Volvo XC40

Started by 2o6, September 21, 2017, 09:19:25 AM

2o6

I'm into it, even if that rear window is a little restrictive. It'd be my choice if I were looking for a car

http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-volvo-xc40-looks-great-and-you-can-own-it-in-a-1818615832

Power comes from a ubiquitous 2.0T

The real interesting thing is the "phone style" lease where you pay a flat rate per month for payment/insurance. I'm kinda into it.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

That rear 1\4 just makes no sense to me
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Submariner

What the hell happened to the rear end?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on September 21, 2017, 10:55:46 AM
That rear 1\4 just makes no sense to me
Nothing back there to see inside or out.  Compliments the distinctive taillights traditional to Volvo and Swedish heritage.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on September 21, 2017, 09:19:25 AM

The real interesting thing is the "phone style" lease where you pay a flat rate per month for payment/insurance. I'm kinda into it.

Is this the only way that Volvo will sell the car, or can you still go through normal purchasing options?

MrH

So the interesting thing about this is the payment method.  It's like Cadillac's service, but should be cheaper.  And you can swap for another Volvo model for short periods it looks like.

All going to come down to price.  If this was <$400/month with no mileage limit, it'd be really tempting.  Unfortunately, it'll probably be like $900/month and no one will do it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

This looks more Citroenish than recent Volvo - inside and out.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

Like it. Volvo design, like Mercedes design, is on a roll.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

veeman

Car looks great and damn it's inexpensive for a Volvo.  I've always found Volvos overpriced but the AWD version starts at $35,200.  The everything included plan (including maintenance and insurance) and then being able to get a new one after 2 years is a great idea (who knows what the monthly charge of this plan is though).

This Chinese ownership thing is working out well for Volvo. 

Galaxy

Really like this. Good that Volvo is able to develop it's design language, after the XC 90, V90/S90 I was a bit concerned that they would do what Audi, and Mercedes are doing.

r0tor

Other then including insurance, I'm not sure what this new purchasing option does over regular leasing?

Plus if you love in a household with more then 1 car, there is usually a multi car discount to take advantage of that you will no longer be able to do.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on September 22, 2017, 01:00:40 PM
Other then including insurance, I'm not sure what this new purchasing option does over regular leasing?

Plus if you love in a household with more then 1 car, there is usually a multi car discount to take advantage of that you will no longer be able to do.

There's also the unlimited mileage and included maintenance.  Car insurance prices are atrocious depending on the town/state you live in.  Savings from multicar discount is probably much less than savings from paying car insurance for one car compared with two. 

Still it all depends on what the monthly fee for this is. It's gotta be much higher than a typical lease.

r0tor

Many luxury companies are already including free maintenance for 3 or 4 years.

At the end if the day they still need to charge you for depreciation (like a lease)  and still have to charge for the insurance to turn a profit.