VW Golf 40-Year Price History Points To Brand Consistency

Started by cawimmer430, September 25, 2017, 02:40:41 AM

cawimmer430

VW Golf 40-Year Price History Points To Brand Consistency

Ever since the VW Rabbit (called Golf elsewhere) was introduced back in 1975, the car that was supposed to replace the Beetle in the U.S. underwent many generational shifts.

Despite all the changes, pricing has remained fairly consistent when adjusted for inflation - is what VWPartsVortex found while conducting this report.

"The Golf and Rabbit before it were always about three things," says Rocco Demas, manager at VW Parts Vortex. "First, the cars have always been economical. Second, the cars have always been designed with an emphasis on premium features and quality."

"Three, the cars have always been fun to drive. While they haven't always been the least expensive car on the road, they've always been well regarded by consumers and critics alike."

When the Rabbit first came out, it offered front-wheel drive, premium interior options and a 70 HP 1.8-liter 4-cylinder engine. Two years later, the diesel version popped up, costing buyers an extra $550 while returning 39.5 mpg (5.95 l/100km) on the highway, and 35 mpg (6.72 l/100km) in the city.

"The Rabbit was one of the nicest, most advanced compact cars you could buy in the 70s and 80s, with an awesome GTI option in the mid-80s that was a blast to drive," added Demas. "Unlike most of the competitor's cars, the Rabbit was consistently considered 'fun to drive' and high performing by critics. That continues to this day."

The Rabbit name stuck all the way until the Golf Mk V was introduced back in 2006, and carried on until 2010 when VW reverted back to the Golf.

Now, if you take inflation into consideration, a 2017 VW Golf costs just $5,000 more than a base 1975 Rabbit, which isn't that much when considering all the extra features found in today's modern cars.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/vw-golf-40-year-price-history-points-to.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Uhhhhh.... a 50% inflation adjusted increase doesn't seem very consistent to me :lol:

But the current Golf is literally as refined as a Mercedes from the 70s-80s and I mean that as a compliment. So there's value there for sure
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 25, 2017, 04:33:36 AM
Uhhhhh.... a 50% inflation adjusted increase doesn't seem very consistent to me :lol:

But the current Golf is literally as refined as a Mercedes from the 70s-80s and I mean that as a compliment. So there's value there for sure

I see the smiley face, so you know that was the inflation of the day.

Payman

I paid $13,200 for my 4-door Golf GL back in Nov 1990. The only options were a crank sunroof and Porsche design alloy wheels (they looked like 924 wheels). Didn't even have a radio... I had an Alpine system installed. I put >330,000 kms on it by the time I sold it in 1998.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 25, 2017, 04:33:36 AM

With a better made interior than a Mercedes from the early 2000s.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.