Would You Be Interested In A Skoda Superb Coupe?

Started by cawimmer430, October 01, 2017, 12:22:22 PM

cawimmer430

Would You Be Interested In A Skoda Superb Coupe?

There was a time when Skoda used to sell coupes too, but that was long before the Volkswagen era.

Now, the Czech automaker keeps its lineup as simple as possible, while recently going after the booming SUV segment(s) with the Kodiaq, and its smaller sibling, the Karoq, while promising to offer electrified models too, in the coming years.

However, despite Skoda's future looking all SUV-ish and green-ish, a rendering artist that goes by the name of Laszlo Nemeth, decided to transform the Superb into a rather stylish two-door coupe.

Changes applied to the company's flagship saloon are minimal, as they include the extended front doors, and that's pretty much it.

Now, it's pretty clear that we won't see a Skoda Superb Coupe, given the automaker's positioning within the Volkswagen Group as a more affordable brand, but this design would work quite nicely. The only problem is that it could cannibalize the Audi A5 Coupe, and that it needs a proper challenger, such as a two-door Ford Mondeo.

Link: http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/would-you-be-interested-in-skoda-superb.html
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

I was going to say no, because fixed roof cars are all worthless unless they're as practical as possible, but that looks good. However, were I in the market, I'd buy a sedan or estate version over it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

This market segment is dead. The last midsized coupe (Accord) died with the new generation.

Weirdly still, the Accord coupe got markedly worse MPG compared to the sedan when equipped with the same engine and transmission combo

cawimmer430

The good news is the Superb is available as a gorgeous wagon.  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 03, 2017, 10:07:34 AM
The good news is the Superb is available as a gorgeous wagon.  :ohyeah:

AWD and a stick and I'd be all over it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

IDK this is like lusting after a Trans Sport over an Old Sillouette

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 10:21:27 AM
IDK this is like lusting after a Trans Sport over an Old Sillouette

I don't understand the language you're using.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2017, 10:25:48 AM
I don't understand the language you're using.

Trans Sport = Superb

Sillouette = Passat

Idk they're the same fucking car, and there's no real differences between the two.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2017, 10:14:52 AM
AWD and a stick and I'd be all over it.

Both of which are available on the Superb. The manual is a 6-speed.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

I'm with 2o6... Passat is boring AF and this is no different. Removing the rear doors only makes it worse. CLS/CC have shown there's no benefit of lopping off rear doors for style, unless you go all the way
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 10:26:45 AM

Trans Sport = Superb

Sillouette = Passat

Idk they're the same fucking car, and there's no real differences between the two.

Okay. But I don't really know what a Trans Sport and a Silhouette are. As cars. I understand the words.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

The GM "Dustbuster" vans of the early 1990s.

Pontiac Trans Sport:

Oldsmobile Silhouette:

Chevrolet Lumina APV:

giant_mtb

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on October 03, 2017, 12:46:53 PM
The GM "Dustbuster" vans of the early 1990s.

Pontiac Trans Sport:

Oldsmobile Silhouette:

Chevrolet Lumina APV:

Oh, okay. I recognize those. It's coming back to me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Why were those things called "Dustbuster" vans?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Cookie Monster

Their profile looks like one of the old school Dustbuster handheld vacuums.

Man, those Dustbusters (both the vacuum and van) were such big pieces of shit. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 03, 2017, 03:28:10 PM

Man, those Dustbusters (both the vacuum and van) were such big pieces of shit. :lol:

We're the vans really POS's?

The 3.1 and 3.8 were pretty reliable, and although it was weird looking it had a lot of innovative features for its day.

They didn't drive good, no, but I'd take a Dustbuster over a Toyota Van or Nissan Vanette or Toyota Previa

Laconian

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 03, 2017, 03:28:10 PM

The windshields were enormous and the dashboards were literally impossible to wipe down without using a broomstick or something. So huge.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

They also look like a light breeze could blow them over.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 03:33:03 PM
We're the vans really POS's?

The 3.1 and 3.8 were pretty reliable, and although it was weird looking it had a lot of innovative features for its day.

They didn't drive good, no, but I'd take a Dustbuster over a Toyota Van or Nissan Vanette or Toyota Previa

I'd much rather have a Previa, but I can see how people might not like it (RWD, mid engine, etc).

What did those vans offer over a Caravan/T&C though?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 03, 2017, 03:42:33 PM
I'd much rather have a Previa, but I can see how people might not like it (RWD, mid engine, etc).

What did those vans offer over a Caravan/T&C though?

The Previa is slow as shit, not easy to work on, and it also has a really high floor with cramped foot wells.

The APV vans had

- rust free plastic bodywork (later used on the Saturns)

- modular seating ( the six individual seats weren't seen in American minivans)

- power sliding door option (wasn't seen until like 2001 on the Chrysler vans)

2o6

I read that in Europe they were a relative hit; the styling had never really been seen before. It also came with a 4 cyl manual over there.

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 03:49:21 PM
The Previa is slow as shit, not easy to work on, and it also has a really high floor with cramped foot wells.

The APV vans had

- rust free plastic bodywork (later used on the Saturns)

- modular seating ( the six individual seats weren’t seen in American minivans)

- power sliding door option (wasn’t seen until like 2001 on the Chrysler vans)

They were also noticeably bigger than a Caravan/Voyager of the time (Have you been in a first- or second-generation Caravan/Voyager? They were actually quite small...), and the 3800 V6 had about 35 more hp than the Caravan/Voyager's V6 (the Chryslers didn't get more powerful 3.3 L and 3.8 L V6s until later).

I knew a guy whose parents had a Previa: it was even more bizarre inside than the Dustbusters, the thing was $Texas when new, and it was gutless as hell (and heavy).

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on October 03, 2017, 03:38:28 PM
The windshields were enormous and the dashboards were literally impossible to wipe down without using a broomstick or something. So huge.

That's most modern rear windows.  It's especially helpful to clean them if the rear seats fold down.

cawimmer430

Ah, I see. I've never seen such a hightech-looking vacuum cleaner from the 1990s before.  :lol:

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 03:50:45 PM
I read that in Europe they were a relative hit; the styling had never really been seen before. It also came with a 4 cyl manual over there.

I've seen a few Pontiac Trans Sports on the road here (it seems they were all sold in white color here...). According to the German Wikipedia entry on it the Euro "Pontiac" Trans Sport was actually an Oldsmobile Silhouette that had Pontiac badges slapped onto it.

And yes, it was available here with an Oldsmobile 2.3-l 4-cylinder engine with 137-horsepower and a 5-speed manual transmission.

GM apparently also planned on sourcing a 90-horsepower 1.9-l diesel engine from PSA but the lower power output made them drop the idea.

In Europa, wo man dank des Renault Espace an modern geformte Minivans gewöhnt war, war das Echo gegenüber dem futuristischen Styling gegenüber aufgeschlossener, und die Verkäufe entwickelten sich beachtlich. Die europäische Version war ab 1994 eine Ausführung des Oldsmobile Silhouette, die durch das Hinzufügen eines Pontiac-Schriftzugs und entsprechender Radkappen zu einem europäischen Pontiac Trans Sport umgewandelt wurde. Eine weitere europäische Besonderheit war das Angebot von Vierzylindermotoren, die sparsamer waren als die in Amerika ausschließlich verkauften Sechszylinder. Ab 1993 gab es einen von Oldsmobile stammenden 2,3 Liter großen Vierzylinder-Vierventil-Benzinmotor, der 101 kW (137 PS) leistete und ausschließlich mit einem Fünfgang-Schaltgetriebe kombiniert wurde. 1995 plante man die Einführung einer Dieselversion. Verwendung sollte ein 1,9-l-Aggregat mit 66 kW (90 PS) von PSA finden, das für das Fahrzeug jedoch zu leistungsschwach war und es somit nie zum Verkauf kam.

Link: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Trans_Sport

www.wimmerfotografie.de

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no