The Most Beautiful & The Ugliest Cars: Lotus

Started by cawimmer430, October 01, 2017, 04:52:52 PM

cawimmer430

MOST BEAUTIFUL

1976-1978 Lotus Esprit S1 (Series I) - For me this is the most beautiful and iconic Lotus ever. I don't like the Series II, Series III and Series IV models at all. The Series I remains the most pure and visually simplest out of all of them.

UGLIEST

1966-1973 Lotus Europa - As iconic as the car is, I've always found these interesting but ugly. Had a shoot with a Series II model last year and it was also cramped. I mean really cramped. No, you don't understand. A 13-year-old kid would have trouble squeezing in behind the wheel. That kind of cramped.

Lotus Eclat / Excel - I don't think the wedge shape translates well into a large and longer car - as you can see here...

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

Agree with your picks, but I must add for most beautiful...

The Seven. Simple, lightweight, iconic.

The original Elan. Plus a vote for ugliest to the revived Elan of 1990.

Honorable mention to the Elise, all gens. I especially like the first round light ones.

FoMoJo

My favourite Lotus

My other favourite

Both beauties.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on October 01, 2017, 05:15:59 PM
The original Elan. Plus a vote for ugliest to the revived Elan of 1990.

The original Elan is a lovely car. I shot one a few years ago.

The design of the 1990s Elan is ok, nothing too shabby. I'm more perplexed why they went with FWD on such a car.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 01, 2017, 06:06:25 PM
My favourite Lotus

Yes!!! If there ever was a racecar that was so visually perfect then it is this one!  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Payman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 02, 2017, 08:00:28 AM

Yes!!! If there ever was a racecar that was so visually perfect then it is this one!  :wub:

That the engine/gearbox was a structural member, bolted to the monocoque and then the rear suspension bits bolted to it still blows my mind.

veeman

I can't remember the last time I've seen a Lotus on the road. 

MX793

Saw an Elise running at the Auto-x yesterday.  We had an Elise (different one) and an Evora run the weekend before.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

Quote from: MX793 on October 02, 2017, 10:20:06 AM
Saw an Elise running at the Auto-x yesterday.  We had an Elise (different one) and an Evora run the weekend before.

Do the owners daily drive them, like you do your Mustang?  Not that it matters.  Super light funky looking cars using 4 cylinder Toyota engines or something like that.  I just don't remember ever seeing them on the road in a good long while.  I see Ferraris, Lambos, Bentleys, Rolls, Maybachs... and the Lotus is affordable.  Maybe I'm missing them although I doubt it. 

giant_mtb

Haven't seen a Lotus on the street in forever, either.  But rare/expensive cars (besides classics) are extra rare in these parts.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on October 02, 2017, 08:07:48 AM
That the engine/gearbox was a structural member, bolted to the monocoque and then the rear suspension bits bolted to it still blows my mind.
This is regular shmegular in the motorcycle world, and I think F1 too. I shudder to think about repair bills on such a configuration, but I agree that it makes for awesome cars.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de