Woman outraged at nearly $1000 uber ride

Started by 2o6, October 02, 2017, 03:34:55 PM

2o6

What a dumbass. Granted, surge fares can get pricey and maybe a little predatory, but she went on nearly a 100 mile ride in a 7.8x charge.

https://jalopnik.com/uber-charges-passenger-clueless-about-surge-pricing-92-1819053368

Uber and Lyft tell you how much the price is surging when you request a ride. This woman is a dumbass.

veeman

I disagree.  She may be a dumbass but 7.8X charge of normal fare is outrageous.  Being a dumbass is not justification for highway robbery.  Uber tried to spin it as "a perfect storm" occurred.  Bullshit.  If they thought it was perfectly justifiable then they wouldn't have returned her money after a reporter called them about it. 

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 01:28:31 AM
I disagree.  She may be a dumbass but 7.8X charge of normal fare is outrageous.  Being a dumbass is not justification for highway robbery.  Uber tried to spin it as "a perfect storm" occurred.  Bullshit.  If they thought it was perfectly justifiable then they wouldn't have returned her money after a reporter called them about it. 

The refund was just trying to make the best of a no-win situation, in which they'd be criticized no matter what. But who's to say what the "right" fare should be for an Uber ride except for Uber? As long as the fare is communicated to the rider -- which it is -- then it's up to them to choose it. The purpose of the surge pricing is to attract more drivers to an area with high demand, which in turn brings the prices back down *and* gives more people a ride. Uber would also be criticized if it couldn't provide enough drivers for high-demand circumstances, or would be criticized if it made the base fare higher.

Maybe the better way of branding it would be to set a fare floor -- a "minimum fare" rather than a "normal fare" -- and be even clearer that the rate is varying constantly. There would still be some people who'd always insist that anything above the bare minimum is unfair, but maybe there would be fewer.

MrH

Highway robbery?  She agreed to it :confused:  If it's too expensive, don't use the service.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Quote from: ifcar on October 03, 2017, 06:52:08 AM
The refund was just trying to make the best of a no-win situation, in which they'd be criticized no matter what. But who's to say what the "right" fare should be for an Uber ride except for Uber? As long as the fare is communicated to the rider -- which it is -- then it's up to them to choose it. The purpose of the surge pricing is to attract more drivers to an area with high demand, which in turn brings the prices back down *and* gives more people a ride. Uber would also be criticized if it couldn't provide enough drivers for high-demand circumstances, or would be criticized if it made the base fare higher.

Maybe the better way of branding it would be to set a fare floor -- a "minimum fare" rather than a "normal fare" -- and be even clearer that the rate is varying constantly. There would still be some people who'd always insist that anything above the bare minimum is unfair, but maybe there would be fewer.

That's all fine.  But 7.8X normal fare is ridiculous.  It's taking advantage of people.  When there is a normal fare which is active 95% of the time, it's normal for a customer who does not use Uber very frequently and/or is not very smart phone savvy to miss that surge pricing is in effect.  And if that surge pricing is reasonable, so be it.  But if that surge pricing causes a normally $120 fare to be $1000, that's ridiculous.  Uber is in a no win situation because they did a dastardly deed.  They are in a no win situation because this sort of surge pricing is just to take advantage of people.  They probably didn't break any laws although perhaps that's debatable.  It's a scam.  That's all it is. 

MrH

Dastardly deed?  The app warns you that surge pricing is in effect, and tells you what it will cost.  And you have to confirm it!  This is 100% on her.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Quote from: MrH on October 03, 2017, 07:20:40 AM
Highway robbery?  She agreed to it :confused:  If it's too expensive, don't use the service.

Then don't return her fare and proclaim to the media that what your company does is reasonable.  To return her fare and then sheepishly claim some bullshit about a perfect storm indicates that Uber knows they engaged in deceptive and egregious behavior.

2o6

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 07:23:25 AM
That's all fine.  But 7.8X normal fare is ridiculous.  It's taking advantage of people.  When there is a normal fare which is active 95% of the time, it's normal for a customer who does not use Uber very frequently and/or is not very smart phone savvy to miss that surge pricing is in effect.  And if that surge pricing is reasonable, so be it.  But if that surge pricing causes a normally $120 fare to be $1000, that's ridiculous.  Uber is in a no win situation because they did a dastardly deed.  They are in a no win situation because this sort of surge pricing is just to take advantage of people.  They probably didn't break any laws although perhaps that's debatable.  It's a scam.  That's all it is.

No it's not.

Uber/Lyft are usually used for short rides, like around a mile. Base fare is $4 in most cities. 7.8x of that would mean that base fare would be $32. Significantly more expensive, but not outrageous - and cheaper and less hassle than a taxi.

Uber didn't do a bad deed - this woman didn't pay attention and asked for a 100 mile ride; which would have been like $150+ anyways.

If uber and lyft didn't do surge pricing, they'd have zero drivers.

veeman

Then Uber is in the right and they should proudly proclaim it.  Correct?!

veeman

There is no reason whatsoever to backtrack and refund her money unless you know, as a company, you engaged in bad practice. 

2o6

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 07:27:24 AM
Then don't return her fare and proclaim to the media that what your company does is reasonable.  To return her fare and then sheepishly claim some bullshit about a perfect storm indicates that Uber knows they engaged in deceptive and egregious behavior.

They returned it out of good will. They had no moral obligation to return her shit.

And secondly, I hope the driver still got this big fare. Why should he get penalized because the passenger was a dumbass? With Uber rates; that would be around $700-750 in my account after one ride. If this was adjusted down or even removed, I'd honestly sue for backed wages.

2o6

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 07:29:18 AM
There is no reason whatsoever to backtrack and refund her money unless you know, as a company, you engaged in bad practice.

Have you ever used Uber?

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 07:29:43 AM

They returned it out of good will. They had no moral obligation to return her shit.

And secondly, I hope the driver still got this big fare. Why should he get penalized because the passenger was a dumbass? With Uber rates; that would be around $700-750 in my account after one ride. If this was adjusted down or even removed, I'd honestly sue for backed wages.

No.  They returned it because they know they screwed her and the public already has a not so great perception of Uber.  They do have a moral obligation to return it to her.  Not a legal obligation but a moral obligation.  If they didn't, they would be defending themselves.  Which they are not.  They are defending "surge pricing" but not defending the amount she was charged.

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 07:30:24 AM

Have you ever used Uber?

I have.  Probably 15 times.  And I have declined rides due to surge pricing.  But I can see a lot of people not realize what's going on. 

veeman

Uber is getting kicked out of cities (London most recently) because they do stupid things.  This is an example of a very very stupid business practice.  7.8X normal fare.  That's stupid.

2o6

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 07:35:37 AM
I have.  Probably 15 times.  And I have declined rides due to surge pricing.  But I can see a lot of people not realize what's going on.

I don't know how; it gives you two steps of confirmation before you accept.

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 07:37:23 AM
Uber is getting kicked out of cities (London most recently) because they do stupid things.  This is an example of a very very stupid business practice.  7.8X normal fare.  That's stupid.

Why is it stupid, though? 7.8x means there's probably very few drivers down there with large demand. As a driver, why should I fight and wait for big crowds and large traffic for what will only end up being $3 for me? Even at 7.8x, $3 turns into $25, which is high but is reasonable for a very short journey.

2o6

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 07:33:05 AM
No.  They returned it because they know they screwed her and the public already has a not so great perception of Uber.  They do have a moral obligation to return it to her.  Not a legal obligation but a moral obligation.  If they didn't, they would be defending themselves.  Which they are not.  They are defending "surge pricing" but not defending the amount she was charged.

Yeah, they're returning out of bad optics due to other PR disasters related to Uber; surge pricing isn't one of them. (LYFT ALSO SURGE PRICES)

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 07:41:37 AM

Yeah, they're returning out of bad optics due to other PR disasters related to Uber; surge pricing isn't one of them. (LYFT ALSO SURGE PRICES)

But it soon will be (bad optics from surge pricing). 

2o6

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 07:44:24 AM
But it soon will be (bad optics from surge pricing).

Lyft and uber have been doing this since their inception.

If you don't like it, call a cab.

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 07:45:01 AM

Lyft and uber have been doing this since their inception.

If you don't like it, call a cab.

Well I think that's what Uber is afraid of.  Plus more likely they're afraid of getting regulated by the govt because of charging folk $1000 for a 2 hour ride. 

veeman

That's one of the reasons medallion taxi cab fares are completely regulated.  To prevent people from being charged $1000 for a 2 hour ride.

2o6

Then don't use the service. She knew the risks, yet she still accepted the ride.

I just hope the driver didn't get screwed.

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 07:52:40 AM
Then don't use the service. She knew the risks, yet she still accepted the ride.

I just hope the driver didn't get screwed.

Well that's an argument for any predatory financial practice.  Then deal with the PR fallout.  And Uber is smart enough to install a mathematical model which would allow 7.8X pricing for a 5 minute ride but not for a 2 hour ride. 

The driver will get paid by Uber out of their billion dollar or whatever coffers.  Just not $1000.  Probably $200. 

2o6

During the OSU vs Oklahoma game, the city surged at 150% basically all day.

By 9pm, it was 400% in some areas. Instead of it being $1.10 a mile, it was $4.40 a mile. I had a gentleman request a ride, was confused about what surge pricing meant (he clearly wanted me to tell him that it doesn't apply to him for some reason) and when I explained his 20 mile ride was going to be close to $100, he canceled. Fair enough.

2o6

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 07:57:34 AM
Well that's an argument for any predatory financial practice.  Then deal with the PR fallout.  And Uber is smart enough to install a mathematical model which would allow 7.8X pricing for a 5 minute ride but not for a 2 hour ride. 

The driver will get paid by Uber out of their billion dollar or whatever coffers.  Just not $1000.  Probably $200.

Why should I get $200 when I was promised $1000?

giant_mtb

Supply and demand. :huh:

Also, she changed up the trip after the ride was under way.  I don't know how she fucked up...the app tells you how much it's going to be. It doesn't just magically show up on your credit card statement.  She fucked up and had to complain that she "literally" felt robbed...lol.  I don't believe she intended to accept such an expensive ride...but she did.

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 03, 2017, 07:58:56 AM
Why should I get $200 when I was promised $1000?

That I can understand.  I have no idea what Uber will compensate him/her.  I hear they treat their drivers with a lot of respect.   

CaminoRacer

I don't think Uber has a whole lot of cash. Thought they were struggling a bit?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Xer0

You'd think with all of the millions of stories on social media of people being idiots when it comes to surge pricing that eventually you'd pay attention.  But nope.  It works perfectly fine for 99.9% of the people out there and solves very many problems.  I really wish Uber hadn't backed down on this because really, the customer is rarely ever right.