Woman outraged at nearly $1000 uber ride

Started by 2o6, October 02, 2017, 03:34:55 PM

veeman

Yes being told by Expedia that you're just shit out of luck that your hotel reservation got cancelled and no you won't get refunded; didn't you read the fine print?!

Yes being told by United that just because you're sitting in a seat on the runway, we've overbooked and we're kicking you out and no we're not paying for your hotel tab; didn't you read your contract?!

Yes being charged $1000 for a 2 hour cab ride because of surge pricing; what is normally a $120 fare; yes for that much money you can fly you and your friend back and forth from Chicago to London; but hey, shucks man, it says right there on your smart phone what you're going to be charged?!

Customers are rarely right and all this social media backlash is all about entitlement; until it happens to you.

Xer0

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 07:36:45 PM
Yes being told by Expedia that you're just shit out of luck that your hotel reservation got cancelled and no you won't get refunded; didn't you read the fine print?!

Yes being told by United that just because you're sitting in a seat on the runway, we've overbooked and we're kicking you out and no we're not paying for your hotel tab; didn't you read your contract?!

Yes being charged $1000 for a 2 hour cab ride because of surge pricing; what is normally a $120 fare; yes for that much money you can fly you and your friend back and forth from Chicago to London; but hey, shucks man, it says right there on your smart phone what you're going to be charged?!

Customers are rarely right and all this social media backlash is all about entitlement; until it happens to you.

You're a little confused.  Yes being charged $1000 for a 2 hour cab ride after you A) accepted the 7.8x surge multiple times and B) added an additional 98 miles on top of your 2 original ones is completely justified.  Your examples are garbage too as Uber didn't sell you a hotel/plane seat that doesn't exist; they offered you a ride that at that moment only existed because of surge pricing.  You're free to take it or leave, but you don't accept then bitch after the fact that they charged you too much. 

CaminoRacer

Yeah, it's like buying a $30,000 plane ticket and then bitching about it after you land.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Quote from: Xer0 on October 03, 2017, 08:49:37 PM
You're a little confused.  Yes being charged $1000 for a 2 hour cab ride after you A) accepted the 7.8x surge multiple times and B) added an additional 98 miles on top of your 2 original ones is completely justified.  Your examples are garbage too as Uber didn't sell you a hotel/plane seat that doesn't exist; they offered you a ride that at that moment only existed because of surge pricing.  You're free to take it or leave, but you don't accept then bitch after the fact that they charged you too much. 

Plenty of people think that Uber is justified in charging her $1000 for a 2 hour cab ride because it was demarcated as such and one has to press "accept".  And if they didn't charge her $1000, no driver would be able to take her to the airport.  I mean, come on, what driver would take take her 2 hours for $240 or $360, right? 

No, I'm not confused at all about it.  Apparently Uber isn't either as they returned her money.  They didn't return it because legal expenses would outweigh any moral gain they had.  They didn't return it because they had a poor legal case. 

They returned it because they didn't want to look like assholes.  They returned it because they didn't want Chicago local government to

a) kick them out
b) impose greater regulation

Both of which are not improbable when news gets out what surge pricing can do if you take a longer than usual cab ride.

What would you say if they charged her $10,000?  How about $100,000?  Its surge pricing man.  Quit bitching about it bitch!  You're the one who pressed the accept button!  Now hand me over your fucking life savings.  Read the fucking price you dumbass!  We got a game going on man and if you need a ride, you gotta pay what's advertised.  I know, I know, it's not the normal price but fuck man, its game day.  What, you didn't read the price?  Well, see here, this here "accept" button on your smart phone acts as an electronic signature.  It's a binding contract which indicates you fully understand and accept the price.  Yes, the price is between 70 and 8O times the normal price but it's fucking game day man and I don't think we're going to be able to get you to the airport for less than $10,000 today.  Tomorrow, it'll be $120 because there's nothing going on.

veeman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 03, 2017, 09:00:52 PM
Yeah, it's like buying a $30,000 plane ticket and then bitching about it after you land.

Yes, people rightfully bitched about outrageous airline pricing to leave Florida prior to the hurricane and due to extremely negative social media, most airlines indicated they would no longer engage in such egregious business practice. 

It's different if the typical price is $30,000 (something like first class from NYC to Australia).  It's outrageous if the typical price is $300 but because of surge pricing you're going to have to pay $30,000. It's also different if due to extenuating circumstances, the cost to operate the airline during a period of difficulty was 10 times more.  It wasn't.  The storm hadn't hit yet.  It was just greed.  And social media called them out on it and they could not defend it.  It's very difficult to defend asshole behavior.  It's probably better business practice to not engage in it in the first place. 

CaminoRacer

She had the choice to deny it. I don't see the argument here.

Would you buy this and then complain that you got ripped off afterward?

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-feet-Braided-Cable/dp/B003CT08E4

veeman

I would if the typical price for the exact same cable was $120 but because it was "surge price asshole day" and I needed that particular cable to get to the airport for a flight, I was charged 7.8X what it normally cost on the "not surge price asshole day".  I would complain I got ripped off.

CaminoRacer

Really? You'd actually buy it? You wouldn't pass and find a different solution?

I don't believe the market is that inelastic.

2o6

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 11:44:25 PM
I would if the typical price for the exact same cable was $120 but because it was "surge price asshole day" and I needed that particular cable to get to the airport for a flight, I was charged 7.8X what it normally cost on the "not surge price asshole day".  I would complain I got ripped off.

Airplane tickets aren't fixed either.

If you needed to fly to NYC with a day's notice, and the ticket was $2000, would you fly? If you book weeks in advance, it could be as low as $130.

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 11:12:55 PM
Plenty of people think that Uber is justified in charging her $1000 for a 2 hour cab ride because it was demarcated as such and one has to press "accept".  And if they didn't charge her $1000, no driver would be able to take her to the airport.  I mean, come on, what driver would take take her 2 hours for $240 or $360, right? 

No, I'm not confused at all about it.  Apparently Uber isn't either as they returned her money.  They didn't return it because legal expenses would outweigh any moral gain they had.  They didn't return it because they had a poor legal case. 

They returned it because they didn't want to look like assholes.  They returned it because they didn't want Chicago local government to

a) kick them out
b) impose greater regulation

Both of which are not improbable when news gets out what surge pricing can do if you take a longer than usual cab ride.

What would you say if they charged her $10,000?  How about $100,000?  Its surge pricing man.  Quit bitching about it bitch!  You're the one who pressed the accept button!  Now hand me over your fucking life savings.  Read the fucking price you dumbass!  We got a game going on man and if you need a ride, you gotta pay what's advertised.  I know, I know, it's not the normal price but fuck man, its game day.  What, you didn't read the price?  Well, see here, this here "accept" button on your smart phone acts as an electronic signature.  It's a binding contract which indicates you fully understand and accept the price.  Yes, the price is between 70 and 8O times the normal price but it's fucking game day man and I don't think we're going to be able to get you to the airport for less than $10,000 today.  Tomorrow, it'll be $120 because there's nothing going on.

:rolleyes:

Surge pricing caps at 10x.

Secondly, if you don't want to pay the price, then stay the fuck home. You want people down here driving in hellish conditions for absolutely free. These services are very clear about what they're charging you.

Not to mention there are other ways of getting there

- She could have walked out of a surging area, usually just a short walk of a few blocks will change the pricing.

- she could have called a regular cab

- she could have rode the fucking bus

- she could have waited it out. Surges are time based and they;re evaluated roughly every 120 seconds. A 15-30 minute wait would have likely resulted in a lower price.

Uber and Lyft are a net gain for so many municipalities. Drunk driving rates have taken a nosedive post Uber/Lyft introduction.

Secondly, pricing gouging because of a natural disaster isn't the same as some idiot who doesn't know how to use an app.

veeman

Kevin, if that fare was yours and you got a vibe that the customer in your backseat (who had changed her route/destination while in your car) was not cognizant of what she had just signed up for, ... would you have considered stopping by the side of the road and 'splaining it out?  Would your moral sense of right and wrong stop you from proceeding until you were sure that's what she really wanted to do?  Because as an Uber driver you know what a typical fare is and what she really should be paying for this.  Or would you smack your lips, take her on her journey, and dream about the new carbon fiber hood you're gonna get for your ride?  Fuck her, fuck her sorry ass stupid brain, learn how to use the app... vs I'm not going to make a fool of this stranger because it's the right thing to do.

Why you pulling over, do we have a flat tire?  No ma'am nothing is wrong with the car.  Are you aware ma'am that surge pricing is in effect right now because of the football game and because you've changed your route, and it is a long route during a very busy time, Uber is charging you $1000 for this ride?  I just want to be sure you know about this.  I'm happy to take you and I realize you might be in a hurry.  What?  $1000?!  These apps are so confusing.  My son downloaded this app for me a few weeks ago and I've been using it.  It's so much cheaper than a taxi cab he said.  He showed me how to use it.  Why is it $1000? The app was acting a bit different and was saying "surge" but I didn't know what that meant.  It's always been much cheaper. Jesus I'm getting late and I'm supposed to fly with my friend to Orlando.  What should I do?  My flight is only $350.  I understand ma'am.  Because of the current game and traffic, I can't change the fare.  I have no control over it.  You can wait 30 minutes or I can take you 5 minutes from here away from the stadium and then you can try using the app again there.  I'll just wait right next to you. I'm sure it'll be much cheaper then.  I know it's real silly but I don't control the app or pricing.  It's because we're in a real busy area and time the pricing structure has drastically changed.  O.K. fine.  Please do that.  And thank you.  I'm so sorry for wasting your time.  It's OK. 

Vs

You've changed your route ma'am.  No problem.  I'll get you there.

Yeah.  My son downloaded this app for me a week ago.  It's so much cheaper than taxis.  And the cars are so much nicer and cleaner than yellow cabs. And I have to wait forever for taxis. Yes ma'am.  Care for some water?  Sure.  Thanks. I never get offered that in a yellow cab.  That's what's makes these new companies so great.  It's always about the customer. ...  thanks for the lift.  No problem ma'am.  Oh if you want to review me, please give me 5 stars ma'am.  it doesn't look good if us drivers get anything less than 5 stars.  O.K.  ...  muhahahaha!!!! New carbon fiber hood for me! 

2o6

Quote from: veeman on October 04, 2017, 05:40:13 AM
Kevin, if that fare was yours and you got a vibe that the customer in your backseat (who had changed her route/destination while in your car) was not cognizant of what she had just signed up for, ... would you have considered stopping by the side of the road and 'splaining it out?  Would your moral sense of right and wrong stop you from proceeding until you were sure that's what she really wanted to do?  Because as an Uber driver you know what a typical fare is and what she really should be paying for this.  Or would you smack your lips, take her on her journey, and dream about the new carbon fiber hood you're gonna get for your ride?  Fuck her, fuck her sorry ass stupid brain, learn how to use the app... vs I'm not going to make a fool of this stranger because it's the right thing to do.

Wtf do you mean "should be paying". Most Uber Drivers are people doing this on the side. And yes, fuck her for being dumb as hell.

Why you pulling over, do we have a flat tire?  No ma'am nothing is wrong with the car.  Are you aware ma'am that surge pricing is in effect right now because of the football game and because you've changed your route, and it is a long route during a very busy time, Uber is charging you $1000 for this ride?  I just want to be sure you know about this.  I'm happy to take you and I realize you might be in a hurry.  What?  $1000?!  These apps are so confusing.  My son downloaded this app for me a few weeks ago and I've been using it.  It's so much cheaper than a taxi cab he said.  He showed me how to use it.  Why is it $1000? The app was acting a bit different and was saying "surge" but I didn't know what that meant.  It's always been much cheaper. Jesus I'm getting late and I'm supposed to fly with my friend to Orlando.  What should I do?  My flight is only $350.  I understand ma'am.  Because of the current game and traffic, I can't change the fare.  I have no control over it.  You can wait 30 minutes or I can take you 5 minutes from here away from the stadium and then you can try using the app again there.  I'll just wait right next to you. I'm sure it'll be much cheaper then.  I know it's real silly but I don't control the app or pricing.  It's because we're in a real busy area and time the pricing structure has drastically changed.  O.K. fine.  Please do that.  And thank you.  I'm so sorry for wasting your time.  It's OK. 

He probably DID ask her, but we don't know that from this article. Also, if you're late to a flight - that's your own damn fault.

Vs

You've changed your route ma'am.  No problem.  I'll get you there.

Yeah.  My son downloaded this app for me a week ago.  It's so much cheaper than taxis.  And the cars are so much nicer and cleaner than yellow cabs. And I have to wait forever for taxis. Yes ma'am.  Care for some water?  Sure.  Thanks. I never get offered that in a yellow cab.  That's what's makes these new companies so great.  It's always about the customer. ...  thanks for the lift.  No problem ma'am.  Oh if you want to review me, please give me 5 stars ma'am.  it doesn't look good if us drivers get anything less than 5 stars.  O.K.  ...  muhahahaha!!!! New carbon fiber hood for me!

I'll ask again: Have you actually used Uber or Lyft? Because it sounds like you want this shit to be free, when arguably the price floor is too low in the first place.

I'm gonna say it - the customer isn't always right. Sometimes they're fucking wrong, and you've gotta take one for the team to make them feel better.

Besides, this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, everyone else knows not do to this, and they have no issue with refunds etc.

2o6

Secondly, most rideshare drivers stopped offering water because we don't get paid enough for this shit.

2o6

I'm supposed to go to SF in about three weeks. My ticket was $292, and prices were low as $189 if I booked a few weeks earlier than I did.

If I wanted to go to SF later today, it would be $1100.

Is United being unfair?

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on October 04, 2017, 08:17:32 AM
Secondly, most rideshare drivers stopped offering water because we don't get paid enough for this shit.

I've had plenty offer water, gum, mints, et al. I never take it. Keep your money man; it's nice of you to offer, but I'm not trying to cut into your income.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

I never drank the water.  I felt like I should pay for it and not take advantage of the driver :lol:

Just because Uber screws their drivers does not make it OK to also screw passengers.  There's a 10x limit because it doesn't pass the sniff test to charge more for short distance travel next to a stadium during game day.  It doesn't pass the sniff test to charge $1000 for a 2 hour cab ride because the ride was started or changed in a surge price area with the majority of the ride occurring in a non-surge price area.  Don't charge her $120.  Charge her $300.  There are mathematical models which can do this in today's day and age. 

I know you're pissed at Uber.  And i know Uber treats its drivers like shit.  That does not excuse her charged fare.

And... Uber did not care for the optics of this story, particularly at a time when Rahm Emanuel is considering increasing airport charges for Uber and Lyft drivers because of lost Chicago revenue from decreased medallion taxi rides. 

2o6

Sounds like a taxi problem, not an Uber problem.

Look, I don't know how to further explain to you that this woman intentionally failed to realize after a giant ass popup tells her her ride cost multiplier. Uber is scummy, but I'm not convinced that they're the scummy ones here.

Also your $300 price is arbitrary as shit.

veeman

It wasn't meant to be exact.  Of course it was arbitrary.  I didn't do the mathematical model. 

I hear her sob story and I thumbs upped it.  You hear it and you thumbs downed it.  We're coming from two different points of view.  You come at it from a driver who has been repeatedly shafted by Uber.  I come at it from a son who downloaded Uber for his 68 year old Mom 1 year ago and talking her through the phone on how to use it to get from my house to Hartford airport 1 hour away at 4:00 a.m. because of a family emergency and how pissed I'd be if they charged her $1000 for it after 'splaining to her that Uber is a much much better modern take on yellow cab taxis.

ifcar

Quote from: veeman on October 04, 2017, 08:45:58 AM
It wasn't meant to be exact.  Of course it was arbitrary.  I didn't do the mathematical model. 

I hear her sob story and I thumbs upped it.  You hear it and you thumbs downed it.  We're coming from two different points of view.  You come at it from a driver who has been repeatedly shafted by Uber.  I come at it from a son who downloaded Uber for his 68 year old Mom 1 year ago and talking her through the phone on how to use it to get from my house to Hartford airport 1 hour away at 4:00 a.m. because of a family emergency and how pissed I'd be if they charged her $1000 for it after 'splaining to her that Uber is a much much better modern take on yellow cab taxis.

So you're saying you like Uber more, but only if customers get refunds if they ignore how it actually works? It sounds like you *don't* prefer the Uber model. You'd rather have a fleet of full-time cabbies working on fixed schedules at fixed rates than individuals who decide, based on pricing fluctuations, when it's worthwhile to pick you up in their own car. Uber's price structure is modeled around the flexibility that a normal cab company can't provide -- that is literally the entire point of Uber, except for being picked up in a Corolla instead of a Crown Victoria.

People just want to have it both ways, and it's unfortunate that sometimes they get refunds when they complain about it.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on October 04, 2017, 08:53:28 AM
So you're saying you like Uber more, but only if customers get refunds if they ignore how it actually works? It sounds like you *don't* prefer the Uber model. You'd rather have a fleet of full-time cabbies working on fixed schedules at fixed rates than individuals who decide, based on pricing fluctuations, when it's worthwhile to pick you up in their own car. Uber's price structure is modeled around the flexibility that a normal cab company can't provide -- that is literally the entire point of Uber, except for being picked up in a Corolla instead of a Crown Victoria.

People just want to have it both ways, and it's unfortunate that sometimes they get refunds when they complain about it.

This.

Uber makes you confirm the surge rate by typing it in before you request. Also FWIW, this woman isn't "Old". She's a middle aged woman who left a concert.

veeman

Quote from: ifcar on October 04, 2017, 08:53:28 AM

No.  I'm saying $1000 for a 2 hour cab ride is highway robbery and Uber could not justify it in the media and so refunded her.  And you believe it's unfortunate they did.  And I disagree with you. 

MrH

It is highway robbery.  I can't believe she justified it either by agreeing to it :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: veeman on October 04, 2017, 09:18:56 AM
No.  I'm saying $1000 for a 2 hour cab ride is highway robbery and Uber could not justify it in the media and so refunded her.  And you believe it's unfortunate they did.  And I disagree with you. 

SHE'S THE ONE THAT ACCEPTED IT. 

veeman

And I also believe there was a high level meeting between Uber Execs which went something like this -

"This lady accepted a ride, agreed upon the price, and now wants a refund"

"That's bullshit."

"I know.  But it's Chicago and Rahm Emanuel..."

"It's still bullshit"

"Yup" 

"How much was her ride"

"$1000.  2 hours."

"What?  Say that again?"

"$1000.  It was a surge pricing issue"

"Fuck.  This doesn't look good.  Not good at all.  $1000.  Fuck.  Return her dough."

"Yes sir"

"You know, we should look at this surge pricing modeling?"

"Yeah.  We should"

"Fuck man.  $1000.  We're fucked.  In Chicago too.  Fucking Democratic heathen. Make up some bullshit about why surge pricing is needed and refund, refund, refund"

"Already on it"

2o6

It probably didn't go that high. It probably stayed in the call-center level of complaints.

2o6

If surge pricing didn't exist, everyone would stop driving and we'd be back to where we were in 2007.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on October 04, 2017, 09:30:11 AM
If surge pricing didn't exist, everyone would stop driving and we'd be back to where we were in 2007.

^^^^^^^^

veeman

I don't disagree with the need for surge pricing  $1000 for 2 hours when the majority of the ride is outside the surge price zone is stupid.

Y'all disagree with me.  Fine.  I'm done.

2o6

Surge areas are only a few blocks wide. If they were only charging surge pricing in the very small distance where it's in effect, they wouldn't really make any money, and the surge pricing would be moot.

This is her own damn fault.

Lebowski

It's clearly the woman's fault. Veeman's argument that paying her somehow amounts to admission of guilt on the pet of uber is erroneous imo.  Companies don't like disgruntled customers and don't like bad press, bad reviews etc. Companies issue refunds even with the customer is wrong all the time.

"The customer is always right" is not a literal statement, it's more like "treat the customer as if they are right".   

shp4man

I've never had an Uber or Lyft ride. Took a taxi one time about 15 years ago. Used to hitchhike when I was a kid. It was dangerous then, suicide now.