Woman outraged at nearly $1000 uber ride

Started by 2o6, October 02, 2017, 03:34:55 PM

Lebowski

Quote from: shp4man on October 04, 2017, 01:13:31 PM

I've never had an Uber or Lyft ride. Took a taxi one time about 15 years ago. Used to hitchhike when I was a kid. It was dangerous then, suicide now.

Aren't you a drinker?  Or just at home?

FoMoJo

Quote from: veeman on October 04, 2017, 05:40:13 AM
Yeah.  My son downloaded this app for me a week ago.  It's so much cheaper than taxis.  And the cars are so much nicer and cleaner than yellow cabs. And I have to wait forever for taxis. Yes ma'am.  Care for some water?  Sure.  Thanks. I never get offered that in a yellow cab.  That's what's makes these new companies so great.  It's always about the customer. ...  thanks for the lift.  No problem ma'am.  Oh if you want to review me, please give me 5 stars ma'am.  it doesn't look good if us drivers get anything less than 5 stars.  O.K.  ...  muhahahaha!!!! New carbon fiber hood for me! 
This could be my wife.  Not only is she technically incompetent, she's not very good at arithmetic either.  However, what she is good at is speaking her mind.  If she was told that she had to pay $1000 for a 2 hour car ride, God help the poor driver who's trying to collect their fare. 

Some people don't pay attention to apps and stuff like surge pricing.  They don't even know what it means.  I'm pretty sure that if the woman knew that the ride was going to cost her a thousand bucks, she sure as hell wouldn't have accepted it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Quote from: Lebowski on October 04, 2017, 01:28:55 PM

Aren't you a drinker?  Or just at home?

Don't go out drinking unless there's a sober driver Or it's a hotel bar and have a room.

Soup DeVille

Uber really was never set up for long rides in any case.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 04, 2017, 02:36:00 PM
Uber really was never set up for long rides in any case.

Yes. If someone gave me a long ride, I would kinda be a little ticked off. Granted it's $$$, but what if I had plans that day? I had someone do that to me a few months ago; they took a Lyft ride to Canton, OH (115 miles) and that was Four hours of my day, gone. Good thing I didn't have plans.

TBR

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2017, 11:17:18 PM
Yes, people rightfully bitched about outrageous airline pricing to leave Florida prior to the hurricane and due to extremely negative social media, most airlines indicated they would no longer engage in such egregious business practice. 

It's different if the typical price is $30,000 (something like first class from NYC to Australia).  It's outrageous if the typical price is $300 but because of surge pricing you're going to have to pay $30,000. It's also different if due to extenuating circumstances, the cost to operate the airline during a period of difficulty was 10 times more.  It wasn't.  The storm hadn't hit yet.  It was just greed.  And social media called them out on it and they could not defend it.  It's very difficult to defend asshole behavior.  It's probably better business practice to not engage in it in the first place.

Eh, airlines didn't really engage in any egregious business practice. They just let their normal algorithms run. The basic principle of these algorithms is to look at how many tickets were sold vs same flight at the same time the previous year. Because of the hurricane, something that is obviously not built into their models, things were thrown out of whack. It isn't like there's some guy sitting somewhere setting prices on each seat for each flight who decided to screw over Floridians for a little extra profit. Once it was pointed out to them, they (I think it was Delta in particular) went through significant manual work to interrupt those algorithms and put a cap on it.