Electric Charging

Started by AutobahnSHO, October 14, 2017, 07:59:01 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on October 17, 2017, 10:17:56 AM
There are parts of the country where there are no teenagers? I'd like to move there.

If the internet service is better and they have a fairly decent gaming console, they have better things to do.

So they're there; but you never have to actually see them.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 17, 2017, 10:22:59 AM
If the internet service is better and they have a fairly decent gaming console, they have better things to do.

So they're there; but you never have to actually see them.

Internet or not, I think punk kids will be punk kids.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on October 17, 2017, 10:24:17 AM
Internet or not, I think punk kids will be punk kids.

I don't have such problems.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

There are parts of the country where there are no teenagers? I'd like to move there.

Florida.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Raza  on October 17, 2017, 06:27:09 AM
We considered an electric car because the city will give you a dedicated charging spot in front of your house. But good luck enforcing that in a city; you'd be on the phone with the police asking for cars to be towed more often than you'd be parking where you're supposed to park. Then, when you do park there, you're asking for vandalism.

I really don't think electric charging is viable for anyone who doesn't have their own garage to do it in. Some punk kid would walk around unplugging all the cars all the time if the charging is done outside. Can you imagine? I mean, if we live in a world where someone would smash a windshield for no reason, electric cars are a perfect target for sowing that little brand of punkass chaos.

Unplugging would be the least that they would do. More likely they would go around town stealing all of the charging cables and stripping them for copper. And it would be adults doing it to get quick money for drugs.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Raza  on October 17, 2017, 06:27:09 AM
We considered an electric car because the city will give you a dedicated charging spot in front of your house. But good luck enforcing that in a city; you'd be on the phone with the police asking for cars to be towed more often than you'd be parking where you're supposed to park. Then, when you do park there, you're asking for vandalism.

I really don't think electric charging is viable for anyone who doesn't have their own garage to do it in. Some punk kid would walk around unplugging all the cars all the time if the charging is done outside. Can you imagine? I mean, if we live in a world where someone would smash a windshield for no reason, electric cars are a perfect target for sowing that little brand of punkass chaos.
This is a valid point. How do you protect charging apparatus from the thuggery of the skells that infest our cities?
Or even accidental damage from innocent people crossing the streets & snagging cables.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 17, 2017, 10:34:36 AM
I don't have such problems.

To be fair, though, you don't have an electric car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: RomanChariot on October 17, 2017, 11:10:51 AM
Unplugging would be the least that they would do. More likely they would go around town stealing all of the charging cables and stripping them for copper. And it would be adults doing it to get quick money for drugs.

I didn't even think of that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

Many of the grocery stores here have electric charging stations. The city codes require mixed commercial/residential buildings have a certain number of charging ports. Higher voltage charging is reducing the charge time (IIRC we have 1000V chargers which give heavy heavy Teslas about 120 miles per hour charge). Batteries are getting more energy dense, so charging doesn't have to happen as often. Some companies offer charging as a cheap perk for employees; it's a reasonable transportation benefit if you consider that a 60KW car can be filled for under five bucks.

IMO we are converging on EV feasibility from a number of angles at once.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on October 17, 2017, 12:15:06 PM
Many of the grocery stores here have electric charging stations. The city codes require mixed commercial/residential buildings have a certain number of charging ports. Higher voltage charging is reducing the charge time (IIRC we have 1000V chargers which give heavy heavy Teslas about 120 miles per hour charge). Batteries are getting more energy dense, so charging doesn't have to happen as often. Some companies offer charging as a cheap perk for employees; it's a reasonable transportation benefit if you consider that a 60KW car can be filled for under five bucks.

I shudder to think what's going to happen when those thousand volt cables which hang out in the elements year round start to crack and peel their insulation off.

Laconian

And what about people overfilling their cars with gasoline, or using bad filler equipment?

There's a whole lot of software monitoring and two way serial communication going on while it dispenses electricity. I would expect any sort of abnormal discharge would cause the unit to clamp down and enter maintenance-required mode. It's probably still safer than people messing around with gas.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on October 17, 2017, 12:20:00 PM
And what about people overfilling their cars with gasoline, or using bad filler equipment?

There's a whole lot of software monitoring and two way serial communication going on while it dispenses electricity. I would expect any sort of abnormal discharge would cause the unit to clamp down and enter maintenance-required mode. It's probably still safer than people messing around with gas.

Of course there's short and arc protection built into them; but rarely is any of that quick enough.

Gas pumps exist almost exclusively at gas stations; which means there's at least some sort of active oversight. When you have chargers scattered all over the city, and vehicles charging unattended, it becomes a different story.
I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, but a potential concern.

shp4man

Ya, I can see some safety issues coming up when you're playing with 300 Volts. Nothing that couldn't be overcome.

GoCougs

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 17, 2017, 09:55:26 AM

Building private garages isn't going to help current infrastructure. Plus, from what I've seen around here, most new housing developments are for apartments/condos with no garages.

An acquaintance is the head of a nonprofit that does nothing but lobby the city to NOT allowing for building of parking spots for new housing for the explicit purpose of eventually getting cars out of the city (and true to form, this acquaintance lives in an expensive home in the nice part of the city with off-street parking).

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on October 17, 2017, 01:47:59 PM
An acquaintance is the head of a nonprofit that does nothing but lobby the city to NOT allowing for building of parking spots for new housing for the explicit purpose of eventually getting cars out of the city (and true to form, this acquaintance lives in an expensive home in the nice part of the city with off-street parking).

too bad I'm not an evil advocate, and way too lazy- sounds like prime social media harassment fodder.
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on October 17, 2017, 12:15:06 PM

Well, except that EVs are still huge net money losers for automakers despite government subsidies, irrational investor exuberance, and corporate largess...

CaminoRacer

:facepalm:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Which city? Seattle? As if they need any help with their scarcity of parking...

Capitol Hill is a fucking nightmare to find parking in on weekends. You can literally while away half an hour of your evening just looking for a spot. And then it turns out it's illegal b/c of some kind of encumberance. I seldom visit Seattle anymore.

GoCougs

Yes, Seattle, and this acquaintance (relative of a good friend) is apparently quite the political thing around town - and they have been successful.

It matters. Since most of Seattle's new residential construction is high rise buildings, there is indeed theoretical (underground/lower floor) space for parking, but they have been successful in changing zoning to lessen the number of spots available.

Capitol Hill is a PITA but I manage. Sometimes will park at friends too.

12,000 RPM

Plenty of teenagers in my subdivision now, and my NYC apartment. No vandalism :huh: Shitholes = shitholes by the identity property :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 17, 2017, 04:43:37 PM
Plenty of teenagers in my subdivision now, and my NYC apartment. No vandalism :huh: Shitholes = shitholes by the identity property :lol:

There's zero vandalism? I find that hard to believe.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on October 17, 2017, 04:44:58 PM

Dudes in and near Detroit would chop the cables off just for the scrap copper.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 18, 2017, 06:09:28 PM
Dudes in and near Detroit would chop the cables off just for the scrap copper.

Well, there's that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

Made a meme about electric charging...

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 17, 2017, 04:44:58 PM
Well, I haven't experienced vandalism, nor have I seen any talk of it on my subdivision's Nextdoor page, and it's a neighborhood with 28K houses and its own school district :huh:

giant_mtb

28k houses?  That's not a neighborhood. That's a town. :lol:

r0tor

Town... I think that's a county around here
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Well, there are some apartments and townhouses too. But like I said, haven't seen any issues with vandalism. Some break ins though, but rare enough that they freak people out when they happen.

giant_mtb

But you consider 28k houses a neighborhood?  Do you think a school district is always a neighborhood?  Do you know all of these 28k+ people?  Your definition of a neighborhood is fucked. :lol: