Porsche Passport

Started by 68_427, October 18, 2017, 05:44:43 AM

12,000 RPM

I think our deductibles are high as well. $1000. We can afford it
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

veeman

People with high incomes/high net worth usually don't just have liability insurance. Also a good many of them probably have supplemental umbrella policies of $1 million plus on top of standard comprehensive/collision auto insurance. 

This isn't economically a good deal but it's convenient/very cool and many people don't have a love affair with their Porsche and would rather not deal with taking time out of their day to go to the dealership because of a strange noise coming from their car or a check engine light.

I could totally do something like this for my wife's car at a much much lower price point for a luxury or near luxury brand.  Oil change every 5,000 miles, tires and brakes every 35,000-50,000 miles, a recall or two, weird noises or electronic gremlins a couple of times, new battery and spark plugs and timing belt at 100 thousand miles, new headlights and brake/turn signal lights at 100 thousand miles, ... over a 5 to 7 year course you've spent a lot of time out of your life taking care of this stuff.  Just being honest here but these are sort of "man" things that you have to do.  You can't have your wife or nanny do this sort of stuff in most households.  Especially at a stealership where you don't know what they're going to "recommend". 

Kid vomits in the backseat on the way back from the birthday party.  Yeah you clean it up.  But kind of half ass.  It's not too much your problem.  Let them deal with it.  Hey, yeah, can you drop off a Macan tomorrow morning at my house and take back the existing one. I got some golf clubs in the back and remind the guy to make sure he moves everything over. 

r0tor

I think a hangup of mine is a good car is an emotional attachment to me while this program treats them like rental movies.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: Rockraven on October 18, 2017, 07:14:19 AM
Insurance included is a huge benefit. Also, you're not financing and insuring a Boxster for the summer and a Macan for the winter, and you don't have to garage either one for the season.  :hmm:

For me, insurance for a Boxster is like $1100 a year. 911 is probably around the same. Not that much savings.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

You know what would make this program awesome?

If you could rent any Porsche from the brand's history. $3K a month to be able to try anything from a 959 to one of those vintage narrow bodies is a steal. Hell, they could just limit it to the Carrera equivalents and below.... a 964 C2 would be pretty slick; something like a 964 Turbo would be interesting to try, etc. I just feel like modern Porsches are good but not super interesting, especially out of the context of the brand's history. Being able to go from top to bottom would be a lot more meaningful to people, I think.

veeman

That would be real cool but then you're got big time maintenance/reliability costs associated with older Porsches.  The newer Porsches, once they hit 35,000 miles or so and are 3 years old, will probably be sold as certified used Porsches and still net Porsche big money.

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 18, 2017, 06:49:48 PM

If you could rent any Porsche from the brand's history. $3K a month to be able to try anything from a 959 to one of those vintage narrow bodies is a steal. Hell, they could just limit it to the Carrera equivalents and below.... a 964 C2 would be pretty slick; something like a 964 Turbo would be interesting to try, etc. I just feel like modern Porsches are good but not super interesting, especially out of the context of the brand's history. Being able to go from top to bottom would be a lot more meaningful to people, I think.

Aircooled prices are too high
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on October 18, 2017, 07:29:08 PM
That would be real cool but then you're got big time maintenance/reliability costs associated with older Porsches.  The newer Porsches, once they hit 35,000 miles or so and are 3 years old, will probably be sold as certified used Porsches and still net Porsche big money.
They would factor the maintenance into the cost. And the reliability is part of the experience. They could def bundle in roadside support at that cost (and truthfully I don't think old Porsches are that unreliable)

CaminoRacer

Old Porsches have a bit of upkeep maintenance (carb fiddling, etc) otherwise I'd agree that they're pretty reliable.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 18, 2017, 06:49:48 PM

...what?  A 959?  They made <350 of those and they're worth millions.

Trying to maintain a fleet of old 911s and ensure availability to all clients would be a total nightmare.  Not to mention that the value of those fluctuate quite a bit.  Trying to price that and risk adjust for it would be impossible.  What you're suggesting doesn't make sense.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

What I'm suggesting is already being done by companies like Manhattan Car Club. Porsche has a further advantage by being an OEM, with its service network across the country, and it's limiting of the program to one brand.

Lebowski

$3k / mo over 3 years is $108k and you don't own anything.  Car insurance isn't very expensive.

IMO like leasing but even moreso, this only makes sense for people who have so much money the convenience and flexibility offset the poor value.

I don't really agree w/ rockraven that this is like having 2 cars, IMO if I have 2 cars I want access to the larger / more practical vehicle all the time, not just swap every few months. 

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 19, 2017, 08:54:48 AM
What I'm suggesting is already being done by companies like Manhattan Car Club. Porsche has a further advantage by being an OEM, with its service network across the country, and it's limiting of the program to one brand.

Manhatten Car Club only stocks 40 cars and you aren't guaranteed any specific availability on any date. Furthermore, if you want continual access you have to buy additional packages and/or hours.

Presumably Porsche wants a lot more than 20-40 customers to sign onto this before leveraging their "nationwide" network, and they don't want people complaining about not ever being able to reserve their intended car. Presumably they also want this to be a daily driver program and not up charge for keeping it more than a weekend or two.

What's your best guess on how many 959s are even in the US right now? Maybe 10? They're worth 1.5 million, you're not getting one on an upper-end lease ride share.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Alright, let's take cars like the 959 out of the equation. Everything equivalent to a Carrera and below would be included. Biggest hurdle would be for Porsche to buy up a big enough fleet of clean used examples, which would have other downstream effects. But I think it would be a great revenue stream. I think a lot of people would love to drive or keep an old Porsche for a few months, but very few people want to actually own them. This would be a nice medium

Galaxy

So 80% of Passport clients have never owned a Porsche before. That will interest Porsche.