¿i3? The itch.

Started by MexicoCityM3, October 26, 2017, 01:30:26 PM

Lebowski

Something is highly suspicious about this thread ...

That said, imo unless pricing is way different in Mexico the i3 doesn't make sense. It's way too expensive for what it is to offset gasoline savings.

I would:
- Sell X5 and replace with a CRV, Pilot, Highlander etc
- Sell mini and M5 and replace with a civic si, gti etc
- Figure out which you like best between the M3, 1M, and GT4, and sell the other two

Obviously this is all subject to what's available in Mexico and individual preferences. But fewer cars and more mainstreamish cars for the higher mileage / daily drivers. Yeah I don't actually expect you to do this, just saying it's what I would do. You have too many cars.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on November 01, 2017, 11:07:40 AM
Something is highly suspicious about this thread ...

That said, imo unless pricing is way different in Mexico the i3 doesn't make sense. It's way too expensive for what it is to offset gasoline savings.

I would:
- Sell X5 and replace with a CRV, Pilot, Highlander etc
- Sell mini and M5 and replace with a civic si, gti etc
- Figure out which you like best between the M3, 1M, and GT4, and sell the other two

Obviously this is all subject to what's available in Mexico and individual preferences. But fewer cars and more mainstreamish cars for the higher mileage / daily drivers. Yeah I don't actually expect you to do this, just saying it's what I would do. You have too many cars.

It only saves money relative to holding on to both the M5 and MINI.

I am holding on to the toys. Among other more important things in life I do like them and help me stay motivated. I want to make real money in the next 10 years which should be my most productive. Things are looking good ATM.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

GoCougs

Holding onto consumer debt to stay motivated is a terrible idea.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on November 01, 2017, 03:45:37 PM
Holding onto consumer debt to stay motivated is a terrible idea.

It really isn't consumer debt. More of debt to enable a reasonably good standard of living while personally funding investment in my company.

Our company is bootstrapped. This consumer debt is much, much less expensive than raising capital for the business. The business has a tiny amount of debt vs annual sales (less than 1/15th of annual sales).
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski

Debt "to enable a standard of living" sounds like consumer debt to me.

I'm not judging, just saying it sounds like you're setting yourself up for a world of hurt if your best- or base- case business/economic scenarios dont materialize.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on November 01, 2017, 04:56:47 PM
Debt "to enable a standard of living" sounds like consumer debt to me.

I'm not judging, just saying it sounds like you're setting yourself up for a world of hurt if your best- or base- case business/economic scenarios dont materialize.

Yeah that's risk.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 01, 2017, 05:02:47 PM

Yeah that's risk.

Sure. Risk in the form of excess consumer debt is a risk most can't afford to take imo.

IMO it's a big red flag when people try to redefine consumer spending as investment, which you just did. "The reason I have car loan(s) is so I can invest more in xyz". Uh, no it isn't, it's so you can buy more car, or in your case six cars, most of which are luxury cars, for two drivers.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Lebowski on November 01, 2017, 05:46:01 PM
Sure. Risk in the form of excess consumer debt is a risk most can't afford to take imo.

IMO it's a big red flag when people try to redefine consumer spending as investment, which you just did. "The reason I have car loan(s) is so I can invest more in xyz". Uh, no it isn't, it's so you can buy more car, or in your case six cars, most of which are luxury cars, for two drivers.

Agree to disagree. Time will tell.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

mzziaz

I approve. I3's are nice cars, but you need to decide if the back seats and the range works for you.
Cuore Sportivo

AutobahnSHO

I'm with Cougs and Lebowski here. :lol:

I wish you much success with the business but I'm soooooo happy that I have $0.00 consumer debt. Takes a lot of stress off.

Sure I'd absolutely LOVE a fun car ($5k Miata) instead of driving a minivan to work everyday but we have decided to wait on that. Feels great to have cash in the bank to buy a new Miata and retirement (Army) is steadily building and 99.9% guaranteed unless I commit an outrageous jailable offense or the country falls into apocalypse.
Will

MexicoCityM3

An opportunity has come up through one of my BMW contacts to buy either a new 2018 M240i Cabrio with a 30% discount or a new M2 with a 25% discount.

Very tempted, especially by the cabrio. It would cost USD 33,500. New. 2018. M240i. At our new location in Leon we have cabrio conditions all year round.

M2 would be USD 45,700.

No financing (of course).

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

FoMoJo

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 16, 2017, 07:28:43 PM
An opportunity has come up through one of my BMW contacts to buy either a new 2018 M240i Cabrio with a 30% discount or a 2017 M2 with a 25% discount.

Very tempted, especially by the cabrio. It would cost USD 33,500. New. 2018. M240i. At our new location in Leon we have cabrio conditions all year round.
So, how many cars do you have now?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 16, 2017, 07:30:03 PM
So, how many cars do you have now?

Number would stay the same. The MINI would go.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

FoMoJo

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 16, 2017, 07:31:58 PM

Number would stay the same. The MINI would go.
Well, that's okay then.  Isn't the MINI your wife's car?  Would she get the new one?

I'm just jealous.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 16, 2017, 07:43:31 PM
Well, that's okay then.  Isn't the MINI your wife's car?  Would she get the new one?

I'm just jealous.

She'd get the new one. These past few days she's been taking out the 1M ocassionally and loves it.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

FoMoJo

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 16, 2017, 07:44:51 PM
She'd get the new one. These past few days she's been taking out the 1M ocassionally and loves it.
Make sure you break it in well for her.

veeman

IMHO you're at the life stage where, for non-exotics, you should not be enticed by "good deals" but instead seek out certain cars that you want that are available and then try to get good deals on those.  So if you were seeking out a 2018 M240i Cabrio or a 2017 M2 then get one of them but if you were not, I would pass.  You have a stable of very nice cars; 3 BMWs, 1/3 of an almost exotic Porsche, and a bastard child Mini.  You're kind of going back and forth in your mind regarding an electric BMW and trying to make a financial case for it which is fine but honestly not that important.  It's more about do you want that electric BMW because it's damn cool.   

r0tor

resale value means that it will cost you very little for the M2 over the next few years when you want to trade it for the next big thing
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Char

LOL, no.

I would never do this. Ever.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.