C7 ZR1 leaked

Started by 565, November 08, 2017, 08:31:37 PM

68_427

Base model Corvette with v6 for under $50k.  Could do with a slightly lighter duty drivetrain and decontented interior for a target weight of ~3000lbs.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Payman

Quote from: 68_427 on February 01, 2018, 08:16:46 AM
Base model Corvette with v6 for under $50k.  Could do with a slightly lighter duty drivetrain and decontented interior for a target weight of ~3000lbs.

When they were developing the Solstice, they briefly flirted with a Chevy version, and even talked of putting it under the Corvette marque as an entry level roadster. I remember reading they also discussed a Corvette-Cadillac marque, with their own upscale dealership network.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 01, 2018, 07:49:52 AM
No. This is BS modern marketing that ruins brands and their legacy. The Camaro is not a Corvette - they both have their own storied history and customers.
I would bet the average Camaro buyer today is more influenced by its appearance in Transformers than its storied history, which from what I've seen is largely women in the rural south buying V6s, and rental companies buyin urrrthang :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 01, 2018, 11:18:13 AM
I would bet the average Camaro buyer today is more influenced by its appearance in Transformers than its storied history, which from what I've seen is largely women in the rural south buying V6s, and rental companies buyin urrrthang :lol:

But if Escalade is its own brand, what does that make Cadillac...GM's premier brand...? lol

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 01, 2018, 01:24:25 PM
But if Escalade is its own brand, what does that make Cadillac...GM's premier brand...? lol

Exactly. Consolidated brands can build much better equity. There's a reason Scion is gone.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 01, 2018, 01:33:31 PM
Exactly. Consolidated brands can build much better equity. There's a reason Scion is gone.

Every model should be its own brand!

Xer0

Quote from: 68_427 on February 01, 2018, 08:16:46 AM

A hypothetical 300hp, 45K or so Corvette would probably get destroyed by the 45K Camaro SS 1LE that's on the dealer lot and I doubt anyone would buy it.  Making a down market Vette unfortunately runs into the wall that is the current Camaro which already puts a ton of pressure on the Vettes as is.

giant_mtb

The Camaro basically is the new Corvette.  Corvette sales dropped dramatically when the new Camaro came out. 

2007, they sold 40,500 Vettes.  New Camaro comes out.  Sales plummeted more than 50% within two years...and stayed that low until ~2014 when they broke back into the 30k sales mark.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 01, 2018, 01:59:49 PM
The Camaro basically is the new Corvette.  Corvette sales dropped dramatically when the new Camaro came out. 

2007, they sold 40,500 Vettes.  New Camaro comes out.  Sales plummeted more than 50% within two years...and stayed that low until ~2014 when they broke back into the 30k sales mark.

Everything dropped in 2008-09. The Camaro did well because it was its rebirth. I don't believe the Camaro had anything to do with 'Vette sales... different market demographic.

giant_mtb

Then what explains the ~7 years of shit Vette sales while everyone was ejaculating all over the Transformer Machine?  2008 wasn't seven years long. :huh:

giant_mtb

I realize they're different demographics, but I see just as many FOGs driving new Camaros as I see housewives in V6s.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Xer0 on February 01, 2018, 01:50:43 PM
A hypothetical 300hp, 45K or so Corvette would probably get destroyed by the 45K Camaro SS 1LE that's on the dealer lot and I doubt anyone would buy it.  Making a down market Vette unfortunately runs into the wall that is the current Camaro which already puts a ton of pressure on the Vettes as is.
Yup! Thats why I say keep the front engine Vette as the entry model........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

68_427

Quote from: Xer0 on February 01, 2018, 01:50:43 PM

V6 Corvette buyers and SS 1LE buyers would be completely different people we all know that.
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 01, 2018, 01:24:25 PM
Cadillac is a garbage can, Escalade is floating the brand

Galaxy

Imo, splitting off the Corvette brand would be as dumb as splitting Ram from Dodge. However Fiat/Chrysler did that sooo...

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 01, 2018, 04:26:29 PM
Cadillac is a garbage can, Escalade is floating the brand

The Escalade accounted for less than 15% of Cadillac's total sales last year...?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 01, 2018, 04:42:02 PM
The Escalade accounted for less than 15% of Cadillac's total sales last year...?
You're right, forgot about the XT5

But the XT5 is the only Caddy w/o double digit losses. And even it was down from this December vs last. I thought the Escalade was strong but it's not. Whole brand is being carried by *drumroll* an Epsilon based car. I think someone here said Caddy should pivot to that but I can't remember who :hmm:

Xer0

Quote from: 68_427 on February 01, 2018, 03:19:22 PM
V6 Corvette buyers and SS 1LE buyers would be completely different people we all know that.

I honestly don't think so, but using a garden variety SS illustrates the same point anyway.  A V6 Vette wouldn't even be that  much cheaper anyway.

GoCougs

Word. Camaro and Corvette, and all their incarnations, are inexorably linked to Chevrolet.

"Jeep" and now "Ram" are their own brand because Chrysler as a whole is failing, and these two were pretty much all that was good.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: GoCougs on February 01, 2018, 06:14:10 PM
Word. Camaro and Corvette, and all their incarnations, are inexorably linked to Chevrolet.

"Jeep" and now "Ram" are their own brand because Chrysler as a whole is failing, and these two were pretty much all that was good.
I agree! But I also think the Vette should have its own "Space" within the brand. Separate showrooms (2 or 3 car) and Service bays. Even if they are located on existing Chevy lots. Although the Vette is considered "Cheap" it's still a lotta dough to (60K-120K) drop on a toy. The owners should have a better dealer experience than someone buying 20K subcompact. Just my biased .02

68_427

We have a huge Corvette only showroom here (Van Bortel Corvette) and it's doing VERY well.
'racecar is die'
no

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 68_427 on February 02, 2018, 04:36:33 AM
We have a huge Corvette only showroom here (Van Bortel Corvette) and it's doing VERY well.
I just googled it! That's exactly what the Corvette needs......

Payman

I'd buy a $45K Corvette before a $45K Camaro, even if the latter is faster.

68_427

Quote from: Rockraven on February 02, 2018, 11:11:27 AM
I'd buy a $45K Corvette before a $45K Camaro, even if the latter is faster.

I bet you aren't the only one.  It's not like a 350hp 3000lbs car is a slouch
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on February 02, 2018, 11:00:30 AM
I just googled it! That's exactly what the Corvette needs......

They work on modded Corvettes too 😎
'racecar is die'
no

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 68_427 on February 02, 2018, 05:12:14 PM
They work on modded Corvettes too 😎

If you want to make your Corvette go fast go to McCluskey Chevrolet in Cincinnati
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

68_427

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 02, 2018, 05:38:37 PM
If you want to make your Corvette go fast go to McCluskey Chevrolet in Cincinnati

I meant they'll let some things slide when it comes to warranty claims
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 68_427 on February 02, 2018, 05:10:26 PM
I bet you aren't the only one.  It's not like a 350hp 3000lbs car is a slouch
But the 370Z is basically that and DOA. Plus I think the C7 is like 3400lb to start

I think the big driver there would be the brand. But there is only so much market capacity for 2 seaters

68_427

The GM V6 weighs a little over 100lbs less than the LT1, so there is 3250lbs.  (The base C7 is 3350)  I'm sure they would get it to 3100 or just slightly below since the drive line wouldn't have to be as heavy duty, smaller brakes/wheels/tires etc.  And yes the Corvette brand image would be important as always, but it couldn't hurt to get the starting price to under $50k again.
'racecar is die'
no