Cars that suck

Started by 2o6, November 12, 2017, 12:46:39 AM

2o6

I'm a little tipsy.

Let's make this a dog pile thread. Let's post cars you've had experience with (or nah!) that you feel are hot trash, and roast the fuck out of them

CaminoRacer

Anytime I see a Veloster I automatically assume the owner is a wannabe douche. Especially if it has a turbo badge
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

First generation Jeep Compass.  2nd generation isn't too bad.
Dodge Nitro

I can understand getting them if they're a great deal.  Other than that, no. 

Soup DeVille

Chevy HHR.

There is literally no redeeming quality 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

mzziaz

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 12, 2017, 06:25:39 AM
Chevy HHR.

There is literally no redeeming quality 

Is it really that bad? It looks kind of cool.
Cuore Sportivo

Payman

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 12, 2017, 01:22:20 AM
Anytime I see a Veloster I automatically assume the owner is a wannabe douche. Especially if it has a turbo badge
The only people I see in them are women in their 40s-50s

But yea they are basically less practical Hyundai Accents.

My vote... Nissan Sentra. Last good one was the ~94 SE-R 23 years ago
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on November 12, 2017, 06:45:44 AM

It is horrible by every measure. it gets bad mileage for how slow it is, the ride is straight out of 1985 compact land. There is surprisingly little interior space for people or cargo. It is as hard to see out of as a Hummer. 

But it goes above and beyond by screwing up things you never thought could be screwed up. You cannot raise or lower the windows in park because the buttons are on the center console and the shifter blocks them when in park. There is only one door key, on the driver's door; and it's known to jam, rendering both the physical key and the electronic key fob inoperative.

The only things that are acceptable about the car are substandard. The doors never even seem to close correctly.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Quote from: mzziaz on November 12, 2017, 06:45:44 AM

It's basically a Cobalt wagon. It's ok for what it is.

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 12, 2017, 08:27:23 AM
It is horrible by every measure. it gets bad mileage for how slow it is, the ride is straight out of 1985 compact land. There is surprisingly little interior space for people or cargo. It is as hard to see out of as a Hummer. 

But it goes above and beyond by screwing up things you never thought could be screwed up. You cannot raise or lower the windows in park because the buttons are on the center console and the shifter blocks them when in park. There is only one door key, on the driver's door; and it's known to jam, rendering both the physical key and the electronic key fob inoperative.

The only things that are acceptable about the car are substandard. The doors never even seem to close correctly.

Never had to deal with one. Ok then.

FoMoJo

I just never liked the way they looked.

However, the (almost new) Plymouth Reliant that I had the misfortune to have to drive for a short period was a pile of garbage with so many things wrong with it I wouldn't know where to begin.  I ways happy when it finally sprung a leak in the head gasket and I had a good excuse to get rid of it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

Its been a long time since I drove a car that truly sucked. Most cars have some redeeming feature. I think I recall driving a rental Altima ~10 years ago that was truly awful to drive (wallowy, slow, and huge), but then again it had a ton of space inside so I can see why some people would want it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 12, 2017, 08:40:48 AM
I just never liked the way they looked.

However, the (almost new) Plymouth Reliant that I had the misfortune to have to drive for a short period was a pile of garbage with so many things wrong with it I wouldn't know where to begin.  I ways happy when it finally sprung a leak in the head gasket and I had a good excuse to get rid of it.

Well, that's 1985 era horrid, which is a different standard than 2000 era horrid.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rockraven on November 12, 2017, 08:27:37 AM
It's basically a Cobalt wagon. It's ok for what it is.
Cobalts are OK cars; and a huge improvement over the Cavaliers they replaced. HHRs were hastily built onto the Cobalt platform in order to try and glom onto the ill-advised bargain retro segment defined by the PT Cruiser.

I think all that needs to be said is the PT was a much better car.

FoMoJo

Perhaps not a bad car, but the only time I drove a Pontiac Sunfire (circa 2003) the handling felt so limp that I had to get out to see if the tires were flat.  They weren't.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 12, 2017, 09:04:02 AM
Perhaps not a bad car, but the only time I drove a Pontiac Sunfire (circa 2003) the handling felt so limp that I had to get out to see if the tires were flat.  They weren't.

Very much a bad car. Not maybe as bad as an older one with a time bomb quad 4, but plenty bad nonetheless

MX793

I had a Cobalt rental for a day and it was thoroughly mediocre.  Much better than the J bodies, but far from class leading.  The electric steering assist was terrible.  The steering wouldn't self center after taking a corner.  I actually had to point the wheels straight again rather than just letting go of the wheel and letting the caster re-center the steering.  It also was all over the place WRT how much assist you got.  Sometimes I'd turn the wheel and it would be nicely weighted, other times it would feel like there was no power assist, and other times it would be overboosted.  Wasn't even a speed thing, since I would notice this taking 90 degree turns at intersections at the same ~10 mph speed.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 12, 2017, 09:05:43 AM
Very much a bad car. Not maybe as bad as an older one with a time bomb quad 4, but plenty bad nonetheless
I didn't have it very long, just a loner from a body repair shop.  The engine seemed pretty stout, but with such crappy handling, I felt I might end up in the ditch if I pushed it too hard.

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on November 12, 2017, 09:07:53 AM
I had a Cobalt rental for a day and it was thoroughly mediocre.  Much better than the J bodies, but far from class leading.  The electric steering assist was terrible.  The steering wouldn't self center after taking a corner.  I actually had to point the wheels straight again rather than just letting go of the wheel and letting the caster re-center the steering.  It also was all over the place WRT how much assist you got.  Sometimes I'd turn the wheel and it would be nicely weighted, other times it would feel like there was no power assist, and other times it would be overboosted.  Wasn't even a speed thing, since I would notice this taking 90 degree turns at intersections at the same ~10 mph speed.

Before the Focus I had an '09 Pontiac G5 Pursuit, and yeah the steering was horrid. Only had the car for a 18 months and was glad to get rid of it.

CaminoRacer

I fit a crate engine (in the crate) into the back of one. I'd say that cargo space is acceptable :huh:

giant_mtb

Show me where the HHR touched you... :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 12, 2017, 09:30:17 AM
I fit a crate engine (in the crate) into the back of one. I'd say that cargo space is acceptable :huh:

A motorcycle engine? Otherwise, it's hard to believe. If a small block without any headers and just a bare intake fit in, maybe.

veeman

Smart car.  Rented one with my wife in Italy some 12 years ago.  Transmission sucked, felt like I was going to get squashed on the road if anything hit me including a motorcycle, wasn't that fuel efficient, and isn't that cheap.

veeman

I've rented PT Cruisers and an HHR in the past.  I loved the Cruiser.  Felt nimble and just a well thought out package.  The HHR felt ponderous. I don't remember any of the other stuff Soup pointed out but I remember thinking the PT Cruiser felt like a much better car.

Payman

Quote from: veeman on November 12, 2017, 09:53:42 AM
I've rented PT Cruisers and an HHR in the past.  I loved the Cruiser.  Felt nimble and just a well thought out package.  The HHR felt ponderous. I don't remember any of the other stuff Soup pointed out but I remember thinking the PT Cruiser felt like a much better car.

Well, the Neon was a decent small car platform with hydraulic steering, and the HHR was a Cobalt platform with early and horrible electric assist steering, so that explains it right there.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 12, 2017, 09:48:26 AM
A motorcycle engine? Otherwise, it's hard to believe. If a small block without any headers and just a bare intake fit in, maybe.

SBC long block. Fairly large crate

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 12, 2017, 10:00:08 AM
SBC short block. Fairly large crate

Okay, a short block I'll believe.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on November 12, 2017, 09:48:45 AM
Smart car.  Rented one with my wife in Italy some 12 years ago.  Transmission sucked, felt like I was going to get squashed on the road if anything hit me including a motorcycle, wasn't that fuel efficient, and isn't that cheap.

I really wanted to like the Smart when it came out; but somehow it failed to do any of the things I wanted from a small car (like being good on gas, or affordable)

CaminoRacer

Speed_Racer

This piece of garbage. Had one as a rental for a week, it had zero redeeming qualities