The 2018 Volvo XC40

Started by Submariner, November 26, 2017, 11:38:32 AM

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

giant_mtb

Not bad, but it could be any brand if it weren't for the tail lights.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

I don't think it looks to bad actually, though not on par with the other current Volvos. I do think it is a positive that they are able to differentiate their current design language. When the S90, V90 came after the XC90, I was a bit worried.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on November 26, 2017, 12:21:58 PM
I don't think it looks to bad actually, though not on par with the other current Volvos. I do think it is a positive that they are able to differentiate their current design language. When the S90, V90 came after the XC90, I was a bit worried.
How to differentiate it with what is already out there is the problem.  Taillights that were once distinctive and related to the local architecture are now easily mistaken for run-of-the-mill existing models.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

2o6

- there's already a thread on this model, on the same page even.

What's wrong with it? It looks stunning inside and out.

2o6

And you even commented on the original thread, even!

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

Yeah, seems fairly nice to me as well.  :huh:

FoMoJo

Sure, it looks nice.  The point is, is that they're getting too far removed from the distinctive Volvo design language.

I think that it's important that vehicles should retain something of the country/culture/design influence that they originate from.  Volvo has always been very distinctive in that respect and even incorporated traditional Swedish architectural styles into the design language of their vehicles, especially in the taillights. However, the XC40 seems to be morphing towards a very common style which most other manufacturers have drifted towards.

Maybe they won an award for design language last year, but it just seems to have lost much of the Volvo distinctiveness.  If you want a 'cute ute' there's plenty to choose from.  The XC40 is starting to look just like the rest of them.

2o6

Looks distinct enough to me  :huh:

Xer0

Looks nice.  The rear kink reminds me too much of the new Toyota SUV/hatch thing that kills outward viability which is kind of annoying.  Will this be available with the 300hp turbo-4?  That should make a quick little SUV.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on November 27, 2017, 01:50:27 PM
Looks distinct enough to me  :huh:

Maybe I'm just being too old-fashioned; or old :huh:.

I appreciate designs that are distinctive to their ethos.  We appreciate Italian designs for their passion and flamboyance.  We appreciate German designs for their precision and vault-like quality.  We appreciate French design for their artistic flair and often-times kitsch.  We appreciate American design for its boisterousness and raw energy.  We appreciate British design for...well we appreciate them if they start.

Anyways, with designs gradually morphing towards some common, soulless theme, we might as well just have AIs doing the designing.

2o6

Depending on where I am in two years, I might just buy one.  :huh:

veeman

I like it a lot. I honestly thought Volvo would die a slow death a few years ago like Saab. In a no man's land between the German big three, Lexus, Cadillac and mainstreamer brands.  Too expensive for what you got.  Last few years though they've come out with really good product. The switch from the "safety" brand to the luxury fuel efficient electric hybrid innovator brand has been good.  Chinese cash infusion has saved this brand.