Motortrend COTY: Alfa Romeo Giulia

Started by SJ_GTI, November 28, 2017, 08:28:09 AM

SJ_GTI

I saw an article (CNN Money) that the Giulia won the MT COTY award (other finalists were the Honda Accord and Tesla Model 3). I was a bit surprised. I haven't driven one (never got the ambition to go test drive one, there are no local dealers) but I felt like the consensus was that it was a good first effort but not as nice as the BMW and Audi overall (though it was "sportier" to drive).

Almost as interesting was that the Model 3 did not win.  :pullover: I figured it would have been a shoe-in with the Tesla hype behind it. Sounds like there were some gripes and the high price (60k as tested?) hurt it.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/27/autos/motor-trend-car-of-the-year/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Motor Trend magazine has named the Alfa Romeo Giulia its Car of the Year. The finalists included the new, redesigned Honda Accord and the Tesla Model 3.

At the same time, Motor Trend also named the new Honda CR-V its SUV of the Year and the Ford F-150 Truck of the Year.

To be eligible for these awards, a vehicle must be either an all-new model or must have been substantially redesigned for the 2018 model year. Manufacturers lend examples of eligible vehicles to the magazine's staff which subject them to lengthy testing on various test tracks and on real roads.

Xer0

Surprised by the Giulia win.  I can't recall one review/comparison of it where something randomly didn't go wrong with the car.

MexicoCityM3

Most reviews agree the Giulia is the best driving sports sedan in the segment. I think it's a deserved win. Maybe it'll help it sell a little more. I have seen a total of one on the streets here in Mexico since it launched.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

It can be a great sports sedan for the mags but it's still a complete crapshoot to own. A rushed, complicated FCA product?

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

It's also ugly with no lease deals and a marketing campaign that clearly caters to internet enthusiasts.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 28, 2017, 08:57:49 AM
It can be a great sports sedan for the mags but it's still a complete crapshoot to own. A rushed, complicated FCA product?

Maybe. I think it's too new to really have anything to say about its reliability.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on November 28, 2017, 09:18:34 AM
Maybe. I think it's too new to really have anything to say about its reliability.

It wouldn't get me out of my theoretical 330i M-sport.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on November 28, 2017, 09:04:47 AM
It's also ugly with no lease deals and a marketing campaign that clearly caters to internet enthusiasts.

It's gorgeous.  :nutty:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

R&T did a lengthy piece about how terrible the reliability and quality of their test car was.  Lots of issues that went beyond minor annoyance (like car going into limp mode for no reason).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on November 28, 2017, 09:34:11 AM
It's gorgeous.  :nutty:

It's better looking in person, but it's not really pretty like the old 159 was.

FoMoJo

It is distinctive to the brand and expresses a continuity of the design language associated with the marque.  Not the glorious shapes of the romantic era of Italian vehicle design, but still a nice looking car.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on November 28, 2017, 10:13:27 AM

I don't totally disagree with the 159 call, but it is gorgeous.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on November 28, 2017, 09:54:43 AM
R&T did a lengthy piece about how terrible the reliability and quality of their test car was.  Lots of issues that went beyond minor annoyance (like car going into limp mode for no reason).

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a10308214/alfa-romeo-giulia-issues/

Last week, this magazine took a Giulia to Gingerman Raceway, in Southwest Michigan. The Quadrifoglio, the most powerful Giulia sold, and ostensibly built for that environment. But the trip did not go well. I got that out lap, or most of one. I also got no more than that. Not a single complete lap. I tried several times, but on a mild summer day, the car couldn't make it through a single lap.

The first time that check light lit, I winced, then parked the car to let it cool. I sat, sighing, in the paddock.

When I left the pits, with Race Mode on and stability control off, the car ran normally. By the time I reached the track's back half, less than a mile later, the Alfa had thrown a check-engine light, reactivated its stability control, and dumped its drive mode back into Normal.

When we told FiatChrysler that we were taking the Giulia to the track, the PR department sent a prep sheet with tire pressures and a few pieces of advice. If you see a rise in lap times, the sheet said, stop every three laps to let the car's differential cool.

:wtf:

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on November 28, 2017, 10:13:27 AM

Now you have confirmed your crack cocaine addiction

r0tor

Not sure I can agree on making something this unreliable COTY... plus it's interior is shit and rear legroom is abismal for a sedan.

COTY should be something you should be able to recommend people buy... and feel good about yourself later
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on November 28, 2017, 04:08:16 PM
Not sure I can agree on making something this unreliable COTY... plus it's interior is shit and rear legroom is abismal for a sedan.

COTY should be something you should be able to recommend people buy... and feel good about yourself later
MTCOTY reached punchline status at one point though

http://www.motortrend.com/news/car-of-the-year-winners-2/

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 28, 2017, 04:12:27 PM

Don't be a dick. Was that necessary?

I don't think it's a good looking car. There's nothing wrong with that. It's got a weird bird face, and stylistically it doesn't look as expensive as a BMW or MB.

2o6

The Alfa looks aggressive, but I've always associated Alfa with a more delicate sort of road presence. The 159 and co had aggressive front fascias, but delicate detailing.

This car will please a handful of internet enthusiasts, but

- y'all dont have any money

- y'all are borderline skitzo as far as your opinions go. This year you'll like it, but 18 months from now y'all will slam it and make it sound like the worst car ever produced in the handful of cardom.

Most people will be like "wow that's kind of cool looking!" then walk to the nearest BMW, MB, Lexus, or even Cadillac dealer. This car is borderline unremarkable in more basic trims, not in the sense that it's a bad car, but there's no real reason to buy it.

The Stelvio will likely fare better, but I can't see it beating out the NX, X3 or GLK(or whatever this model is called now)

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on November 28, 2017, 05:38:09 PM
Don't be a dick. Was that necessary?

Now that we know you're good at it, you have to admit, it's pretty funny

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: r0tor on November 28, 2017, 04:08:16 PM

I really liked the interior on the one I sat in a few months ago. Unreliability yeah probably an issue, but most of the evidence is in fairness anecdotical.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CaminoRacer

I just think it's dumb that the Model 3 was even in the running. Maybe in 2 years, when they actually start producing them.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

http://www.motortrend.com/news/car-of-the-year-winners-2/

I was looking at their COTY choices thru the years. 

Some WTF choices:

2012 - VW Passat
2002 - Ford Thunderbird
1997 - Chevrolet Malibu
1995 - Chrysler Cirrus

GoCougs

(X)OTY awards have always been nonsense, predicated on premise (only "new" models qualify). Total BS.

2o6

The Model 3 is basically a Body-in-white prototype at this point.