Lincoln ditches alphanumeric garbage

Started by 12,000 RPM, November 29, 2017, 12:33:13 PM

12,000 RPM

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/11/mknothing-lincoln-ditched-alphabet-soup

QuoteAccording to the report, Robert Parker, marketing honcho at Lincoln Motor Company, received validation for the decision to introduce the Nautilus nameplate well before its appearance at this year's L.A. Auto Show.

In a fine bit of storytelling, Parker relates the tale of being on an airport shuttle ferrying passengers from a terminal to a parking lot. Seated near him was a husband and wife couple who were trying to tell the shuttle driver what kind of car they owned. You can probably guess where this tale is headed.

When asked what kind of car they owned, the couple got into a bit of a row. Why? They apparently owned a Lincoln, but couldn't agree on what it was called. One insisted it was an MKC while the other was steadfast in their belief it was an MKZ. For Parker, this cemented the decision to abandon the MKWhatever nomenclature.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luxury cars have to be more than widgets. For companies with a history of model names, this seems existentially crucial. The key operator in the phrase Mercedes Benz Letter Number Yadda Yadda is "BENZ". When your brand doesn't have that, you need names.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

I'm amazed it took them this long to realize their nomenclature is completely forgettable to the point that most people couldn't tell you which is which.  I checked out of trying to remember years ago.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2017, 12:36:31 PM
I'm amazed it took them this long to realize their nomenclature is completely forgettable to the point that most people couldn't tell you which is which.  I checked out of trying to remember years ago.
Seriously, it's easier to remember chassis codes.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 29, 2017, 12:37:58 PM
Seriously, it's easier to remember chassis codes.

Only one that made sense to me was the Mark LT, since it had "T" in the name so I thought "truck."  But I think that was the only "MK_" type name they had at the time.  Then they introduced the MKT...and it no longer made sense. :lol:

12,000 RPM

I do hope they bring back the whole "Mark" thing but they need to make a car worthy of that name. 4 door Continental "coupe" anybody :winkguy:

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 29, 2017, 12:48:10 PM
I do hope they bring back the whole "Mark" thing but they need to make a car worthy of that name. 4 door Continental "coupe" anybody :winkguy:

When the MK_ bullshit started, I initially said them as "Mark _" but that was even more confusing.  Mark C?  The fuck?

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Alphanumerics with no rhyme or reason behind them are horrible.  1990s BMW was alphanumeric done right.  First digit indicated where in the pecking order the car was (3<5<7), the next two numbers indicated the engine size (18=1.8l, 25=2.5l, etc) and subsequent letters indicated fuel injection (i), AWD (x), or if it was a coupe (c).

I'd give MB, Lexus, and Audi a B or B+ on naming.  What Lincoln, Acura, and Cadillac ended up with get a fat F.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2017, 12:41:01 PM
Only one that made sense to me was the Mark LT, since it had "T" in the name so I thought "truck."  But I think that was the only "MK_" type name they had at the time.  Then they introduced the MKT...and it no longer made sense. :lol:

Mark LT pissed me off

LT isn't even a number. Did it stand for light truck? Then it should have been something like LT Mk.1.

It just never made sense.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

veeman

I'm waiting for Infiniti to follow suit.  Their naming system sucks. 

Xer0

Finally!  Praise whoever made this happen.

Acura, now its your turn.  Keep the SUV's as _DX, but give us some Legends and Integras and Vigors please.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on November 29, 2017, 03:28:24 PM
Infiniti never had names, but I agree. At least give each car its own letter.

r0tor

Quote from: veeman on November 29, 2017, 03:28:24 PM

Their current naming system is a complete flaming bag of dog shit
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

Quote from: r0tor on November 29, 2017, 05:03:59 PM
Their current naming system is a complete flaming bag of dog shit

That's much better put than I. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 29, 2017, 12:36:31 PM
:hesaid:

Quote from: MX793 on November 29, 2017, 01:50:01 PM
Alphanumerics with no rhyme or reason behind them are horrible.  1990s BMW was alphanumeric done right.  First digit indicated where in the pecking order the car was (3<5<7), the next two numbers indicated the engine size (18=1.8l, 25=2.5l, etc) and subsequent letters indicated fuel injection (i), AWD (x), or if it was a coupe (c).

I'd give MB, Lexus, and Audi a B or B+ on naming.  What Lincoln, Acura, and Cadillac ended up with get a fat F.
Yup! It made sense back then! But now Even BMWs Alphanumeric schemes don't add up anymore! Infinity and Cadillac needs their asses whipped for their scheme.....  :rage:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Laconian

I bet the geeks at Infiniti are just as annoyed about their forgettable nomenclature as we are. The problem is marketers. When enginerds come up with alphanumeric designations, they're structured and orderly, rich with semantic meaning. This chassis code. That engine displacement. Two or four doors. Turbo or N/A. And so on.

When the marketers sink their teeth into it, they introduce all kinds of subjective emotional bullshit and market segmentation. "We don't want someone with a two liter engine to feel inferior compared to their neighbors who bought a few years ago and got a V6, so let's handwave and call this a... GLC *300*!"

You see this with Intel processors all the time. The part numbers start out with good intentions, but they allllways lose the plot after a few upgrades. My computer at work is an E5-2690 v4. It is actually six years newer than the E5-2690 - a COMPLETELY different part! Totally different generation, different number of cores, amount of cache, and so on. So why the hell didn't they just change that E5 number? Well, it was a popular part, and Intel didn't want to ruin the emotional connection people had with their Xeons...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Cadillac badly needs to flush away their current scheme. I have no idea what their current lineup is.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

12,000 RPM

Agreed, though that's just the tip of the iceberg for Cadillac. They need a full on reinvention.

Submariner

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 04, 2017, 06:12:41 AM
I have no idea what their current lineup is.

Don't worry, you're not missing out on anything.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

AltinD

Quote from: MX793 on November 29, 2017, 01:50:01 PM

I'd give ... Audi a B or B+ on naming.

O'RLY?

The most bizarre thing is that not only the number has nothing to do with engine sizes, but on different models shows different things. A certain number can be slapped on a V6 on a model, but on a different model it get slapped on a I4

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Submariner

Apparently, the MKC is now the "Nautilus"? 

FoMoJo

Quote from: Submariner on December 05, 2017, 03:23:49 PM
Apparently, the MKC is now the "Nautilus"? 
MKX.  With the new front and rear treatment, an SUV I'm very much interested in.  Perfect size for my needs; which is mainly to get into and out of without too much of a struggle.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Do you pilot submarines filled with glittering brass that smell like leather and pipe smoke?

If so, the NAUTILUS is for you!

Submariner

Given my nautical-themed name (even though it's after a watch), it's a bit silly to complain, but if this is any indication of Lincolns new naming scheme, they could have stuck with the old rubbish and saved themselves the time and money on the useless focus groups and marketing folks who dreamt up this garbage.

Morris Minor

Lincoln MKZ --> Lincoln FusionInDrag
Lincoln Continental --> Lincoln FusionInDragButTorturedOnTheRack
Lincoln MKC --> Lincoln EscapeInDrag
Lincoln MKX --> Lincoln EdgeInDrag
Lincoln MKT --> Lincoln ExplorerInDrag
Lincoln Navigator  --> LincolnExpeditionInDrag
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

ifcar

Quote from: Laconian on December 01, 2017, 12:15:40 PM
I bet the geeks at Infiniti are just as annoyed about their forgettable nomenclature as we are. The problem is marketers. When enginerds come up with alphanumeric designations, they're structured and orderly, rich with semantic meaning. This chassis code. That engine displacement. Two or four doors. Turbo or N/A. And so on.

When the marketers sink their teeth into it, they introduce all kinds of subjective emotional bullshit and market segmentation. "We don't want someone with a two liter engine to feel inferior compared to their neighbors who bought a few years ago and got a V6, so let's handwave and call this a... GLC *300*!"

You see this with Intel processors all the time. The part numbers start out with good intentions, but they allllways lose the plot after a few upgrades. My computer at work is an E5-2690 v4. It is actually six years newer than the E5-2690 - a COMPLETELY different part! Totally different generation, different number of cores, amount of cache, and so on. So why the hell didn't they just change that E5 number? Well, it was a popular part, and Intel didn't want to ruin the emotional connection people had with their Xeons...

I wouldn't blame marketers for Mercedes, but turbos. If your naming system is based upon distinguishing a larger engine from a smaller engine, and then you just have multiple versions of the same engine that are turbocharged to different horsepower, your naming convention is screwed with just displacement. It's at least indicating the progression of power within the same lineup.

Same with Infiniti -- you can see which car is bigger or smaller, a la Audi. And unlike the anything-goes Lincoln, Lexus or Acura.

Laconian

I guess turbocharging adds a dimensional wrinkle.

OK, let's cut the BS and just give rich people what they want - model numbers which directly denote status. The MSRP. Mercedes S$150,000. Mercedes GLA$33,000.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2017, 05:36:53 PM
I guess turbocharging adds a dimensional wrinkle.

OK, let's cut the BS and just give rich people what they want - model numbers which directly denote status. The MSRP. Mercedes S$150,000. Mercedes GLA$33,000.

Could simplify.  S150K  GLA33K

Laconian

Actually it's probably a more meaningful indication of status than engine output alone. Luxury cars are coming out with very expensive options that aren't powertrain related, like Cadillac SuperCruise (+$5000)