Great MT comparo on Leaf vs. Bolt vs. (gasp) Model 3

Started by Laconian, December 04, 2017, 04:22:22 PM

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2017, 03:12:23 PM
Certainly there are influences there, but it's not the style I would name it.

Whatever, I think everybody's saying the same thing here with a different vocabulary.

:cheers:

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 07, 2017, 03:14:44 PM
The Model 3 is much more Scandinavian/IKEA minimalist than a minimalist 50's throwback.

Agreed, but just to have some fun, I'd argue that IKEA has a lot more in common with those dashes I posted than it does with:

Or,

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

Oh, the indefensible Bonneville. That's like Godwinning the thread.

So many buttons = so much driving excitement.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Does one have to use the touch screen in a Tesla to open their window? lol

Tave

Mine and only my opinion, but the Model 3 interior evokes the feelings of a hammock, sunny day, and soft summer breeze. The Bolt and Leaf look like a cross between a Stormtrooper costume and elementary school science project.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

giant_mtb

The Tesla is like the scroll-wheel MacBook.  So simple that it hurts.

Tave

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 07, 2017, 04:05:07 PM
Does one have to use the touch screen in a Tesla to open their window? lol

No. It has a window switch on the door.

It also ended up having a wiper toggle on the wheel, dedicated hvac controls, physical gear selector...basically every chicken-little concern that arose.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Tave on December 07, 2017, 04:21:27 PM
No. It has a window switch on the door.

It also ended up having a wiper toggle on the wheel, dedicated hvac controls, physical gear selector...basically every chicken-little concern that arose.

Weird.  I don't see any of that in the picture up there.

Submariner

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2017, 04:04:22 PM

Bruh, Pontiac is excitement.  It's what they do (uh, did).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpGPcHrVUZI
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Laconian

I like the look of the Model 3 but I think it goes too far in sacrificing usability for its aesthetic. And that screen is just too goddamn big, c'mon. The rest of the dash is low profile, an organic flowing wooden oasis... and plop! Here's a big sports bar plasma TV, dropped right in the middle of it all.

I do think people are being irrational with the form over function argument. There are pllllenty of accepted cars which sacrifice utility in the name of aesthetics, like the Camaro. Who needs to see out of the car, anyway?

Laconian

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2017, 03:52:09 PM
Bauhaus. Jony Ive can only do Bauhaus.

Ehh, that's a bit of a stretch, but I can see it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Laconian

No, I said Jony Ive shamelessly apes Braun and Bauhaus.

The Model 3 interior is totally midcentury modern.

The latest C&D had a great picture of Bill Mitchell's canonically MCM office.

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2017, 04:04:22 PM

:lol: I went after the low-hanging fruit but Pontiac was hardly the only offender.

Waaaaaay too much effort is spent in trying to augment and lather the dash in fancy materials, go all-in on ergos and create bulky wraparound cockpits, and/or cramming it full of teritiary tech you never use—versus making it space efficient. I don't completely fault the automakers for this because people want their power accessories and I'd rather the Texa$ spent on industrial design be allocated to critical mechanics on the vehicle, but ¡hot damn! we went through an interior nadir in a lot of ways since the 80s.

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2017, 04:45:05 PM
I like the look of the Model 3 but I think it goes too far in sacrificing usability for its aesthetic. And that screen is just too goddamn big, c'mon. The rest of the dash is low profile, an organic flowing wooden oasis... and plop! Here's a big sports bar plasma TV, dropped right in the middle of it all.

I do think people are being irrational with the form over function argument. There are pllllenty of accepted cars which sacrifice utility in the name of aesthetics, like the Camaro. Who needs to see out of the car, anyway?

As long as the screen is responsive and on-par w the screen in the Model S, I'm alright with it. I'd prefer a secondary e-gauge cluster in front of the driver or on a heads-up display w/ a smaller-than-now center screen, but not enough to pass one up.

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2017, 05:23:43 PM
No, I said Jony Ive shamelessly apes Braun and Bauhaus.

The Model 3 interior is totally midcentury modern.

The latest C&D had a great picture of Bill Mitchell's canonically MCM office.

Dream house:

Laconian

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2017, 04:45:05 PM

Nobody talks about the Camaro's visibility because we are all in agreement on its ridiculousness. Tesla fanboism is so rampant there are literally people arguing against the usefulness of manually adjustable vents. Or pointing to the value and superiority of cars we're not even sure Tesla can manufacture/deliver. Such ridiculousness cannot go unchecked; it must be called out and neutralized
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: Submariner on December 07, 2017, 04:43:48 PM
Bruh, Pontiac is excitement.  It's what they do (uh, did).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpGPcHrVUZI

Pontiac went out of business because they failed to maintain quality advertisement like that, or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYlsJFTOus

Not only a bitchin' tune, but so much going on in this one besides more rain, fog, and mist than Blade Runner.  Starting at the 4 second mark, we see the first glimpse of several clips of a couple standing outside of a Grand Am engaged in some kind of domestic dispute.  Followed by a shot of someone who may or may not be a young Steve Carell.  Some footage of a Firebird doing powerslides on a wet street.  A woman disputing a ticket with a cop.  A couple of dudes randomly dancing in an alley.  More footage of our feuding couple at the 57 second mark.  Then a woman taking off her jacket and apparently fleeting a flock of seagulls (or her LeMans) at the beach, with a random clip of some kind of foggy make-out scene.  Some more reckless driving and burnouts.  More of our domestic dispute at 1:18 and then 1:20 as words turn to a slap in the face.  Someone who thinks he's Sonny Crockett leaping into a Sunfire convertible.  At 1:29, we have a man who appears to be stalking a woman who, appearing a moment later, seems to think she's in a hair product commercial.  Our lovers' spat sub-plot finally concludes at 1:48.  More powerslides.  What appears to be a man soliciting a prostitute at around the 1:58 mark.  Then a burnout.  A few happy couples and finally a man hosing down the ground.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on December 07, 2017, 08:02:10 PM
Pontiac went out of business because they failed to maintain quality advertisement like that, or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYlsJFTOus

Not only a bitchin' tune, but so much going on in this one besides more rain, fog, and mist than Blade Runner.  Starting at the 4 second mark, we see the first glimpse of several clips of a couple standing outside of a Grand Am engaged in some kind of domestic dispute.  Followed by a shot of someone who may or may not be a young Steve Carell.  Some footage of a Firebird doing powerslides on a wet street.  A woman disputing a ticket with a cop.  A couple of dudes randomly dancing in an alley.  More footage of our feuding couple at the 57 second mark.  Then a woman taking off her jacket and apparently fleeting a flock of seagulls (or her LeMans) at the beach, with a random clip of some kind of foggy make-out scene.  Some more reckless driving and burnouts.  More of our domestic dispute at 1:18 and then 1:20 as words turn to a slap in the face.  Someone who thinks he's Sonny Crockett leaping into a Sunfire convertible.  At 1:29, we have a man who appears to be stalking a woman who, appearing a moment later, seems to think she's in a hair product commercial.  Our lovers' spat sub-plot finally concludes at 1:48.  More powerslides.  What appears to be a man soliciting a prostitute at around the 1:58 mark.  Then a burnout.  A few happy couples and finally a man hosing down the ground.

Post of the year!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Good effort, but I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't give more time to the Whitesnake cover group twirling around in their dusters with rolled up sleeves.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550