Jeep Wrangler JL

Started by giant_mtb, December 06, 2017, 11:34:09 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 03, 2018, 07:16:59 PM
I look at prices once in a while, would make a good convertible that you can take into the woods.

But holy grillsmoke, batman!! They're always way over-priced. Even with bad rep for longevity everyone wants them.

Bad rep for longevity?  Wranglers are one of the only reliable products FCA has.  :nutty:

r0tor

Yea... The amount of people spending $45k+ for vehicles that absolutely suck on the highway, have shit for cargo space, and will never be taken on anything more off-road then a gravel road is astonishing
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 04, 2018, 07:29:21 AM
Bad rep for longevity?  Wranglers are one of the only reliable products FCA has.  :nutty:

I couldn't call them all that reliable.  There are a lot of old wranglers on the road - but I don't know if many that havent had some serious work put into them (thankfully though they are cheap and simple to fix).
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Payman

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2018, 09:36:13 AM
Yea... The amount of people spending $45k+ for vehicles that absolutely suck on the highway, have shit for cargo space, and will never be taken on anything more off-road then a gravel road is astonishing

Other people spend $45K+ for vehicles that absolutely suck offroad and in the winter, have shit for cargo space, and will never be taken on a race track. They're called sportscars.

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2018, 09:38:18 AM
I couldn't call them all that reliable.  There are a lot of old wranglers on the road - but I don't know if many that havent had some serious work put into them (thankfully though they are cheap and simple to fix).

Wow. An old car that has had work put into it???

AutobahnSHO

the people I know that have 10yr old Jeeps have spent far more on regular maintenance than my 15yr old 200k+ miles minivan has undergone....
Will

Payman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 04, 2018, 01:30:16 PM
the people I know that have 10yr old Jeeps have spent far more on regular maintenance than my 15yr old 200k+ miles minivan has undergone....

Yes, because
a) pride of ownership,
b) easy to maintain,
c) many owners like to take them offroad.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rockraven on May 04, 2018, 10:01:45 AM
Other people spend $45K+ for vehicles that absolutely suck offroad and in the winter, have shit for cargo space, and will never be taken on a race track. They're called sportscars.

Sportscars are fun to drive on the street, though. The point is that Wranglers suck to drive on the street, where all cars spend 99% of their time.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 04, 2018, 03:13:09 PM
Sportscars are fun to drive on the street, though. The point is that Wranglers suck to drive on the street, where all cars spend 99% of their time.

I hear this but why do they suck on the street? Because they can't pull .9 G? Top down, at legal speeds, it's perfectly enjoyable. In most cases, more fun than a mainstream car.

Xer0

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 04, 2018, 01:30:16 PM

If we're being completely fair, those people also probably enjoy their car far more than your minivan.

r0tor

Quote from: Rockraven on May 04, 2018, 06:06:11 PM
I hear this but why do they suck on the street? Because they can't pull .9 G? Top down, at legal speeds, it's perfectly enjoyable. In most cases, more fun than a mainstream car.

Wranglers are fucking miserable on the road... Loud, terrible wind noise, shitty ride, shitty brakes, shitty acceleration, horrendous steering

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2018, 08:01:57 PM
Wranglers are fucking miserable on the road... Loud, terrible wind noise, shitty ride, shitty brakes, shitty acceleration, horrendous steering

Is not the newest one better at coming close to squaring the circle?

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2018, 08:01:57 PM

Oh yeah. I had a rental for 10 days in HI. Truly mediocre on-road experience for all the reasons you list. The hardtop roof was a flimsy contraption that was a big hassle to set up and tear down. I'm sure they're great off road, but we didn't get a chance to try that out beyond just some mild unpaved sections.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

I love how people expect a vehicle with front and rear solid axles and serious off road prowess to be a gem on the road. lol

The top isn't that complicated. As a detailer, it took me 2-3 to get familiar with it.  It's not rocket appliances. 

r0tor

The soft top takes a seasoned owner 10-14 minutes to put up/down.

I don't expect the thing to be great on-road.  I rented one at the beach and was fantastic driving around the dunes.  Fact is like most SUVs, 95% of the owners will never go on anything more then a gravel road though - which makes the purchase completely bonkers.

CALL_911

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 05, 2018, 12:02:07 AM
I love how people expect a vehicle with front and rear solid axles and serious off road prowess to be a gem on the road. lol

.....?

I don't think anyone expects it to be good on road- they're all simply stating that it sucks on road.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2018, 09:36:13 AM
But you were the guy dumping on people for buying crossovers with shitty AWD systems

Can't win
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

...yea, no room for a happy medium...

Laconian

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 05, 2018, 09:41:08 AM
.....?

I don't think anyone expects it to be good on road- they're all simply stating that it sucks on road.

:hesaid:

My takeaway is that Wranglers are built to be "so bad they're good." The on-road punishment is part of the authentic experience, or something.

MX793

The Wrangler, like an Elise, is a very compromised vehicle with an emphasis on off-road ruggedness over on-road comfort and prowess.  Nothing wrong with that.  What's somewhat baffling is why such a compromised vehicle, often not used to it's capability or for it's intended purpose, has been such a sales success when compared to other types of "niche" vehicles that are equally compromised or impractical.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on May 05, 2018, 07:29:56 PM
The Wrangler, like an Elise, is a very compromised vehicle with an emphasis on off-road ruggedness over on-road comfort and prowess.  Nothing wrong with that.  What's somewhat baffling is why such a compromised vehicle, often not used to it's capability or for it's intended purpose, has been such a sales success when compared to other types of "niche" vehicles that are equally compromised or impractical.

Image, H&H.

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on May 05, 2018, 07:29:56 PM

You can seat five adults in a Wrangler compared to about one and a half in an Elise.

Laconian

Quote from: Rockraven on May 05, 2018, 07:34:44 PM
Image, H&H.

Image for sure. People spend a lot of money and go to great uncomfortable lengths in order to project the image of themselves they want.

Laconian

It would be fun to have a Wrangler provided that I lived in a place where I could enjoy it often - but even still, I'd probably be wracked with guilt for all the erosion I'd be causing. ;)

shp4man

One of the reasons they sell is simply because they're kind of unique. Very utilitarian looking. Also a crapload of accessories both functional and styling related. They can be made even more unique.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 05, 2018, 08:52:24 PM
It would be fun to have a Wrangler provided that I lived in a place where I could enjoy it often - but even still, I'd probably be wracked with guilt for all the erosion I'd be causing. ;)

Designated trails, fire roads, and even 4x4 parks exist. There's no need to be destructive just taking these things where they're supposed to go.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on May 04, 2018, 10:03:09 PM
Oh yeah. I had a rental for 10 days in HI. Truly mediocre on-road experience for all the reasons you list. The hardtop roof was a flimsy contraption that was a big hassle to set up and tear down. I'm sure they're great off road, but we didn't get a chance to try that out beyond just some mild unpaved sections.
They're very popular around here, as are Subarus: good for getting around on the 20% and up grades on a lot of the roads & driveways. I seen some driveways where you could legitimately justify installing a winch to reel your car up & down.  Why someone would choose a Wrangler over a Subie? I'm guessing for the top-down fun in the summer, and the recreational/leisure image....
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Laconian

Subarus have a big recreational image too, but it's more "tread lightly and remember to bag up your poop" and less "fuck your topsoil".

A winch to get in your own driveway? Damn

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 06, 2018, 11:19:12 AM
Subarus have a big recreational image too, but it's more "tread lightly and remember to bag up your poop" and less "fuck your topsoil".

A winch to get in your own driveway? Damn

Some of that is unfair (for both brands).

Some of it isn't though.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator