Hybrids in Hilly Terrain

Started by Morris Minor, December 14, 2017, 06:13:04 AM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 21, 2017, 11:07:26 PM
I've noticed this as well.  I imagine it's programming for towing/load purposes or just the nature of larger engines.

Big pistons + more pistons = more vacuum when you shut the throttle. And more surface area along the cylinder walls to create friction.

Edit: although I'm not positive that larger pistons = more braking force if the compression ratio is the same as a smaller displacement engine.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 21, 2017, 07:05:14 PM
It generally tracks with displacement. I mean, lots of other factors are there too, but a bigger engine means more engine braking.
Yes.  Weight, displacement and compression ratio.  My Sunbeam Tiger would skid the rear wheels if I tried to gear down into second without proper coordination of engine revs and speed.  Don't think I tried it too often.  Even third was a bit dicey if I was going a bit fast.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 22, 2017, 03:03:34 PM
Yes.  Weight, displacement and compression ratio.  My Sunbeam Tiger would skid the rear wheels if I tried to gear down into second without proper coordination of engine revs and speed.  Don't think I tried it too often.  Even third was a bit dicey if I was going a bit fast.
Sunbeam Tiger, eh?  I applaud your exquisite taste.  :golfclap: .
At Brit car shows people ignore the hordes of lowly MGBs & gather round the Alpines & Tigers.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 22, 2017, 03:03:34 PM
I chewed the hell out of my motorcycles back tire on my last track day. Only 649cc but I think it has 11:1 compression and only weighs 700lb with me on it. They make clutches that slip on back torque for motorcycles
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 27, 2017, 10:34:19 PM
I chewed the hell out of my motorcycles back tire on my last track day. Only 649cc but I think it has 11:1 compression and only weighs 700lb with me on it. They make clutches that slip on back torque for motorcycles

Factory tire size on a Tiger was only 155 wide.  I think they had an open diff, too.  Throw in the crappy, low-grip bias plies of the era, and it wouldn't be hard to get it to slip a tire either on acceleration or under engine braking.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5