New Chevy Silverado

Started by veeman, December 20, 2017, 01:19:41 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on January 15, 2018, 04:16:33 PM
I think my comment was coming more from "back in the day" when the norm for a truck was an 8 foot bed.  Now it's rare to see one.

It's rare because the average person would rather have some back seats and a 6' bed over a short cab and an 8' bed.  8' beds are predominately real work trucks only.  It's not like you can't still get an 8' bed. :huh:

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 15, 2018, 04:57:41 PM
It's rare because the average person would rather have some back seats and a 6' bed over a short cab and an 8' bed.  8' beds are predominately real work trucks only.  It's not like you can't still get an 8' bed. :huh:

If I were to get a full size truck, it better haul an ATV and sheets of plywood.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on January 15, 2018, 05:07:07 PM
If I were to get a full size truck, it better haul an ATV and sheets of plywood.

So buy one with an 8' bed...because they make them...?  Not sure what the complaint is here. 

giant_mtb

I mean, shit, I can easily fit ten 4x8 sheets of 1" thick foam board in Tacoma's measly 6' bed just fine.  Y'all talking like you can't haul 4x8 sheets without an 8' bed. Sure, you can't lay them flat to haul as many, but gas is cheap amirite? :lol:

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 15, 2018, 05:10:31 PM
So buy one with an 8' bed...because they make them...?  Not sure what the complaint is here. 

Who's complaining? All I'm saying is, if I'm spending $$tupid on a full size truck, it's going to be as useful as fuck. Yes, that means an 8 foot bed.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on January 15, 2018, 05:30:41 PM
Who's complaining? All I'm saying is, if I'm spending $$tupid on a full size truck, it's going to be as useful as fuck. Yes, that means an 8 foot bed.

Okay.  Then you can buy one.  Problem solved.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 15, 2018, 05:37:52 PM
Okay.  Then you can buy one.  Problem solved.

I don't want to.

shp4man

Like this one, but not in white:

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on January 15, 2018, 05:44:15 PM
Like this one, but not in white:

Yup. The cheapest work truck with a V8 and 8 foot bed.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 68_427 on January 15, 2018, 02:55:59 PM

Gross.

A giant SUV with an even gianter semi-truck front end, with a tiny bed on back.

OH and you have to spend a couple more thou to get a cover so your groceries don't get wet.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on January 15, 2018, 05:44:15 PM

I don't like this look, either. The bumperline is so low and there is so much vertical space. It's like a semi from the 80s only de-blinged.
Will

Payman

I don't like it either, and the sightlines must be horrible.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on January 15, 2018, 04:47:09 PM
I prefer the Ram, but whatever. The very idea of buying a new full size truck is hilarious to me.
WORD! The prices are Crazy!

Quote from: Rockraven on January 15, 2018, 05:07:07 PM
I rented a Crew Cab Silverado in 2015 to take my Quad to my cabin! I had to let the air out the rear tires of the Warrior to get the rear gate to close!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

shp4man

I think it looks very truck like with the high hood.

68_427

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 15, 2018, 06:34:10 PM
Gross.

A giant SUV with an even gianter semi-truck front end, with a tiny bed on back.

OH and you have to spend a couple more thou to get a cover so your groceries don't get wet.

Who the fuck puts groceries in the bed.  I had a hard tonneau cover on my truck and still put them in the cab
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 68_427 on January 16, 2018, 05:46:30 AM
Who the fuck puts groceries in the bed.  I had a hard tonneau cover on my truck and still put them in the cab

The idiots that buy one to haul their 3 kids around in.

(I see that a LOT.)
Will

12,000 RPM

Bed covers are like a couple hundred bucks man

The front end looks like more and more of a mess the more I see it.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 16, 2018, 08:20:40 AM
The idiots that buy one to haul their 3 kids around in.

(I see that a LOT.)

Well I see a lot of Dads around where I live hauling their three kids in Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds.  They both can traverse school zone speed bumps equally well I think  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on January 16, 2018, 09:03:36 AM
Well I see a lot of Dads around where I live hauling their three kids in Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds.  They both can traverse school zone speed bumps equally well I think  :lol:

LOL there were TONS of jacked-up 2door Jeeps with a baby seat in the back in Tennessee.     I always thought, "lucky kids".   :lol:
Will

Laconian

1 cyl DOD. I wonder how that little cylinder makes enough power to overcome pumping losses
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Lebowski

After seeing in person ... I really don't like what they did with styling. Current model is the best looking full sized truck by a mile, this one ... barf.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Lebowski on January 20, 2018, 01:18:29 PM
After seeing in person ... I really don't like what they did with styling. Current model is the best looking full sized truck by a mile, this one ... barf.

Agreed.  GMT900 is peak modern truck, IMO.  11th-gen F-series is peak modern F-series, then Ford went all Transformer toy on them, especially the latest ones, and now everyone else is following suit.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on January 20, 2018, 01:05:58 PM
1 cyl DOD. I wonder how that little cylinder makes enough power to overcome pumping losses

With the valves shut off, there are no pumping losses; energy used to compress the cylinder is returned.

Gotta sound rough though; and at idle, running on 1 cylinder; will it ever get warm enough to have heat?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lebowski

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 20, 2018, 01:25:38 PM

Agreed.  GMT900 is peak modern truck, IMO.  11th-gen F-series is peak modern F-series, then Ford went all Transformer toy on them, especially the latest ones, and now everyone else is following suit.

Yeah, the current Ford looks terrible too, that's in part what makes the current Chevy/GMC stand out as so attractive in comparison.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Lebowski on January 20, 2018, 01:45:06 PM

Yeah, the current Ford looks terrible too, that's in part what makes the current Chevy/GMC stand out as so attractive in comparison.

It's like tools.

:wtf:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 20, 2018, 01:40:03 PM
With the valves shut off, there are no pumping losses; energy used to compress the cylinder is returned.

Gotta sound rough though; and at idle, running on 1 cylinder; will it ever get warm enough to have heat?

At idle it should just turn off.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 20, 2018, 01:53:41 PM
At idle it should just turn off.

I wonder about that function too; gotta be hell on the starter motor.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 20, 2018, 01:40:03 PM

No pumping losses but there are losses from compressing air (heat) which is not insignificant.

I'm gonna guess that there's a good deal of Funny Business that goes on to make it tolerable. For example, it's a virtually a guarantee that it's not just one cylinder thumping away. I'm gonna guess that all cylinders are used in a "Russian Roulette" sort of fashion - for example, using a different cylinder for each crank rotation. Something like that, combined with active engine mounts, should make it tolerable.

Current DOD/AFM/start-stop monitors various vehicle parameters and will kick out if need be. For example, when sitting at a light in hot weather, cylinder start-stop will bow out in order to keep the AC compressor operating at some minimal threshold of effectiveness.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on January 22, 2018, 04:01:43 PM
Current DOD/AFM/start-stop monitors various vehicle parameters and will kick out if need be. For example, when sitting at a light in hot weather, cylinder start-stop will bow out in order to keep the AC compressor operating at some minimal threshold of effectiveness.

The few times I drove my parents' new Cruze, the start/stop feature never actually kicked in. Not sure what I was doing wrong. I know you have to set A/C to Eco if you have it on, the engine has to be at normal operating temp, etc.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide