Jeep Cherokee Facelift

Started by 2o6, December 29, 2017, 08:20:46 AM

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 10:55:53 AM
People don't buy 5 seat CUVs to fill the role of 7-8 passenger minivans.

CUVs are popular because they have greater space/utility than sedans and better on road manners and economy than body on frame SUVs :huh:

The CRV exists only because people became too self conscious to be seen in a hatchback/wagon/minivan.

They have never had any better practicality then the segment they replaced.  They have always handled worse, road worse, and had worse mileage in exchange for not be seen in a wagon/van.  Up until just recently, the CRV and RAV4 couldn't even send more then 15% of their power to the rear wheels of their "AWD" systems and nobody cares because nobody used them for anything more then light soccer mom duties.

Their existence souly depends on SUVs being "ok" to be seen in.  Nobody who actually needs an SUV for things that SUVs bring to the table (towing, offroading, 4WD) ever look at them.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2018, 10:39:34 AM

No wonder you're so defensive about it.  Also not really sure why this digression began since this is a Cherokee thread, not a Grand Cherokee thread.

Only responding to a bullshit "body on frame" comment.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 11:43:19 AM

The CRV exists only because people became too self conscious to be seen in a hatchback/wagon/minivan.

They have never had any better practicality then the segment they replaced.  They have always handled worse, road worse, and had worse mileage in exchange for not be seen in a wagon/van.  Up until just recently, the CRV and RAV4 couldn't even send more then 15% of their power to the rear wheels of their "AWD" systems and nobody cares because nobody used them for anything more then light soccer mom duties.

Their existence souly depends on SUVs being "ok" to be seen in.  Nobody who actually needs an SUV for things that SUVs bring to the table (towing, offroading, 4WD) ever look at them.

I'd rather be seen in a hatch or wagon than a CRV :huh:

The image as a reason for buying a CRV argument is weird even for someone with your history of being and defending wrong.

All of your criticisms save the awd comment also apply to your JGC, at least the CRV has some interior space, is cheaper, better interior, and vastly better quality, reliability, resale etc.

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 07, 2018, 11:14:59 AM
And people who buy GCs aren't? :wtf: I don't think I've ever seen a JGC towing anything and plenty of people have RWD ones outside of the snow belt. You take that away, what's the utility of a JGC over a CR-V? :popcorn:

So when you take away the actual *real advantages* of an actual SUV, it doesn't have anymore ability then a common soccer mom mobile

Brilliant  :clap:

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 11:53:41 AM

The image as a reason for buying a CRV argument is weird even for someone with your history of being and defending wrong.

All of your criticisms save the awd comment also apply to your JGC, at least the CRV has some interior space, is cheaper, better interior, and vastly better quality, reliability, resale etc.

And I'm sure you bought your rugged body on frame SUV for it's rugger 4WD system and great road manners

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 11:51:15 AM
Only responding to a bullshit "body on frame" comment.

?

Quote from: veeman on January 05, 2018, 02:16:00 PM
Jeep doesn't need to make it body on frame or otherwise increase it's off road chops.  No one uses these to actually off-road.

Quote from: r0tor on January 05, 2018, 03:14:17 PM
So what is a body on frame 4 Runner going to do offroad that a "uniframe" Grand Cherokee isn't?

Unless I'm not seeing it, you're the one that brought up the GC out of nowhere...

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 11:53:41 AM

Wow... another person who strips a real SUV of it's actual real utility and comments it's no better then a slightly lifted station wagon.

Is there a flood in this strange village of terrible thinkers?

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 30, 2017, 06:23:34 AM
They should make a body-on-frame to go up against the 4Runner, something not so hardcore as the Wrangler.  Seems like the 4Runner has the niche all to itself. (I'm discounting the big Tahoes/Yukons here)

This would be my original comment on the JGC

Soup DeVille

I do occasionally see JGCs towing boats. Small boats usually, but I do see them. Camper trailers as well. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 07, 2018, 12:15:28 PM
I do occasionally see JGCs towing boats. Small boats usually, but I do see them. Camper trailers as well. 

indeed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 11:56:59 AM

And I'm sure you bought your rugged body on frame SUV for it's rugger 4WD system and great road manners

I bought the 4Runner as a beater, grocery getter, and dog car. But I've also never said otherwise and am not the one attacking people for buying practical SUVs :huh:

How much do you regularly tow with your JGC?

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 12:16:27 PM

I bought the 4Runner as a beater, grocery getter, and dog car. But I've also never said otherwise and am not the one attacking people for buying practical SUVs :huh:

How much do you regularly tow with your JGC?

You buy sports cars and never use them for their capability and a rugged BOF 4WD SUV and also never use it for it's capability.  Congrats on being a poser.

I bought the JGC for getting through snowstorms, going to Lowe's, hauling the family on vacations, and hitching up a trailer and bike racks.  It's been up to it's uniframe rails in sand, mud, and way above the bumper in snow.  It's towed a bunch of crap.  It's done everything I ever asked of it and has done everything I bought it to do.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 12:34:36 PM

You buy sports cars and never use them for their capability and a rugged BOF 4WD SUV and also never use it for it's capability.  Congrats on being a poser.

I bought the JGC for getting through snowstorms, going to Lowe's, hauling the family on vacations, and hitching up a trailer and bike racks.  It's been up to it's uniframe rails in sand, mud, and way above the bumper in snow.  It's towed a bunch of crap.  It's done everything I ever asked of it and has done everything I bought it to do.

Actually no, I'm selling a sports sedan I don't use. This may be beyond your comprehension, but selling is the opposite of buying. If I were a poseur I'd finance a Ferrari and say I borrowed the money to invest.

Bikes?  Gougs carries those all the time w/ his G. Lowe's and family trips, yeah a minivan can't do that. "A bunch of crap" isn't very specific. Plenty of passenger cars in snowy climates.  The constant need to chestpound and justify how manly your purchases are in unrelated threads seems pretty poseurish to me.

r0tor

Save me the righteous bullshit.  I've bought a sports car and a rugged SUV and have used both to their absolute potential.  My purchases have been grounded in reality, practicality, and financial responsibility.

You could have saved $$$,$$$ on your Vette, M3, and 4Runner purchases with a used Corolla and a seat cover and then actually been able to do your Trump grade financial genius chest pounding.

12,000 RPM

r0tor is fucking losing it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PErsonally I think you do all that stuff in the JGC solely for the purpose of justifying the purchase to strangers on the internet. The only thing your JGC can do that a CR-V can't is tow.... which again begs the question what exactly are you towing on a regular basis?

Using the RX-8 to its maximum potential? Trundling in traffic? :lol: IIRC you were just saying your commute became a lot shittier in the context of the RX-8's intended purpose. You don't do track days. Where and when are you using the RX-8 as intended? So many questions :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Yea... I drove through blizzards not because I was a manager at a critical power plant and needed to go to work - but because I had to justify my JGC purchase.  I buried the thing in sand not because we love vacationing at the 4WD beaches of OBX, but because I needed to justify my SUV.  The mud... Well yea,no did that because I could.

I would have been helplessly fucked in a CR-V in any of the above.

My RX8 has seen plenty of racing in it's life.  Most of which was not legal - some was.  I suppose I did that though to justify my car purchase.  I love bombing down back roads also to justify my car purchase.

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 01:59:38 PM
I would have been helplessly fucked in a CR-V in any of the above.

You would have another kid and drive to Whole Foods more, to justify the purchase.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on January 07, 2018, 02:08:34 PM
You would have another kid and drive to Whole Foods more, to justify the purchase.

Mall crawling bro

2o6

This is one of the dumber arguements here at CarSPIN

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 07, 2018, 01:47:15 PM
The only thing your JGC can do that a CR-V can't is tow...

No.  A JGC is  much more capable off road/in inclement weather.  Doesn't the CR-V have a pretty half-assed AWD system?

https://jalopnik.com/looks-like-the-2015-honda-cr-vs-awd-system-doesnt-work-1649969431

And, guys, people aren't towing shit daily unless it's their job. Relax.

CALL_911

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 10:33:56 AM
Yeah... this is old news!

Heh shows how out of the loop I am. Do you still have the 4Runner/M3?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2018, 03:36:54 PM
No.  A JGC is  much more capable off road/in inclement weather.  Doesn't the CR-V have a pretty half-assed AWD system?

https://jalopnik.com/looks-like-the-2015-honda-cr-vs-awd-system-doesnt-work-1649969431

And, guys, people aren't towing shit daily unless it's their job. Relax.

Yea, consumer reports have even shown the CRV / RAV4 can't even hold a candle to a Forrester

https://www.consumerreports.org/video/view/cars/auto-test-track/4503044972001/awd-showdown-subaru-forester-vs-honda-cr-v-vs-toyota-rav4/

I especially appreciate the RAV4 center diff lock that automatically disengages at 25mph

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 04:04:23 PM
Yea, consumer reports have even shown the CRV / RAV4 can't even hold a candle to a Forrester

https://www.consumerreports.org/video/view/cars/auto-test-track/4503044972001/awd-showdown-subaru-forester-vs-honda-cr-v-vs-toyota-rav4/

I especially appreciate the RAV4 center diff lock that automatically disengages at 25mph

Ahh, this is a feel-good video for a Subaru owner. Even though I only drive in 4 inches of snow, worst case.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on January 07, 2018, 04:19:40 PM
Ahh, this is a feel-good video for a Subaru owner. Even though I only drive in 4 inches of snow, worst case.

They do still make a decent AWD system for sure - although I would take their older AWD systems that had locking/limited slip differentials over some of their newer systems.

A CR-V/RAV4 has always been a complete joke of an SUV.

Lebowski

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 07, 2018, 03:56:43 PM

Heh shows how out of the loop I am. Do you still have the 4Runner/M3?

I'm driving the 4Runner, M3 is sitting in the garage waiting for Rotor's financing to come through.

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 01:19:44 PM

Save me the righteous bullshit.  I've bought a sports car and a rugged SUV and have used both to their absolute potential.  My purchases have been grounded in reality, practicality, and financial responsibility.

Of course you do, and please keep telling us how rugged it is.

You could have saved $$$,$$$ on your Vette, M3, and 4Runner purchases with a used Corolla and a seat cover and then actually been able to do your Trump grade financial genius chest pounding.

Yep, I could have. Just as you could have bought a used Kia Sportage or Subaru Outback that can do every rugged thing you've ever done in your JGC, and with vastly better build quality, reliability, and resale to boot. Same for a used civic in place of the RX8.

FWIW I've never had second thoughts over buying either the C6 or the 4Runner, and even the M3 made sense at the time, and wasn't til ~2+ years after I bought it that I really starting thinking "eh, not sure I'd buy this if making a car buying decision today". 

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 05:36:45 PM

Yep, I could have. Just as you could have bought a used Kia Sportage or Subaru Outback that can do every rugged thing you've ever done in your JGC, and with vastly better build quality, reliability, and resale to boot. Same for a used civic in place of the RX8.

Can't tell if your clueless or halarious on either

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 07, 2018, 05:22:40 PM

I'm driving the 4Runner, M3 is sitting in the garage waiting for Rotor's financing to come through.

Not buying your M3... That thing is bound to have some massive carbon build up issues

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on January 07, 2018, 05:59:18 PM

Not buying your M3

Damnit, when were you going to tell me?  All this time I've been holding it for you.

r0tor

DI engine that's never been run hard... That's just asking for massive issues.