Truck campers

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 15, 2018, 06:54:09 PM

AutobahnSHO

So full-size trucks aren't my thing but I'd consider doing this eventually. Be able to park the camper and drive the truck.

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2005-starcraft-9ft-pop-up/6441058849.html

Will

shp4man

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 15, 2018, 06:54:09 PM
So full-size trucks aren't my thing but I'd consider doing this eventually. Be able to park the camper and drive the truck.

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2005-starcraft-9ft-pop-up/6441058849.html

3/4 ton truck with big heavy sway bars is recommended.

r0tor

My family had one growing up... Parked it all summer at a permanent camp site.  He only had a wimpy 1980s F150.

I remember the loading and unloading if the thing onto the truck was a bit of a fiasco.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

I haven seen one of those in years!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

All things considered, it's easier to pull a small trailer. The truck campers are use by guys with boats a lot, because the truck can still haul the boat, but other than that it's easier to drop a trailer than to crank off the camper.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on January 15, 2018, 08:34:49 PM
3/4 ton truck with big heavy sway bars is recommended.

Bahh.

You're one of those guys that believes tow ratings too, aren't you?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 16, 2018, 06:49:22 AM
Bahh.

You're one of those guys that believes tow ratings too, aren't you?

I'm thinking like a low mileage 'bout an 06 or so F250 with the V10. Perfect.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on January 16, 2018, 05:22:26 AM
I remember the loading and unloading if the thing onto the truck was a bit of a fiasco.

I could see that.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 16, 2018, 06:48:14 AM
All things considered, it’s easier to pull a small trailer. The truck campers are use by guys with boats a lot, because the truck can still haul the boat, but other than that it’s easier to drop a trailer than to crank off the camper.

And that too.

I think the truck camper would help us go more minimal (can't carry too much junk). But really it's just dreaming at this point, we wouldn't use it much even if we did get the truck and the camper. In about 10years we could use it to go visit the kids, wherever they end up. As I peruse Craigslist for RVs/trailers/ campers, I saw last night a used trailer sold by a dealer saying the guy that bought it NEVER used it, and a 2014 trailer which had been "used only 4 times".

Will

shp4man

At work, one of my jobs is a 2001 model gigantic full size motorhome. The POS only has 5000 miles on it. It sat unused for so long the fuel pump motor seized up, which I got to replace. It was in the 100 gallon gas tank. It was really fun, with spiders and dead mice.  :ohyeah:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on January 16, 2018, 08:54:19 AM
At work, one of my jobs is a 2001 model gigantic full size motorhome. The POS only has 5000 miles on it. It sat unused for so long the fuel pump motor seized up, which I got to replace. It was in the 100 gallon gas tank. It was really fun, with spiders and dead mice.  :ohyeah:

lol awesome.
Will

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 16, 2018, 08:19:29 AM
I could see that.

And that too.

I think the truck camper would help us go more minimal (can't carry too much junk). But really it's just dreaming at this point, we wouldn't use it much even if we did get the truck and the camper. In about 10years we could use it to go visit the kids, wherever they end up. As I peruse Craigslist for RVs/trailers/ campers, I saw last night a used trailer sold by a dealer saying the guy that bought it NEVER used it, and a 2014 trailer which had been "used only 4 times".

A pull behind is just so much easier - plus greatly opens up the options for a towing vehicle
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on January 16, 2018, 09:22:16 AM
A pull behind is just so much easier - plus greatly opens up the options for a towing vehicle

yup. I look at the little tiny ones from time to time- easily pulled by our minivan. But then you have to go outside to per. Definitely need a halfway decent bathroom.
Will

RomanChariot

Quote from: shp4man on January 16, 2018, 08:54:19 AM

That was the reason we went with a travel trailer instead of motorhome. I couldn't see having to deal with the increased mechanical maintenance and increased costs for something that was going to sit in one place the majority of its life. Tires die of old age and motorhome tires are a lot more expensive than travel trailer tires.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 16, 2018, 11:12:34 AM
That was the reason we went with a travel trailer instead of motorhome. I couldn't see having to deal with the increased mechanical maintenance and increased costs for something that was going to sit in one place the majority of its life. Tires die of old age and motorhome tires are a lot more expensive than travel trailer tires.

I always thought it would be fun to do motorhome touring. Just go into the back during rest stops and get a snack or lay down. etc... etc...

But a friend pointed out if you motorhome you can't setup camp then go to the store. If you pull a trailer, you can park then still drive the truck.
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 16, 2018, 10:52:07 AM
yup. I look at the little tiny ones from time to time- easily pulled by our minivan. But then you have to go outside to per. Definitely need a halfway decent bathroom.

If you're at a campground, they'll have a place to pee.  If you're going backcountry camping; you're already in a place to pee.

(No, my wife doesn't see this the same way).

There are pop-ups and hybrids that have real bathrooms though.

shp4man

If your family is only two people or so like mine, you don't need a giant motorhome. You can get one with a bathroom (it's small, shit and shower at the same time  :lol:) that will fit in a regular parking spot.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on January 16, 2018, 11:56:56 AM
If your family is only two people or so like mine, you don't need a giant motorhome. You can get one with a bathroom (it's small, shit and shower at the same time  :lol:) that will fit in a regular parking spot.

I really like the van-sized ones. But they are usually expensive or junk. I see a lot of decent-shape older bigger ones.
Will

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 16, 2018, 12:28:24 PM
I really like the van-sized ones. But they are usually expensive or junk. I see a lot of decent-shape older bigger ones.

Most campers are absolute shit under the skin. They're chipboard covered in aluminum or vinyl; and once that wood gets wet for any length of time, they're basically worthless. Which is why you see so many "bargains" out there.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 16, 2018, 11:53:23 AM
If you’re at a campground, they’ll have a place to pee.  If you’re going backcountry camping; you’re already in a place to pee.

(No, my wife doesn’t see this the same way).

There are pop-ups and hybrids that have real bathrooms though.

My wife is ok peeing on the side of the road, or without a bathroom. But that's frowned upon..      We had the chance to save $120 when we went to Maryland for New Year's. Cabins on-post are $50/night but you have to walk to the bathrooms (maybe 25m?). Wife didn't want to do that, to the tune of $40/night more.

I like being able to not have to bundle up to pee at night. :huh: :lol:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 16, 2018, 12:30:59 PM
I like hotels

Yeah but they get sold out in the summer, are not where I want to be sometimes, etc...
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 16, 2018, 12:32:08 PM
Most campers are absolute shit under the skin. They’re chipboard covered in aluminum or vinyl; and once that wood gets wet for any length of time, they’re basically worthless. Which is why you see so many “bargains” out there.

Totally understood..
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 16, 2018, 12:33:20 PM
Yeah but they get sold out in the summer, are not where I want to be sometimes, etc...

You don't think campgrounds ge sold out?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 16, 2018, 12:34:00 PM
You don’t think campgrounds ge sold out?

Yeah but where we usually are, there are more parking spaces than hotels..
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 16, 2018, 12:46:14 PM
Yeah but where we usually are, there are more parking spaces than hotels..

Oh. Parking lot camping.

There's a word for that...

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 16, 2018, 12:34:00 PM
You don't think campgrounds ge sold out?

We booked campsites for Arches National Park for spring break. In order to get sites inside the park we had to book 6 months in advance (the earliest their system will allow) and every campsite that came up on the website was gone within 15 seconds. It took 3 days of trying for us to get enough sites for our group.

giant_mtb

I have a customer with a quite new 2500HD Silverado (or Sierra?) that uses a bed camper.  He takes it to Alaska every year.  Not sure if he tows a boat as well or just likes the compact-ness of the bed camper.  I dunno, he's loaded so he does whatever the hell he wants. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 16, 2018, 01:11:44 PM
Oh. Parking lot camping.

There’s a word for that...

yeah, it's "last resort because you didn't make it to the campground"

I didn't necessarily say I was looking at RVs to "camp" but to "recreate"  :lol:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 16, 2018, 01:13:37 PM
We booked campsites for Arches National Park for spring break. In order to get sites inside the park we had to book 6 months in advance (the earliest their system will allow) and every campsite that came up on the website was gone within 15 seconds. It took 3 days of trying for us to get enough sites for our group.

I imagine Yellowstone is the same..
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 16, 2018, 01:47:48 PM
yeah, it's "last resort because you didn't make it to the campground"

I didn't necessarily say I was looking at RVs to "camp" but to "recreate"  :lol:

If that's on the agenda, then a converted van or truck bed camper begin to make more sense.