Truck campers

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 15, 2018, 06:54:09 PM

AutobahnSHO

found a new idea.

RVshare.com

Looks kinda like airBnB. Sometimes you have to put $1500-2000 deposit down. Maybe we'll do that in the summer to get the bug out of our system.

Wife REALLY wants to do self-driven RV, but we don't have a car to tow so that would be interesting.
Will

giant_mtb

Look into Cruise America as well.  They've been in the game for quite a while and may be cheaper/easier to go through than an AirBnB style vendor, though the selection is more limited (I've only ever seen them in Ford E-/F-450+ guise) and may not be quite as nice as something you can get through a sharing service.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 17, 2018, 11:04:21 AM
Look into Cruise America as well.  They've been in the game for quite a while and may be cheaper/easier to go through than an AirBnB style vendor, though the selection is more limited (I've only ever seen them in Ford E-/F-450+ guise) and may not be quite as nice as something you can get through a sharing service.

Yeah, I'll look. I think they're more expensive but no weird surprises.

I have a friend who rented from them then bought one used. Then used it like 2 times and a few years later was looking to unload it for what he owed on the loan. Like $26k and no one was showing interest. Cracks me up every time how much people will spend on toys (RVs, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc...)
Will

CaminoRacer

I might rent from Cruise America sometime and do a national parks cruise.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 17, 2018, 11:43:16 AM
Yeah, I'll look. I think they're more expensive but no weird surprises.

I have a friend who rented from them then bought one used. Then used it like 2 times and a few years later was looking to unload it for what he owed on the loan. Like $26k and no one was showing interest. Cracks me up every time how much people will spend on toys (RVs, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc...)

Sounds like he needs to get it up on rvshare.com.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 17, 2018, 11:59:46 AM
I might rent from Cruise America sometime and do a national parks cruise.

Make sure you reserve spots way in advance. Honeymoon?

My dad honeymooned up through Canada, he and mom took some sleeping bags. And their car. :mask:   And just slept on the ground?
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 17, 2018, 12:13:43 PM
Sounds like he needs to get it up on rvshare.com.

That was almost 3 years ago, I'll have to drop him a note.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 17, 2018, 12:14:26 PM
Make sure you reserve spots way in advance. Honeymoon?

My dad honeymooned up through Canada, he and mom took some sleeping bags. And their car. :mask:   And just slept on the ground?

Nah, my dad will get us a room at a Hilton for the honeymoon. He has a lot of HHonors points.

I've joked about camping in Moab for a week after the wedding. It was not received well :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 17, 2018, 12:18:20 PM
I've joked about camping in Moab for a week after the wedding. It was not received well :lol:

LOL Guess you know where she stands on that. Or is she cool with non-honeymoon camping?
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 17, 2018, 01:22:29 PM
LOL Guess you know where she stands on that. Or is she cool with non-honeymoon camping?

Yeah she'd be fine with any other time.