2o6 Review - Toyota C-HR

Started by 2o6, January 20, 2018, 09:51:36 AM

r0tor

Quote from: Xer0 on January 24, 2018, 09:44:31 AM
I'm always amazed that with just an LSD, my Si feels better in the snow than pretty much any cute ute I've driven recently.  But I know that AWD has become a MUST HAVE feature for a lot of people for "safety".

Well, considering most cute Utes are powering only the front wheels through and open diff...  yea
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

I haven't sat in one of these - but is it similar to the CX3 that doesn't have enough front leg room, no rear leg room, and not enough luggage space for a week's worth of groceries unless you fold down the rear seats.

The thing might as well be a 2 seater... At least then there would be front leg room and trunk space.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: r0tor on January 24, 2018, 10:03:55 AM
I haven't sat in one of these - but is it similar to the CX3 that doesn't have enough front leg room, no rear leg room, and not enough luggage space for a week's worth of groceries unless you fold down the rear seats.

The thing might as well be a 2 seater... At least then there would be front leg room and trunk space.

No. Not at all. The C-HR has a lot of space; the CX-3 doesn't.

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 24, 2018, 06:01:56 AM
ZDX was just ahead of its time and from the wrong brand. Look at all the "SUV coupes" the Germans have been putting out.

The difference is zee German products aren't as compromised as the ZDX was, and they can get away with making stupid products because for whatever reason they get a pass from stupid consumers.

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 22, 2018, 03:02:01 PM
There's AWD and "AWD."  Should be a distinction on the vehicle sticker. :lol:

I think the NHTSA should publish a certification for all weather capability, with multiple levels. You buy the level that suits your climate and driving needs.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 24, 2018, 11:01:09 AM
I think the NHTSA should publish a certification for all weather capability, with multiple levels. You buy the level that suits your climate and driving needs.

Genius!

(and watch the manufacturers start gaming the rating with tires, transmissions, funky traction control systems, etc...)
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 24, 2018, 11:03:22 AM
(and watch the manufacturers start gaming the rating with tires, transmissions, funky traction control systems, etc...)

Probably.

2o6

But these part-time AWD systems work fine for most people. It's not like a Chevy Trailblazer or basic Durango is gonna do that much better.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on January 24, 2018, 11:24:52 AM
But these part-time AWD systems work fine for most people. It's not like a Chevy Trailblazer or basic Durango is gonna do that much better.

Sure, but transparent and standardized labeling of the capabilities would help keep people from doing dumb things with their cars. I've seen the lamer AWD systems get stuck in slushy patches on the passes.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on January 24, 2018, 11:30:42 AM
Sure, but transparent and standardized labeling of the capabilities would help keep people from doing dumb things with their cars. I've seen the lamer AWD systems get stuck in slushy patches on the passes.

I am not sure it would work.

I posted this in the winter thread but a co-worker as a 328xi (about 2 years old) and he ended up in a ditch during the winter. My Golf R was fine. By all accounts BMW's AWD system is a true AWD and far more advanced than the simple Haldex system my Golf uses (which is likely very similar to the CRV.RAV4 systems).

The difference of course was that I was driving with winter tires and he was driving with all seasons. At the end of the day tires make much more difference than how many driven wheels you have in most foul weather conditions. Trying to categorize certain AWD systems as better/safer for consumers would lead even more people to think their AWD car/CUV is more useful than it really is.

r0tor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 24, 2018, 11:03:22 AM
Genius!

They already do that.  Many systems quote that they can deliver 100% (of available) power to either axel...

Most assume that they system can divert power to either axel.  What it really means in most instances is if the front axel is on ice with no traction at all, the rear can handle all of the engine torque without limits... essentially meaning it can achieve a full 50/50 lockup of the center diff.

It's all marketing mumbojumbo

93JC

Quote from: Laconian on January 24, 2018, 11:30:42 AM

It is not in the manufacturers' interest to be transparent. The more they can obfuscate the exact design and capabilities of their AWD systems, the better. They make oodles of money slapping 'lame' AWD systems into easily-overwhelmed cars.

Laconian

Hybrid Intelligent Real Time Blockchain i-AWD

Laconian

Gotta give it time to mine that traction!

veeman

Quote from: 93JC on January 24, 2018, 10:53:10 AM
The difference is zee German products aren't as compromised as the ZDX was, and they can get away with making stupid products because for whatever reason they get a pass from stupid consumers.

Yes.  The ZDX was way too expensive for an Acura being about the same cost as a BMW X6 sold at that time. The rear seats didn't fit adults. It was underpowered for an expensive fashion statement sporty looking car. 

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on January 25, 2018, 09:59:34 AM
The rear seats didn't fit adults.

The rear roofline was made to clobber skulls. I think it must have been penned in Japan where the average adult height is a few inches shorter.

12,000 RPM

I tell you hwut. A ZDX reimagined for us obese gaijin today would make for a better flagship than the snoozefest RL.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 26, 2018, 05:46:20 AM
I tell you hwut. A ZDX reimagined for us obese gaijin today would make for a better flagship than the snoozefest RL.

I agree. The ZDX's execution flaws were too grave, but the concept is sound. Image conscious boomers who want to sit up high because of hips etc.