Honda CR-V

Started by Morris Minor, January 27, 2018, 02:10:07 PM

Morris Minor

One of the managers at the dealer told me Accords used to outsell all their other models combined. Now the CR-V does that.

Here's ours. I'll put up more pics when I can. It is roomy, pleasant, and nicely-made. There's a lot of electronic gadgetry to absorb. The good news is it has an "Earth Dreams Turbo," so now I'm certified crunchy gaia-friendly.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Galaxy

Holy Hell, they are still on the Earth thing marketing trip?

They used that as an image in Formula 1 back in 2008.

GoCougs

Saw one last night. Honda hit it outta the park with the new CRV. It has the just the right touch just about everywhere, esp. styling. Once reliability/durability is added in, it's a car that keeps the rest of the auto world; especially ze Germans; up at night.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

ifcar

Congrats! How did the decision-making go? How were the other front-runners ruled out?

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on January 27, 2018, 02:32:04 PM
Saw one last night. Honda hit it outta the park with the new CRV. It has the just the right touch just about everywhere, esp. styling. Once reliability/durability is added in, it's a car that keeps the rest of the auto world; especially ze Germans; up at night.

Really... what German SUV competes with it?  Tiguan?  Anything else?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Tave

I like the CR-V, my mom's has two of them recently. The AWD is little more than a polite suggestion, and the interior design is a touch too futuristic for futuristic's sake, but the rest of the car is spot on and it's a great place to spend time.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on January 27, 2018, 02:32:04 PM

....the lux equivalent in both ubiquity and sales is the X3

Lebowski

Lebowski

Beautiful car Morris. A real specimen of engineering.  I'm jealous! 

CALL_911

Yeah man, they really did a terrific job with this new CRV. Ditto the new Civic and Accord.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on January 28, 2018, 12:00:42 PM

....the lux equivalent in both ubiquity and sales is the X3

But not the equivalent in reliability. Ze Germans can't match a $25k Honda at any price.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on January 28, 2018, 01:09:05 PM
But not the equivalent in reliability. Ze Germans can't match a $25k Honda at any price.

Other than VW, why would they want to when they make the big bucks in the upper reaches of the market?

When I find myself with time near a Honda dealer I'll take a look at one just because of SpInCRVMania.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

veeman

I don't know if it keeps ze Germans up at night but it certainly does GM and Ford.  Especially with Nissan hitting it out of the park with the Rogue as well. 

AutobahnSHO

Will

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on January 28, 2018, 12:39:29 PM

None can.

Right, because they arent fwd biased 4 door minivans
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 28, 2018, 01:41:45 PM
Other than VW, why would they want to when they make the big bucks in the upper reaches of the market?

When I find myself with time near a Honda dealer I'll take a look at one just because of SpInCRVMania.

Fair enough - "it's in the shop" isn't the badge of honor it once was but it is indeed still there...

Morris Minor

Quote from: ifcar on January 28, 2018, 08:02:03 AM
Congrats! How did the decision-making go? How were the other front-runners ruled out?
i looked at:
Outback
CR-V
Highlander
Sorrento
Santa Fe Sport
Murano
Edge   
Q5
X3

For each model I looked at the price high & low. Cargo capacity max & min. Mpg: city/combined/highway. 0-60. Consumer Reports reliability & owner satisfaction ratings, and a report on depreciation.  It came down to the Edge & the CR-V. Then I thought about which would most likely last for 15 years, and remembered my 03 Pilot,which is still in the family.                 

giant_mtb

I wouldn't trust an Edge for more than 6 years.

veeman

Quote from: GoCougs on January 28, 2018, 04:50:26 PM
Fair enough - "it's in the shop" isn't the badge of honor it once was but it is indeed still there...

That's pretty funny :lol:

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 28, 2018, 05:40:48 PM
i looked at:
Outback
CR-V
Highlander
Sorrento
Santa Fe Sport
Murano
Edge   
Q5
X3

For each model I looked at the price high & low. Cargo capacity max & min. Mpg: city/combined/highway. 0-60. Consumer Reports reliability & owner satisfaction ratings, and a report on depreciation.  It came down to the Edge & the CR-V. Then I thought about which would most likely last for 15 years, and remembered my 03 Pilot,which is still in the family.                 

If I wasn't hung up on the AWD implementation, I'd probably go with a CR-V too. That 1.5T is utter magic. Gaia friendliness with no downside, except maybe redline.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 28, 2018, 05:40:48 PM
i looked at:
Outback
CR-V
Highlander
Sorrento
Santa Fe Sport
Murano
Edge   
Q5
X3

God damn, did you write a Python script :lol:

You jest but maybe we should all collaborate on such a thing. Call it AutoDecree. "Something is wrong with this script... it keeps recommending the CR-V" :lol:

I think it was the right choice. If it were the previous gen I would have looked at something else, but the current CR-V is about as nice as anything damn near 2x the price. Why didn't you look at the RDX though? With the new one coming I'm sure they'd have cut a deal. And it addresses my only gripe with the CR-V (horsepower).
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Will

r0tor

No actual test drives?

shp4man

Was it built in Ohio?

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 29, 2018, 05:54:06 AM
God damn, did you write a Python script :lol:
My curse (and blessing - it's made me a good living)... is that I over-analyze everything. Once we realized we were not interested in a luxury or near-luxury brand, it became pure left-brain stuff.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 29, 2018, 09:42:18 AM
My curse (and blessing - it's made me a good living)... is that I over-analyze everything. Once we realized we were not interested in a luxury or near-luxury brand, it became pure left-brain stuff.

We should open a home appliance subforum.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 29, 2018, 10:16:34 AM

We should open a home appliance

Let's keep this civil please.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 29, 2018, 09:42:18 AM
It's OK, I made spreadsheets for most of my recent auto purchases. Lesson learned, GIGO
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

I keep a GSheets workbook, logging dates, mileage, work done, by whom, and cost.

Two sheets now end with "Collision - Total Loss"  - first was my daughter's Scion four years ago.