Honda CR-V

Started by Morris Minor, January 27, 2018, 02:10:07 PM

Morris Minor

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 25, 2018, 05:45:44 AM
Early morning at the fitness center. Cayenne: clean & unadorned. CR-V: chrome, frippery, light cluster weirdness.

The Porsche was there again today.
It has a vanity plate: "BETTER"
I like that.
I'm guessing the two other cars in his stable have: "GOOD" and "BEST"
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on February 28, 2018, 08:41:31 AM
I don't get that either, nobody railed against buying new :huh:

+1

My last four car purchases have all been new, never got any grief about it.  :huh:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on February 27, 2018, 09:39:19 PM
BULLSHIT! Cars are fourth behind that damn CR-V..........  :partyon:

It's what Spinners CRAVE!

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on February 28, 2018, 09:56:17 AM
+1

My last four car purchases have all been new, never got any grief about it.  :huh:

If you were poor I would have tried to grief you. :huh: :lol:
Will

Morris Minor

It's just a little CUV, but it's liberating to finally be able to carry bulky stuff around.

Lebowski

And room to spare for a German Shepherd or two.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Lebowski on March 16, 2018, 08:43:08 AM
And room to spare for a German Shepherd or two.
So far just our little frou-frou doggie:

Lebowski

That's not bad for a small dog, what breed is that?

Morris Minor

American Eskimo - basically a compact version of a German Spitz.

giant_mtb

She (he?) feeling better?

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 17, 2018, 09:08:24 AM
She (he?) feeling better?
She is yes thanks - vet thought she's bruised/sprained something - back to normal now.

Morris Minor

After four months with the CR-V, my impressions:

• Opening the trunk hatch with the weird spastic kicking-under-the-bumper motion is successful about 1 in 20 attempts
  • A couple of cents worth of Dynamat stuck inside the rear doors would be most welcome
  • I've used it in stop start traffic and the dynamic cruise control works very well. But, it's a little harsh on the brakes - enough to make passengers nervous. The camera tracks the car in front & the car latches onto that. When I'm driving I try to look at the guy two cars ahead and anticipate braking/acceleration to keep things smooth. At highway speeds I have no complaints with it.
  • The lane keep assist and lane departure warning works fine. Very useful.
  • The space and convenience inside is great - it's been very liberating.
  • The infotainment system would take a couple of days to master in detail: you can configure just about anything to a ridiculous level of granularity. And it seems sluggish, e.g put the car in reverse and it takes an annoying second for the trajectory lines to superimpose on the display. Bottom line - use Android Auto or Apple Car Play.
  • Performance is great - I love the little engine and the CVT that keeps it always in the torque & power sweet spot.
  • The climate control is very unaggressive; it takes a long time to get down to your set temperature. I think this is a gas-saving thing. You typically have to turn the temperature way down temporariliy to get a cold blast to cool you off quickly.
  • It's so easy to live with it's ridiculous. Lots of little details like the self-releasing parking brake. Doors that lock when you walk away. Seat that detects your key fob and adjusts to you and you get in.
Overall I'm really happy with it. The Mercedes CLK was the fun car and it was always the Infiniti that we'd been thinking about swapping out for something like spacious & practical like a CR-V. But then the CLK got totaled & here we are. When the Infiniti's time comes we might get something a bit more nimble.

Lebowski

Yeah I never got the hang of the trunk kick w/ the M3. It would work maybe 1/3 of the time.

12,000 RPM

Honda A/C tends to be weak. That is my only bugaboo with them, but it's a dealbreaker for me. I am OK to sacrifice some MPGs for comfort.

As for a fun replacement for the G, man if I were retired I'd love to have something like an old SL550 or 640i. Just you, the wife, trunk full of luggage, hood full of horsepower, headed off to a quaint AirBnB for the weekend.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

No complaints on my A/C. Does a good job with a lot of cabin space, and I LOOOOVE the auto feature. 
Will

CALL_911

Quote from: Lebowski on May 10, 2018, 07:03:49 AM
Yeah I never got the hang of the trunk kick w/ the M3. It would work maybe 1/3 of the time.

Yeah my mom's car has it and it never works.

Glad you like the CRV, Morris. I'm a big fan of the ones I've been seeing on the road. I don't know what I'd get between the CR-V and the CX5 if I were shopping in this class.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

I feel like the turbo CR-V would deliver a better overall driving experience. For all Honda's ubiquity they still know how to make anything fun to drive.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

The cargo volume of the CR-V was a big factor vs the CX-5. I see a lot of the Mazdas around here though. They are great cars - fun to drive.

Lebowski

Interior space of CRV is significantly better than the CX-5 IMO. I also found the CRV interior materials and overall fit and finish to be better. CX5 is a nice vehicle, but the CRV is nicer.

giant_mtb

CX5 feels like a coffin compared to a CRVVVV

Morris Minor

I volunteer for some of the grunt work maintaining the trails here. What you don't see is the stream behind me that my buddy had just forded in his Wrangler. He wants me to sell the G37 and buy a manly 4X4 work truck so I can be of more use.  :lol:
Anyway. thought it was a good photo.

Morris Minor

Wife driving us home. Freeway speeds in heavyish rain, and this comes up on the dash. I'm beginning to wonder about this car...

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 09, 2018, 02:52:03 PM
Wife driving us home. Freeway speeds in heavyish rain, and this comes up on the dash. I'm beginning to wonder about this car...

Radar obstructed?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

They probably all do that in rain. Nice that you're warned though!
Will

SJ_GTI

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 09, 2018, 03:02:47 PM
They probably all do that in rain. Nice that you're warned though!

I've never had it happen in the rain. I've had some sensors blocked when snow was on my car, but once wiped off it was fine.

Laconian

The Subaru does this when it's raining really hard or the windshield is dirty or fogged. Basically the measurements from the safety sensors aren't reliable enough to be useful/safe.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Any car with any sort of autonomous/radar systems will do this. It's raining too hard for the sensors to see well.

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 10, 2018, 07:46:02 AM
Honda A/C tends to be weak. That is my only bugaboo with them, but it's a dealbreaker for me. I am OK to sacrifice some MPGs for comfort.

As for a fun replacement for the G, man if I were retired I'd love to have something like an old SL550 or 640i. Just you, the wife, trunk full of luggage, hood full of horsepower, headed off to a quaint AirBnB for the weekend.

+100

You can get low mile, late model last generation SL's in the upper 20's now.  Really, really great cruisers, useful just about all year around, and even with the top down there is room in the trunk for a big garment bag and two suitcases behind the seats.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Laconian

I'm not sure I would trust MB to make PRHTs that last.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT