Formula1 2018

Started by Galaxy, February 26, 2018, 01:29:05 PM

Galaxy

McLaren has ditched Honda as an engine partner, because they were to unreliable, and slow. It is somewhat ironic then that on the first day of testing for the 2018 season we have:

Least laps - Mclaren Renault - 6
Most laps - Toro Rosso Honda - 44

And the speed traps.

1.   Räikkönen   288.7   0
2.   Hartley   284.9   0
3.   Stroll   283.4   0
4.   Bottas   279.7   0
5.   Ericsson   277.6   0
6.   Grosjean   276.9   0
7.   Mazepin   276.9   0
8.   Hülkenberg   274.8   0
9.   Ricciardo   272.7   0
10.   Alonso   271.3   0

Yeas, they lost a wheel, but still. I think long term ditching Honda was a mistake. Honda is a great company they will get it right eventually, and Mclaren was essentially the Honda works team. Now they are a Renault customer. Always a Beta to the Renault works team.

Payman

I can understand the privateers like Williams and Haas having to partner with an engine supplier, but there's no excuse for McLaren not to be running their own engines by now.

r0tor

Well compared to last year, Mclaren is way better off.  Last year Honda missed their engine delivery date, causing the car build to go late and miss shakedown runs that were scheduled...

Then first official testing day engine #1 died after 1 lap, day 2 saw engine #2 die in another few laps, rinse and repeat for day and engine number 3... i believe they only completed like 40 laps all week. 

All for an engine that missed every single benchmark it was given.

There is actually a good documentary on 2017 McLaren preseason testing on Amazon Prime.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Actually for the record, the fastest car and also the one with the most laps (100) was the Red Bull Renault.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

^ The data I posted was for the mid day, my mistake. Still after two days McLaren is at the bottom of most laps driven, while the Honda did double the laps.

Also:

It was not snowing that bad, but a neat little joke.

Galaxy

Maybe winter tires are not a bad idea.

Mercedes built a snowman in the garage.

Galaxy

This is priceless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1hzb2IFWSs&feature=youtu.be

I love the reaction of those two guys when they take their tire away and drop off the one from the other side, you can see the wheels turning in their head.

Galaxy

Pirelli explains the difference in lap times between the softer tire compounds (there is also Hard, and Super Hard).

Galaxy

Congrats to Hamilton for 1st Pole of the Season.

F1 has its first official theme music.

http://youtu.be/KTETwgQnbsQ

I like, just maybe not for F1.

Morris Minor

This is good, really good, ... all about Frank Williams:
https://www.netflix.com/title/80196135

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Rich

Howabout a MotoGP thread too?  That was wayyyy more fun to watch than F1

I'm still interested to see if anyone can take down Mercedes this season....
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

So what happened to all this glorious improvemts for viewing in America... I see no streaming app and the fucktards at ESPN (sorry I despise ESPN) aired qualifying at 1am with no reairing and it's not available on demand

...and I forgot to reset my DVR function to adjust for it being on another network  :banghead: ....

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on March 24, 2018, 10:52:46 AM
So what happened to all this glorious improvemts for viewing in America... I see no streaming app and the fucktards at ESPN (sorry I despise ESPN) aired qualifying at 1am with no reairing and it's not available on demand

...and I forgot to reset my DVR function to adjust for it being on another network  :banghead: ....

Apparently it is available on the ESPN App.

F1 is also working on its own streaming service, it has not launched yet, because they want to get it right.

r0tor

ESPNs covergae was a complete utter dumpster fire.  Most of the prerace was f'd up and they switched to basketball, during the race their commericals overlapped the key parts of the race, the world feed commercial breaks were a static ESpN logo... and then no post race breakdown at all.  The US Haas team retirements we're not even mentioned.

WTF

...and tell sky to hire Will Buxton as his on the.grid segment use to be stellar...

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT_Power

Ferrari conspiracy starting up early this year  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

r0tor

I like the excuse of "a new team can't possible be that good" from Sauber.

I think a polite response is "how can an established team possibly be that bad"

Rich

Hamilton's drive through the field Sunday was great to read about, and the clips of on track action were fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFWLOMoBQoA

Haas seems to be doing well this year also.  I hope they can keep it up.  I'd like to see them manufacture their cars from the ground up someday. 

I still feel bad for Alonso.  How is McLaren's F1 effort such shit.

FoMoJo

Excellent competition this season.  Nice to see so many competitive teams/drivers.

As an old, old F1 fan, I can't help thinking that Hamilton is the most naturally skilled driver since my all-time favourite, Jimmy Clark. 

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rich

That shit was crazy on Sunday.  This is the first title race that I have ever paid attention to.

12,000 RPM

I dont know how you guys watch this shit. Rich if you're ever in my hood for an hour I will talk you through a MotoGP RACE
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

So Force India has become Force Canada, eh?

Would look nice with white and red and some maple leafs.

FoMoJo

US Formula 1, good race by Kimi.  Lewis can clinch the title in Mexico now.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 21, 2018, 02:01:44 PM
US Formula 1, good race by Kimi.  Lewis can clinch the title in Mexico now.

That was the best race in a while. First Kimi win in 5 years. Thought Ferrari had botched their pit strategy, turns out they were on the ball.

heelntoe

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 24, 2018, 05:52:41 AM
This is good, really good, ... all about Frank Williams:
https://www.netflix.com/title/80196135

This was really good! After watching this, I started getting into F1 a little more. Watched through the 2007 and 2008 seasons completely and am now halfway through 2009.
@heelntoe

Galaxy

So what is the Carspin verdict on the Verstappen - Ocon scuffle?

http://youtu.be/IUd5a5IxTXg

Generally I usually give Verstappen fault for collisions he is involved in, but in this case, while someone who is in 16th position certainly has every right to unlap himself, he should not be fighting the race leader for the apex imo. On the other hand Verstappen could have avoided the whole situation. An excellent driver can avoid other drivers mistake. Plus he had much more to lose.

Then we had Vettel breaking the FIA scales during qualifying because he floored it out of there. Another one of his road rage incidents. On the other hand it was starting to rain, a few seconds can make the difference between qualifying at the front, or at the back when the track is wet. The FIA officials were moving at a somewhat leisurely pace.

http://youtu.be/NNVTOsx-NLE?t=176

Here is an external view of him leaving, and sending the things flying.

http://streamable.com/6pzrx

CaminoRacer

Ocon had the position, so Verstappen is at fault IMO
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 11, 2018, 03:34:32 PM
Ocon had the position, so Verstappen is at fault IMO
Agree.  What was Verstappen thinking?

On another note, congratulations to Lewis for his 5th championship...a couple of weeks late.

heelntoe

@heelntoe

Galaxy

Quote from: heelntoe on November 11, 2018, 09:33:37 PM
https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1061714137686966274?s=20

Looks like they had a clash off the track as well

I still the fault Ocon more for the collision, but Verstappen is a fucking clown for making the conflict physical. 2 days of public work is probably not enough to calm him down. Also Red Bull team Principal Helmut Marko's reaction is unacceptable stating that Ocon should be glad that Verstappen's dad was not there. Jos Verstappen was sentenced to 5 years in jail on parole after he broke someone's skull after a karting incident. Was not the only time his hand slipped. What a lovely family.

Max is going to be a handful if he fights for the championship.