New Audi A6

Started by Galaxy, February 28, 2018, 09:32:40 AM

Galaxy

Exterior looks better then the A7, and A8 imo. Interior seems identical to the A7.

12,000 RPM

I'm so tired of Audi's design laziness. This is ridiculous
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 28, 2018, 09:37:10 AM

+1. Full blown yawn.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

giant_mtb

I like it.  Simple, stately.  Not every car needs to be an abomination like the Civic.

SJ_GTI

cawimmer430

Elegance and pure understatement. I think it looks great. Audi's design language is predictable but that doesn't mean it's boring. This is very nice.  :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

You would need a doctorate in industrial forensics to be able to tell the differences between this one and the last one quickly. Why bother with a redesign/relaunch at all?

MexicoCityM3

BMW frankly has become boring too, almost as bad as Audi. The only one of the German luxury 3 with design mojo these days is Mercedes.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Yes, Mercedes definitely has a bunch of hits. They have uglified a good bit of their lineup too though (A-Class, CLS, SL nose). I am really hoping they adapt the GLC design language to the GLE/GLS. That is one beautiful crossover.

cawimmer430

I think these cars look better in person. The new A8 looks like the old A8 in the photos, but when you see them up close and personal the design details really hit you - and in a good way.

Earlier this year I visited the Audi Museum in Ingolstadt and saw the new A8 in the showroom next door. It's gorgeous. And that interior is stunning and just radiates quality.

As always, design is subjective. But I also think most A8 owners (and buyers in this class in general) prefer their cars' design to be a tad understated and evolutionary, not revolutionary.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 28, 2018, 01:56:39 PM
Yes, Mercedes definitely has a bunch of hits. They have uglified a good bit of their lineup too though (A-Class, CLS, SL nose). I am really hoping they adapt the GLC design language to the GLE/GLS. That is one beautiful crossover.

The GLE Coupe is such a great looking over the top car. 

cawimmer430

Did some car window shopping today at my local Volkswagen dealer. The idea was to look for something that I could purchased (ideally used) if the BMW suddenly failed and required expensive repairs.

I settled on the current Golf Variant (Wagon) with the 1.4 TSI 150-horsepower engine and 7-Speed DSG. The amount of cargo space that thing has without the rear seats folded down is already impressive. Loved the seating feel inside the showroom car, which was a poverty-spec model with analog speedometers. Car felt good, though.

Anyway, next to the VW dealer is... an Audi dealer! They had a lovely A8 in there. It's a massive car, but the design is seriously beautiful. These things look better in person, trust me.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

The Mk7 Golf is a really nice car.

Raza

It looks great, but that's what Audi does. They make great looking cars.

I know some of you wish they'd make an ugly car for the hell of it because ugly is more exciting, or whatever, but Audi is a German company. The Japanese already make a ton of ugly cars (except Mazda; they make good looking cars). The market is saturated. If you want to come into today's market and sell an ugly car, you have to work really hard to make it uglier than the competition and differentiate yourself.

Still, this doesn't look as good as the A5/S5 Sportback, which I think is Audi's best looking sort of normal car right now.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Why are things presented as binary.... there are more choices for design besides ugly and boring. Infinitely more actually. There was once a time where Audi's design language was new and innovative. About 20 years ago.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 02, 2018, 06:14:20 AM
Why are things presented as binary.... there are more choices for design besides ugly and boring. Infinitely more actually. There was once a time where Audi's design language was new and innovative. About 20 years ago.

When there's evidence of it not being binary.  Basically every car is ugly and when one isn't, people call it boring.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on February 28, 2018, 09:37:10 AM
WORD!!!!!  :zzz:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on March 02, 2018, 06:36:25 AM
When there's evidence of it not being binary.  Basically every car is ugly and when one isn't, people call it boring.

For real.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on March 02, 2018, 06:36:25 AM
No, you have just decided that anything boring = good looking. Boring, ugly and good looking are 3 distinct groups. Audis are inoffensive but they stopped being good looking about 2 iterations ago.

mzziaz

Looks good, imo. The evolving design language of Audi is a good thing. It builds a brand much better than, say Honda, that goes in a completelyn ew direction every other generation.
Cuore Sportivo

Galaxy

It is still to much sameness, however I think they did differentiate them more then some others in the recent past.

At least for the rear styling.

GoCougs

I like it. A lot. Audi is killing it with their design - no other automaker comes close. The A8 is really the only outlier.

Yes, the designs are at best iterative, but in this day and age, most daring designs are awful to laughable.

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on March 10, 2018, 09:14:34 PM
I like it. A lot. Audi is killing it with their design - no other automaker comes close. The A8 is really the only outlier.

Yes, the designs are at best iterative, but in this day and age, most daring designs are awful to laughable.
I like it too - Audi's current design language is successful IMO.

PS I wish Toyota & Toyota & Nissan would get their acts together.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Meh, outside the S3/RS3 and TTRS their cars look too damn bland for my liking.  I use to love the B6/BUT generation A4 but now that it's a snooze fest now.  I dont think any of the A5 variants look nearly as good as they use too either.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

I never liked the A5 coupe. Looked "landau" and droopy next to the sedan. To be fair, the 3/4 series coupe hasn't looked better than the sedan since the E36... maybe even the E30.

But yea Audi may as well not bother with "generations". Just iterate MQB ad infinitum

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 12, 2018, 12:57:30 PM
I never liked the A5 coupe. Looked "landau" and droopy next to the sedan. To be fair, the 3/4 series coupe hasn't looked better than the sedan since the E36... maybe even the E30.

But yea Audi may as well not bother with "generations". Just iterate MQB ad infinitum

*MLB

Galaxy

Looks like the S7, S6 will loose an additional two cylinders. Audi introduced a new tri-turbo V6 at the Vienna Engine Symposium, essentially a modified version of the 2.9 V6 in the S5, with DIN 450hp. Two of the turbos are exhaust driven, the third is electric. The engine will also be a mild hybrid, and run in the miller combustion mode. No confirmation that it will actually power the next S6,S7 but it is the only logical conclusion.

12,000 RPM

Next S6 will be a PHEV with a 4 banger :facepalm:

Xer0

A tri-turbo V6 with an additional electric motor for good measure.  I feel bad for whoever ends up buying a 7 year old, 100K mile example of this car.