Driving for Lyft and Uber

Started by AutobahnSHO, March 03, 2018, 06:12:04 AM

AutobahnSHO

The headline is definitely clickbait and I'm shocked any "media" outlet uses that kind of phrasing now. But the study is interesting, says drivers are paid under minimum wage and everyone is shorting the government on the taxes that should be paid.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/02/mit-study-shows-how-much-driving-for-uber-or-lyft-sucks/
Will

giant_mtb

That's all fine and dandy, but if it were really that shitty, nobody would be doing it. :huh:

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 03, 2018, 06:12:04 AM
The headline is definitely clickbait and I'm shocked any "media" outlet uses that kind of phrasing now. But the study is interesting, says drivers are paid under minimum wage and everyone is shorting the government on the taxes that should be paid.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/02/mit-study-shows-how-much-driving-for-uber-or-lyft-sucks/

At least at the state level, governments are catching on and tightening the noose on the gig economy to make sure they are getting their cut.  Massachusetts now requires PayPal to issue a 1099 to any MA resident that receives more than $600 (cumulative) through paypal transactions over the course of a year (even if it's just accepting paypal as payment for selling your old, used stuff), which means that "income" gets reported to both the state and the IRS.  Ordinarily PayPal would only issue a 1099 if you issued 200+ transactions or did $20K in total sales through a year.  No doubt MA is trying to catch the folks earning a little side cash driving for Uber or similar gigs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 03, 2018, 10:18:30 AM
That's all fine and dandy, but if it were really that shitty, nobody would be doing it. :huh:

a lot of people probably don't calculate the wear and tear.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 03, 2018, 10:31:03 AM
a lot of people probably don't calculate the wear and tear.

Everybody that drives (ie, virtually every adult) deals with wear and tear.  I drive a boatload for work and write off my miles.  Would be a shame if Uber/Lyft caused a shift in mileage write-off...some of us spend a lot more per mile than Uber drivers because we aren't driving fuel efficient vehicles.  Don't wanna deal with wear and tear?  Don't drive for work.  It's pretty simple.  Not making enough money?  Find something else to do.   

Overall, this article just makes me  :violin:

:mask:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on March 03, 2018, 10:28:44 AM
At least at the state level, governments are catching on and tightening the noose on the gig economy to make sure they are getting their cut.  Massachusetts now requires PayPal to issue a 1099 to any MA resident that receives more than $600 (cumulative) through paypal transactions over the course of a year (even if it's just accepting paypal as payment for selling your old, used stuff), which means that "income" gets reported to both the state and the IRS.  Ordinarily PayPal would only issue a 1099 if you issued 200+ transactions or did $20K in total sales through a year.  No doubt MA is trying to catch the folks earning a little side cash driving for Uber or similar gigs.

Wait, so if you get $50 each from 12+ people through PayPal in one year, they send you a 1099? That's garbage
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

So set up your PayPal through a Wyoming S-Corp.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Will

veeman

I used Uber a lot in New Delhi a few weeks ago.  In dollars it was really cheap.  One ride lasting 1 hr and 10 min , 33.8 km  (21 miles), cost me 9.5 dollars. 

2o6

As I've said before, Uber/Lyft is more about strategy. There are a lot of guys out there who make *decent* money (IE better than retail and fast food) driving for Lyft/Uber.

I did OK with it, averaging about $14 an hour after gas, (Not counting depreciation tho). For me, it was a good gap filler when I was in college and needed extra cash, and my part time job didn't give me enough.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on March 06, 2018, 08:20:09 AM
As I've said before, Uber/Lyft is more about strategy. There are a lot of guys out there who make *decent* money (IE better than retail and fast food) driving for Lyft/Uber.

I did OK with it, averaging about $14 an hour after gas, (Not counting depreciation tho). For me, it was a good gap filler when I was in college and needed extra cash, and my part time job didn't give me enough.

And that's probably ok for most drivers. If you were doing it long term that depreciation/wear and tear might really take a bite out of personal profits.
Will

Morris Minor

I was in Boston over the weekend for my son's wedding. We took limo services, taxis, Uber & the T.
I'm only an occasional Uber user: can't remember when I'd last used it before this trip. But I'll say it was a delight from my angle. My only gripe was one driver's Ford  Fusion, whose shocks & suspension bushings were beyond end-of-life. Probably beaten to death by Boston's third world road surfaces.

The taxis were disgraceful. Ugh. No wonder they're fading away.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

How is that legal?  I pretty much only use paypal to sell and pay people back.  Neither of those are income and I would trip those limits in a year.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Xer0

Quote from: MrH on May 01, 2018, 02:56:20 PM
How is that legal?  I pretty much only use paypal to sell and pay people back.  Neither of those are income and I would trip those limits in a year.

I think Paypal flags transactions differently.  I use Paypal to sell collectibles to individual shops and they then they Paypal me the funds but its not counted as sale since it doesn't go through a seller portal but rather they just send me the money as a gift or a push transaction.  I forget the exact terminology, but it doesn't treat the transaction as a sale on my end and thus not tripping any limits.

Anyway, I feel like some version of this article comes out every year.  And LOL at that guy in the link brushing criticism off by saying "its MIT, they don't make mistakes".  Dude's got some egg on his face now.

Morris Minor

Uber has lost its license to operate in London, one of its biggest markets, and one of its few profitable markets.
Uber is part of the fabric there. There are a lot of back stories to this. Established interests (Black cabs) do not like Uber

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/25/uber-driver-london-mayor-election-firm-loses-licence-11214867/
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși