Toyota RAV4

Started by 2o6, March 28, 2018, 09:49:07 AM

CaminoRacer

Looks like a Jeep Compass with a shark mouth.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

What the hell is going on with those wheel arches?!?!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

68_427

I don't mind the Trail model
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

RomanChariot

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on March 28, 2018, 07:13:14 PM

Jeep made more than they needed so Toyota got a good deal on them.

Lebowski

I like it ok, better than the current model.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 29, 2018, 10:42:09 AM
LOL!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Looks bigger than it is, not that it's all that small anymore.  Looks much better than the current one, which I'm not a fan of.

ifcar

I like it. Cleaner looking than the CR-V overall, and not a bad shape. A little fussy around the front end, but not disastrous.

Tave

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on March 28, 2018, 07:13:14 PM

Quote from: RomanChariot on March 29, 2018, 10:42:09 AM

Toyota has been using that design language for decades. Check out Giant's sig pic in this thread—it's what the 4Runner/Taco has always looked like.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

cawimmer430

For a modern Toyota it actually looks pretty sharp and badass (tough).

Still not very pretty, but I'd say it's a step in the right direction of improving their design.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Tave on March 29, 2018, 08:21:33 PM
Toyota has been using that design language for decades. Check out Giant's sig pic in this thread—it's what the 4Runner/Taco has always looked like.
Was just about to say, looks uncomfortably close to a 4Runner

Going to be some scowls at Lebowski's country club
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Lebowski

Baby 4Runner is the way Id like to see them go with the RAV4 styling so I think this is a step in the right direction. Hopefully they can improve how it drives, the interior etc the current RAV4 is not even in the same league as the CRV IMO.

No worries Sporty, I'm not the country club type.

Xer0

Is it just me, or are cute-Utes becoming more masculine?  A lot of the bubbly styling is giving way to more angular looks.

Lebowski

Quote from: Xer0 on March 30, 2018, 10:37:04 AM

Is it just me, or are cute-Utes becoming more masculine?  A lot of the bubbly styling is giving way to more angular looks.

I assume as they become so popular as well as larger, they need to appeal to both sexes.  This RAV4 I'd almost be ok driving, I can't say that about some of the earlier gens.

Xer0

Most likely the truth.  I recall reading a study some years ago where the key finding was that female shoppers are okay with items that appeal to the opposite sex, but male shoppers have a strong preference to masculine things and run far away from feminine things. 

veeman

Quote from: Xer0 on March 30, 2018, 10:37:04 AM

Yes definitely.  Most glaring example to me is the Lexus RX.  The current one, predator face and all, looks butch and I wouldn't mind driving one.  The first few generations I would never have bought just on styling alone.

Lebowski

Yeah, our RX is a complete woman's car, which is maybe even worse than a "chick car". I don't even carry a key for it. New RX is better looking, and more gender neutral.

12,000 RPM

I think styling gender is why the Lincoln Continental failed.

That said, I hope car design doesn't go super aggro. A design can be masculine without being ridiculous.

MrH

Wow.  I really, really like it :mask:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on March 30, 2018, 07:21:15 AM
Baby 4Runner is the way Id like to see them go with the RAV4 styling so I think this is a step in the right direction. Hopefully they can improve how it drives, the interior etc the current RAV4 is not even in the same league as the CRV IMO.

No worries Sporty, I'm not the country club type.

The current generation, the fourth version of the Rav4, was intentionally moved down market to provide for more differentiation between the Yota lineup. The prior 3 models compared very favorably to Honda, hopefully this new version is a step back in the right direction. It certainly looks a lot better.

FWIW, although ugly, cheap feeling, and ergonomically awful, the current gen Rav4 actually rides like a tank. Feels more "solid" than anything in the class, IMO, although like you I prefer the CR-V.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

I don't know, it looks very blocky to me.

93JC

The RAV4 was a car in desperate need of some butching up. The current one is too bland, almost entirely devoid of any character, just a blob with four wheels.

12,000 RPM

The more I see it the less I like it. I think they went too far

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 04, 2018, 07:09:30 AM
The more I see it the less I like it. I think they went too far

I see too much cheapo Mitsubishi & Jeep in it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV