New 2019 BMW 1-Series Hatch: What It Will Look Like And Everything Else We Know

Started by cawimmer430, April 01, 2018, 11:41:19 AM

cawimmer430

New 2019 BMW 1-Series Hatch: What It Will Look Like And Everything Else We Know

If you're a BMW purist, you may want to stop reading here. Why, you ask? Because in a radical departure, your favorite Bavarian hatch is losing its key point of difference – that being its rear-wheel-drive layout. Ach nein!

However is it really all doom and front-wheel-drive gloom for BMW's next-generation A-Class fighter? To find out more, let's illustratively explore further:

The Ultimate Driving Platform?

The current F20/F21 1 Series is an absolute hoot to drive on a twisty backroad. It's fast, tail-happy and communicative. Unfortunately, the downside to this is cramped back seat accommodation, due to its rear-wheel-drive layout.

To get around this packaging stalemate (and let's face it, to spread costs for its FWD-based platform), BMW has switched to front-wheel-drive. But will it handle as good as its predecessor? Many skeptics have cast doubt, yet BMW is giving its best shot by using the automaker's latest FAAR platform.

Mind you, this won't be the first FWD 1-Series, as this distinction goes to the 1-Series sedan based on the current UKL platform and made in and for China.

By heading down this road, it'll enable the 5-door-only 1 Series to be lighter, roomier, agiler and have the ability to support electric powertrains. Plus, don't forget that it will offer all-wheel drive on higher-powered models.

Power To The Front And All Fours

There will be an array of 1.5-liter three and 2.0-liter four-cylinder, turbocharged diesel and gasoline engines spearheading the range, with power being sent to the front wheels via a 6-speed manual (availability depending on the model) and 8-speed automatic transmissions. There will be at least two hybrid models, one mild and one plug-in hybrid with a driving range in excess of 50km or 30 miles.

Yes, We'll Get An M Performance Model

As with the rear-wheel-drive layout, the current six-cylinder models will also face the axe. Fortunately for performance enthusiasts, the six will be replaced with an evolved turbocharged 2.0-litre gasoline unit, pumping out over 300hp through an xDrive AWD system. This range-topper is likely to be called either the M130i or M140i xDrive by M Performance and will face off against Audi S3 and VW Golf R.

Sharper, Precision Styling

Sadly, the 2019 1 Series loses the long hood, short overhang proportions of the outgoing car, yet now features sharper and more precise sheetmetal surfacing.The Hofmeister kink moves away from the gentle, sweeping arch of the current car into an edgier, abstract adaptation.

BMW's signature twin-kidney grille also departs from the norm with a design that's angular, wide and aggressive. Arguably, you could almost label the overall new design as more of a tarmac-orientated X2 – but without the SUV-like cladding.

Possibly Five-Door Only

BMW may follow the latest market trend that sees automakers ditching three-door hatchback models altogether over low demand and offer the 1-Series hatchback exclusively as a five-door model. Evidently, this move would help the Bavarian brand reduce production and development costs.

What About The Interior?

While we know that the platform switch will result in improved space inside, especially for rear passengers, we don't have anything yet on the interior design. However, given BMW's tendency to a) employ, if not identical, very similar cabins across same-sized models regardless of body style and b) take an extremely cautious and evolutionary approach to interior designs, we wouldn't be surprised if the 1-Series cabin ends up looking a lot like that of the X2.

Premium Hatch Alternatives

Mercedes-Benz may have beaten BMW to the punch in revealing their latest A-Class, however, the latter suffers from the same sausage, different length approach to design which could very well give BMW the upper hand.

Other rivals include Audi's soon to be replaced A3, Volkswagen Golf, Infiniti Q30, Alfa Romeo's aging Giulietta and Volvo's new V40.

Expect the all-new 1 Series to debut either towards the end of the year or in the first quarter of 2019, possibly at the Geneva Motor Show, with an M performance model to follow within the next 6-12 months.

So, are you disappointed that the new 1 Series has gone front-drive, or doesn't it matter? Share your views on that and our spy shot-based illustration below.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/new-2019-bmw-1-series-hatch-will-look-like-everything-else-know/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 01, 2018, 06:14:23 PM
Why get this over a GTI or Megane....

Maybe it will drive better?

They have to take this route because the 1er was always shining in terms of driving dynamics but not in terms of overall practicality against its FWD rivals.

On the German 1er Forum that I sometimes frequent some guys are pissed at this, but many just accept the move to FWD as a means of boosting practicality. Goes to show that not all 1er buyers are real driving enthusiasts. And maybe this means one day I'll find a note on my windshield from someone who wants to pay good money for mine because he needs a drift car... :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

I don't understand why BMW has to play in this market in the first place. Low margin, lowish volume (for the segment), not really good for what little credibility the brand has left. And that goes for Mercedes with the A class too. Audi is different as it started out basically like VW's Acura.... but this... IDK.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 02, 2018, 07:24:34 AM
I don't understand why BMW has to play in this market in the first place. Low margin, lowish volume (for the segment), not really good for what little credibility the brand has left. And that goes for Mercedes with the A class too. Audi is different as it started out basically like VW's Acura.... but this... IDK.

It's simple. BMW is a business - they want to make a profit. Customers keep them afloat, not enthusiasts. The majority of 1er buyers are not enthusiasts. Remember that survey which showed that 80% of E87 1er buyers thought their car was FWD? That says it all.

For certain markets these smaller premium cars make sense. I just don't know why Mercedes wants to sell the new A-Class (and the sedan version) in North America. The A-Class sedan is basically a CLA...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Payman

Because it's still a huge market outside the US, where fuel is expensive and urban areas are more congested, yet people still want some luxury and high quality.

MexicoCityM3

Wimmer, it actually seems like this new 1er might be a good car for you. IIRC you have complained about the lack of space in you current one. And you don't care about RWD dynamics, am I right?
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 02, 2018, 09:51:05 AM
Wimmer, it actually seems like this new 1er might be a good car for you. IIRC you have complained about the lack of space in you current one. And you don't care about RWD dynamics, am I right?

I only complained about the lack of space in the rear when I had passengers in the back - which was extremely rare. These days if someone is riding with me it'll be in the front passenger seat. And if I have to drive two people around the second passenger can still somewhat comfortably sit behind the front passenger.

In terms of cargo space the E87 1er is actually surprisingly spacious and practical for my needs. I find the E87 to be roomier than the F20/F21 current 1er.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

The majority of the people didn't know the old one was RWD, but I'd wager a large number of the buyers bought the old 1er because of the way it feels driving... which is because of RWD.

Common buyers being unaware of mechanical terms needs to be separated from what they are feeling.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Quote from: r0tor on April 02, 2018, 10:07:00 AM
The majority of the people didn't know the old one was RWD, but I'd wager a large number of the buyers bought the old 1er because of the way it feels driving... which is because of RWD.

Common buyers being unaware of mechanical terms needs to be separated from what they are feeling.

I've come to appreciate the RWD layout of my 1er - it's truly fun and makes driving the car a pleasure combined with the sharp steering response and standard sporty suspension feel.

However, what I really like about the car (and why I am holding on to it) is the PERFECT LAYOUT and ERGONOMICS of the interior. Everything is where it should be and naturally intuitive. Anyone can get into this car and immediately feel at home - literally. The naturally aspirated engine also plays a role.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSMHf5RbzRo

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Yea, the double kidney grill and roundel on the hood had nothing to do with it :wtf:

Payman

It's simply perceived quality. I think a $20,000 Hyundai Elantra GT is at least 90% as good as this $30,000 Bimmer, but there's value in that roundel and double kidney grille. It's why Nike and Converse can sell $200 sneakers, when Walmart sells similar shoes made from the same materials for $29.97.

2o6

The A class and 1-series are NOT low margin. They likely cost about the same to develop as the Megane and Co, but they have the typical BMW/MB A-la-carte options.

Also, the BMW New Class, 2002, and E21 were on the same plane as Audi, so I don't understand these "BMW was always premium" alternative facts.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 02, 2018, 10:28:34 AM
Yea, the double kidney grill and roundel on the hood had nothing to do with it :wtf:

We got the 1-series here last generation, and aside from the I6 engines BMW put in for our market, the 1 series is still a markedly different (and nicer) car than a comparable Astra or Civic.

When I worked at the BMW dealer, I remember this lady traded in her E46 for an F10 535xi because she wanted AWD and "didn't like how insecure Front-wheel-drive feels in winter" in her old E46.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 2o6 on April 02, 2018, 12:22:59 PM
When I worked at the BMW dealer, I remember this lady traded in her E46 for an F10 535xi because she wanted AWD and "didn't like how insecure Front-wheel-drive feels in winter" in her old E46.

Wrong diagnosis - right solution. So good for her.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

cawimmer430

In my experience these smaller cars from premium brands also have some intangible features which other brands don't provide.

For example, the 2007 BMW 118i that I drive does actually feel quite solid. The doors close with a nice metallic clack and when you drive the car (or ride in it) you feel at ease because the car feels solid - whether its in the city or at high speed on the Autobahn. It feels well-planted, safe, solid and like a brick.

Contrast that to the 2015ish Toyota Auris Hatchback that a friend of mine drives and in which I have ridden in. Essentially it's in the same class as the 1-Series, so the cars could be compared. The Auris is no doubt a good car, but to me it felt built to a price. The doors felt light and almost flimsy and don't shut with a reassuring thud. The suspension felt nervous, especially on the Autobahn. The car didn't feel solid, or at least as solid as my 2007 BMW 1er.

Maybe I am biased, but I recently rode in three newish Toyota Prius Taxis (injured my ankle, couldn't walk for two weeks, needed to ride in taxis to get around town with my crutches) and again - they felt built to a price. Great and fascinating cars, but they lacked that solidity feel of the BMW 1-Series.

I also got that feeling in the 2017 Volkswagen Golf Wagon I checked out a few weeks ago. Great car, but it does not feel as solid as my BMW 1-Series, though in this case I only got to experience it in the showroom, not on the road. But I am a firm believer in these intangible features which some brands build into their cars, and hence for me the higher asking prices are justified. Emotions and how the car makes you feel play an important role here.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

93JC

"Premium brand" compacts are also pretty dumb in a lot of ways. :lol: A friend of mine almost had a panic attack when we rented a CLA250 a couple weeks ago because he felt so claustrophobic.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 93JC on April 02, 2018, 06:21:09 PM
"Premium brand" compacts are also pretty dumb in a lot of ways. :lol: A friend of mine almost had a panic attack when we rented a CLA250 a couple weeks ago because he felt so claustrophobic.

I don't think or understand why that had anything to do with the car being "premium".
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Payman

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 02, 2018, 06:53:18 PM
I don't think or understand why that had anything to do with the car being "premium".

For real. They don't get much more premium, or claustrophobic, than this...

93JC

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 02, 2018, 06:53:18 PM

It embodies the ethos of a "premium" brand perfectly: it screams "I don't NEED this car, I WANT this car." Only a "premium" brand would, or could, eschew practicality in its entirety. Take for example...

Quote from: Rockraven on April 02, 2018, 07:39:30 PM
For real. They don't get much more premium, or claustrophobic, than this...

<Bugatti Chiron>

A Bugatti Chiron. The Bugatti can get away with being impractical because it is a 'hypercar', one of the fastest cars on the planet, built in a limited run of 500, has a 16-cylinder quad-turbo engine, etc., and the thing costs about $3,000,000. A handful of people on the planet will ever own one. It doesn't matter that it guzzles gas and barely has room in it for the trophy wife's $xx,xxx purse or whatever, because it's a playtoy for people have more money than God to show off in. They're advertising to the jealous neighbours: "Look, I can afford to spend $3,000,000 on a super-expensive and exclusive playtoy."

Something like a 5-series BMW or whatever is obviously not on the same plane, but a lot of the same ideas follow. It ostensibly has a 'nicer' interior, a 'nicer' ride, 'better' performance than a plebeian Camry or Accord, which justifies why people spend $70,000 on one when a $35,000 car could have done 90% of the job. People pay that 50% premium for the extra 10% precisely because they can and they want everyone else to know it. They're buying a badge. They're advertising to the jealous neighbours: "Look, I can afford to spend $70,000 on a car. Look at how much money I can spend for that extra 10% worth of 'performance'/'luxury'."

The market the Mercedes-Benz CLA—and this new 1-series—plays in is a market in which people DO care about practicality, gas mileage, repair costs, and all those other boring things that only mere plebes care about, because they're charging plebe prices. That wouldn't be a problem for these cars if not for the fact they don't really do anything else better than their competition does. They make the kinds of compromises that their bigger more expensive brethren make, but they can't and don't back it up with something else. You're paying a premium for the badge, but no one is jealous of "Look, I can afford to spend $38,000 on a car." A $38,000 car from plebeian brands like Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc. can do everything better. It's "fake rich".

Payman

Yeah, whatever. A significant number of buyers of these cars usually have a higher end product from the same marque, like an X5.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 93JC on April 02, 2018, 09:31:52 PM
It embodies the ethos of a "premium" brand perfectly: it screams "I don't NEED this car, I WANT this car." Only a "premium" brand would, or could, eschew practicality in its entirety. Take for example...

A Bugatti Chiron. The Bugatti can get away with being impractical because it is a 'hypercar', one of the fastest cars on the planet, built in a limited run of 500, has a 16-cylinder quad-turbo engine, etc., and the thing costs about $3,000,000. A handful of people on the planet will ever own one. It doesn't matter that it guzzles gas and barely has room in it for the trophy wife's $xx,xxx purse or whatever, because it's a playtoy for people have more money than God to show off in. They're advertising to the jealous neighbours: "Look, I can afford to spend $3,000,000 on a super-expensive and exclusive playtoy."

Something like a 5-series BMW or whatever is obviously not on the same plane, but a lot of the same ideas follow. It ostensibly has a 'nicer' interior, a 'nicer' ride, 'better' performance than a plebeian Camry or Accord, which justifies why people spend $70,000 on one when a $35,000 car could have done 90% of the job. People pay that 50% premium for the extra 10% precisely because they can and they want everyone else to know it. They're buying a badge. They're advertising to the jealous neighbours: "Look, I can afford to spend $70,000 on a car. Look at how much money I can spend for that extra 10% worth of 'performance'/'luxury'."

The market the Mercedes-Benz CLA—and this new 1-series—plays in is a market in which people DO care about practicality, gas mileage, repair costs, and all those other boring things that only mere plebes care about, because they're charging plebe prices. That wouldn't be a problem for these cars if not for the fact they don't really do anything else better than their competition does. They make the kinds of compromises that their bigger more expensive brethren make, but they can't and don't back it up with something else. You're paying a premium for the badge, but no one is jealous of "Look, I can afford to spend $38,000 on a car." A $38,000 car from plebeian brands like Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc. can do everything better. It's "fake rich".

The luxury logic you describe applies in exactly the same way to this smaller car category. Same diminishing returns at a high cost.

This smaller Audi/Mercs/Bimmers have some small advantages over mainstremers like nicer interiors for example and in a few cases more refined engines as well as the "intangibles" Wimmer mentioned above.

As always, not worth it from a Carspinian "left brain" perspective but then again, what luxury is?

You described the logic very well but missed in thinking that it doesn't apply to this category of car.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

93JC

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 02, 2018, 11:00:15 PM
This smaller Audi/Mercs/Bimmers have some small advantages over mainstremers like nicer interiors for example and in a few cases more refined engines as well as the "intangibles" Wimmer mentioned above.

Except they don't. They really don't.

QuoteYou described the logic very well but missed in thinking that it doesn't apply to this category of car.

It does apply, it just doesn't bear out in reality precisely because the cars are 'okay' at best.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on April 02, 2018, 06:21:09 PM

Ironically the A-Class on which the CLA is based is slightly roomier inside.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 02, 2018, 11:00:15 PM
The luxury logic you describe applies in exactly the same way to this smaller car category. Same diminishing returns at a high cost.

As always, not worth it from a Carspinian "left brain" perspective but then again, what luxury is?

You described the logic very well but missed in thinking that it doesn't apply to this category of car.
I haven't ridden in a CLA/GLA but from what I hear they are missing all those intangibles and advantages. Maybe the Bimmer is better. It's definitely doable- the Golf, Mazda3 and to a degree even the Focus are all a good bit more upscale than something like my ghastly Sentra rental. But a luxury marque making an economy car doesn't guarantee that it will be nice. I have not read or heard one good review of the CLA.

MexicoCityM3

The current 1er has a pretty undebatable difference at least. It's RWD. This next one nobody knows.

The small Audis certainly have much nicer interiors than mainstream hatches. MINIs which also play in this category have looks, nice interiors and fun handling. These cars all sell for a reason and it's not "people being stupid".
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 03, 2018, 05:35:48 AM
I haven't ridden in a CLA/GLA but from what I hear they are missing all those intangibles and advantages. Maybe the Bimmer is better. It's definitely doable- the Golf, Mazda3 and to a degree even the Focus are all a good bit more upscale than something like my ghastly Sentra rental. But a luxury marque making an economy car doesn't guarantee that it will be nice. I have not read or heard one good review of the CLA.

There have been good reviews of the CLA. It's not my favorite Benz but I think they look pretty nice with an AMG body kit. I just don't like sitting in them because of those massive sight-robbing A-pillars, which is also the case on the A-Class and GLA and aside from the front, the rear space is pretty much off-limits to adults. Get an A-Class Hatch - more room in the back. Hell, between an A-Class, CLA and a GLA you're better off with a B-Class; more space inside and none of these fat sight-robbing A-pillars.

I think the biggest problem of the CLA is that most people criticizing it don't understand it. It's not a Mercedes along the lines of a C-Class and the models above it. It's an A-Class sedan, a "budget Benz" in that regard aimed at a generally younger target market that want something edgy and stylish and premium. In that sense the CLA delivers. And the '45 AMG model is supposedly pretty fun. It sells on other merits.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

93JC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 03, 2018, 07:56:41 AM
I think the biggest problem of the CLA is that most people criticizing it don't understand it. It's not a Mercedes along the lines of a C-Class and the models above it. It's an A-Class sedan, a "budget Benz" in that regard aimed at a generally younger target market that want something edgy and stylish and premium. In that sense the CLA delivers.

No, it doesn't. There's nothing 'premium' about it!

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 03, 2018, 07:56:41 AM
There have been good reviews of the CLA. It's not my favorite Benz but I think they look pretty nice with an AMG body kit. I just don't like sitting in them because of those massive sight-robbing A-pillars, which is also the case on the A-Class and GLA and aside from the front, the rear space is pretty much off-limits to adults. Get an A-Class Hatch - more room in the back. Hell, between an A-Class, CLA and a GLA you're better off with a B-Class; more space inside and none of these fat sight-robbing A-pillars.

I think the biggest problem of the CLA is that most people criticizing it don't understand it. It's not a Mercedes along the lines of a C-Class and the models above it. It's an A-Class sedan, a "budget Benz" in that regard aimed at a generally younger target market that want something edgy and stylish and premium. In that sense the CLA delivers. And the '45 AMG model is supposedly pretty fun. It sells on other merits.
Edgy and stylish, I guess. That's up to the individual. Premium, very debatable. Seating position, interior design, material quality... better than something like a Sentra, but premium?

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 03, 2018, 06:44:03 AM
The current 1er has a pretty undebatable difference at least. It's RWD. This next one nobody knows.

The small Audis certainly have much nicer interiors than mainstream hatches. MINIs which also play in this category have looks, nice interiors and fun handling. These cars all sell for a reason and it's not "people being stupid".
A3 interior is on the same level as top end Golfs & 3s. Actually design wise they don't look much better than the latest high spec Elantra either. Not sure where you got that stupid people buy these cars but you can read things however you want.

Laconian

Quote from: 93JC on April 03, 2018, 09:13:47 AM
No, it doesn't. There's nothing 'premium' about it!

Agreed, and the obvious cheapness totally poisons the brand cachet. The "Ooo, you got a Benz" reaction turns into "You got the cheapest Benz they sell, you fucking poseur".

RR Evoques are in the same boat.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

I haven't driven a CLA/GLA, but I kind of want to just so that I can understand why the cars are so universally panned by  everyone.