Can the Spin guess which modern BMW C&D is loving?

Started by MexicoCityM3, April 14, 2018, 09:08:25 AM

MexicoCityM3

Didn't expect this. C&D just posted a glowing review of the new 6 "Gran Turismo".

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-bmw-640i-xdrive-gran-turismo-test-review

"Not a crossover. Not a wagon. Better than either."

"It doesn't look wonderful, but otherwise it kinda, sorta is mostly wonderful. And there's nothing else quite like it."

"All that suspension tech pays off in a 0.90-g skidpad performance and almost no nose dive under braking. With a 160-foot stop from 70 mph, it brakes well, too. There's nothing about this beefy machine that screams high performance, but it performs."

"...this inline engine is spectacularly unspectacular. It's rated at a deceptively modest 335 horsepower, and thanks to all that technology and a long 94.6-millimeter piston stroke, it produces a silken ribbon of 332 lb-ft of torque between a ridiculously low 1380 and 5200 rpm.

Combine that wide torque plateau with the perfect behavior of the eight-speed automatic transmission and the result is great acceleration that occurs in near silence. The 4548-pound 640i GT's trip from zero to 60 mph takes only 4.7 seconds, and the quarter-mile is consumed in 13.4 seconds at 105 mph......Fortunately, there's so much juicy torque on hand that the car never feels anything except athletic."

"The interior is straightforward, conservative in design, sweetly detailed, and very accommodating. Not just for the people in front—the rear-seat passengers are treated royally, too. There's plenty of legroom in back; the seats are well shaped; the cushion is raised slightly, theater-style; and thanks to a generously tall greenhouse, the car feels airy and pleasant (it would be weird if it were airy but unpleasant). And the front seats are even better. Except for the goofy electronic wandlike shifter, the entire interior is well conceived. The leather quality is Hermès or better, the switches all work with precision, and the only nicer wood trim is on 17th-century French furniture."

"But even those numbers understate the 640i GT's usefulness. The rear hatch opening is huge and extends down to the bumper, and the aluminum liftgate opens without struts impeding access from the sides. The space back there isn't just generous but also flat, so things slide in easily. And it's deep enough that many bulkier items fit in without having to remove the cargo cover. Plus, the rear seats fold down to increase total cargo capacity to a vast 65 cubic feet. The 640i GT isn't a station wagon and it isn't a crossover, but it may be smarter than either of those things."
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Why get this when you can get a CR-V with VTEC and SH-AWD?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

CR-V's don't come with SH-AWD.

Also....the 5GT IMO was one of BMW's better products of the recent era. Kind of funny looking, but very comfortable

AutobahnSHO

Will

Lebowski

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 14, 2018, 09:22:48 AM

Why get this when you can get a CR-V with VTEC and SH-AWD?

Great question. You could get two standard loaded CRVs and still have ~$10k left over.

veeman

This is apparently an amazing driver.  Can't get very many sporty cars which are also whisper quiet south of 100 thousand.  Certainly not in an SUV.  This starts $13,000 more than an X5 and nicely equipped will be around $80,000 in the U.S.  It doesn't look very good though.  Price is similar to a base Panamera or base Jaguar XJ. 

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

I've not seen to many of these around Munich, but at BMW Welt a few weeks ago they had a white one with the M sport body kit and I must admit it looked pretty sweet.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie