2o6 Review: Ford Ecosport

Started by 2o6, April 18, 2018, 11:13:02 AM

2o6

I was bored, so I decided to stop and drive this thing. This one is a base "S" model, with the 1.0, and FWD.

+ the 1.0L and 3cyl work well together, even if they don't really move the car around that fast

+ the interior is roomier than the Fiesta

+ I like the base trim wheels

+ pretty decent standard features (here's looking at you Chevy Trax)

+ compact dimensions = easy to park

- this car is what Ford basically wants people to buy instead of the Fiesta. It's worse in every way.

- the 1.0L makes 40+ mpg in the Fiesta and Focus, yet here it's only rated for 29 Highway.

- considering how slow the car is, 29MPG is ass

- the car itself feels tippy, cornering too hard may actually make it turn over. In fact, it's got a rollover warning on the visor. (The Toyota C-HR Didn't!)

- it looks pretty tragic outside

- steering is worse than the Fiesta

- ford engines never reach their economy, and the 11MPG economy differential between the focus 1.0 and the Ecosport 1.0, I predict the Ecosport is gonna be shit

- it's pronounced "echo sport" gross.

- the interior room itself is mediocre at best

- susceptible to crosswinds

- This car is around $4000 more than an similar Fiesta. (About 1k more than a Focus)

- But in typical ford fashion, it won't transact for retail price

- the ride was stiff and jittery

Laconian

Oh dear. One liter is just not enough engine for a car like this.

It's only for tiny cars and skirting displacement taxes.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

I really super wonder how expensive the Turbos are going to cost to replace on these things. About 10yrs they're going to need some work.
Will

shp4man

Have we ever had a vehicle made in India marketed here before?
I can think of one motorcycle, that's about it.

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on April 18, 2018, 11:24:29 AM
Oh dear. One liter is just not enough engine for a car like this.

It's only for tiny cars and skirting displacement taxes.

???

It's as fast as the 1.4T in the Trax.

It's *fine*. It just should do better.

2o6

Also, didn't your MIL have a Renault Captur with the 900cc TCE? This car is exactly the same size. And it has like 30HP more and like 50 ft lbs of torque more.

giant_mtb

Echo sport?  Have I been pronouncing "ecoboost" wrong all along? :confused:

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on April 18, 2018, 11:13:02 AM
- it's pronounced "echo sport" gross.

:confused:

Fuuuuuuuuck that. Probably coming from the same goofs who said "SHO" is pronounced "show"; no, no, it's ess-aitch-oh, and anything else is categorically wrong.

12,000 RPM

This is real third world shit. Somehow I feel they could have made a better crossover out of the Fiesta, this is just unacceptable.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

veeman

This car seems to not have anything really that appealing other than really small dimensions.  It looks OK.  I'd take a Kia Soul, Mazda CX3, or Subaru Crosstrek over it. 

Using fueleconomy.gov and 15,000 miles a year/45% highway and 55% city driving: the annual fuel cost difference between the EcoSport and Fiesta is $150.

r0tor

Killing the fiesta and replacing it with something worse but with a better profit margin... Beancounters are back in charge of Ford
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Quote from: veeman on April 18, 2018, 05:59:45 PM
This car seems to not have anything really that appealing other than really small dimensions.  It looks OK.  I'd take a Kia Soul, Mazda CX3, or Subaru Crosstrek over it. 

Using fueleconomy.gov and 15,000 miles a year/45% highway and 55% city driving: the annual fuel cost difference between the EcoSport and Fiesta is $150.

SFE to Ecoboost FWD, it's more like $450. Also, real world I drive more freeway miles, and real world the Ecosport will be worse real world.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on April 18, 2018, 11:13:02 AM

+ the interior is roomier than the Fiesta

- this car is what Ford basically wants people to buy instead of the Fiesta. It's worse in every way.

Roomier is good!

2o6

I will say that the pricing is aggressive, and Ford has strong incentives.

A FWD SES with SYNC, moonroof, push-to-start, heated seats and other goodies were only $2500 more than the basic S model. I could have gotten that one with low APR, and all the goodies for like $23k, before any sort of negotiating.

However, if you INSIST on getting a tall FWD SUV type thing, a Kia Soul 1.6 is a better value. And a better car.

MrH

What a miserable looking car.

That reminds me.  I saw a Spark Active the other day.  Turrrrible looking car
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on April 18, 2018, 07:27:11 PM
What a miserable looking car.

That reminds me.  I saw a Spark Active the other day.  Turrrrible looking car

I like the Spark Active!

93JC

*googles "Spark Active"*

Oh, okay. No wonder I've never heard of this: "No Chevrolet Spark Activ for Canada"

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on April 18, 2018, 06:04:04 PM
Killing the fiesta and replacing it with something worse but with a better profit margin... Beancounters are back in charge of Ford
What's the alternative? Fiesta retail sales are in freefall; a redesign on a low margin low volume subcompact is pointless. This is bad but sadly people will buy it.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 18, 2018, 08:17:49 PM
What's the alternative? Fiesta retail sales are in freefall; a redesign on a low margin low volume subcompact is pointless. This is bad but sadly people will buy it.

1. The Fiesta has already been redesigned, and is on sale for like a year now.

2. Will it sell? The Fiesta is still selling about 50K units a year. Will this do that? Who knows.

Rich

The more time goes on the closer we get to Idiocracy. This looks like one of the car/pods
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on April 18, 2018, 06:36:13 PM

SFE to Ecoboost FWD, it's more like $450. Also, real world I drive more freeway miles, and real world the Ecosport will be worse real world.

What is "S"FE?  Anyways I put in on fueleconomy.gov a FWD EcoSport compared with Fiesta using 15,000 miles/year and 85% highway driving and got a difference of $250 per year.  It's a significant difference but not a huge difference. 

Anyways your observations about the car seem spot on. 

2o6

Quote from: veeman on April 18, 2018, 11:31:48 PM
What is "S"FE?  Anyways I put in on fueleconomy.gov a FWD EcoSport compared with Fiesta using 15,000 miles/year and 85% highway driving and got a difference of $250 per year.  It's a significant difference but not a huge difference. 

Anyways your observations about the car seem spot on.

The SFE has the 1.0

The regular is a 1.6

MrH

Quote from: Rich on April 18, 2018, 10:46:46 PM
The more time goes on the closer we get to idiicracy. This looks like one of the car/pods

:lol: Spot on
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

Those headlights are almost bigger than the wheels.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

Xer0

Isnt the Ecosport something like 5 model years old at this point too?  Hopefully Ford has figured out all of this car's issues in time for the new one.

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on April 19, 2018, 10:39:06 AM
Isnt the Ecosport something like 5 model years old at this point too?  Hopefully Ford has figured out all of this car's issues in time for the new one.

This is like it's 3rd facelift.