Audi Q8

Started by 12,000 RPM, June 05, 2018, 08:45:08 AM

Galaxy

Quote from: veeman on June 05, 2018, 10:28:29 PM
As an expensive two row coupe like styled SUV, it's not going to sell in high numbers compared with the Q5 and Q7. 

It will have a much higher margin then the Q5, and Q7 though. Same reason BMW sells the X6.

veeman

Quote from: Galaxy on June 05, 2018, 10:55:46 PM
It will have a much higher margin then the Q5, and Q7 though. Same reason BMW sells the X6.

Yeah for sure.  I kinda like it, this Audi.

The Mercedes AMG GLE coupe thing looks super badass.  I love it.

12,000 RPM

Yea the Benz SUV coupes are cool. BMWs a little less so. This a lot less so.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

I'll admit the GLE looks pretty cool. But it's not a coupe
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Xer0

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 06, 2018, 10:52:18 PM
I'll admit the GLE looks pretty cool. But it's not a coupe

Its a German coupe, where names don't mean anything and number of doors don't mater.

12,000 RPM

Coupe does not necessarily mean 2 door. Here's how ISO defines "coupe" (which is about as official of a definition as one can get)

In 1977, International Standard ISO 3833-1977 defined a coupé as having a closed body, usually with limited rear volume, a fixed roof of which a portion may be openable, at least two seats in at least one row, two side doors and possibly a rear opening, and at least two side windows.[25][26]

X6 etc sound pretty coupey to me

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 07, 2018, 12:20:04 PM
Coupe does not necessarily mean 2 door. Here's how ISO defines "coupe" (which is about as official of a definition as one can get)

In 1977, International Standard ISO 3833-1977 defined a coupé as having a closed body, usually with limited rear volume, a fixed roof of which a portion may be openable, at least two seats in at least one row, two side doors and possibly a rear opening, and at least two side windows.[25][26]

:hmm:

So you don't think the second row of doors count as side doors?

To me a "rear opening" is a trunk or hatch. I would consider all four of my doors to be side doors.

Xer0

Your definition kinda sounds like it necessarily means 2 doors lol.

Raza

Two side doors.

X6 has four.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 06, 2018, 07:21:23 PM
Yea the Benz SUV coupes are cool. BMWs a little less so. This a lot less so.

....The GLE looks like ass in person. There's no glasshouse, and the proportions are fucked. Out of these SUV Coupes, (X6, GLE, Q8), the GLE is by far the worst.

Aside from an awkward front fascia, I am having a hard time seeing the "ugly" factor of this. It's got good proportions, and it looks smaller than it really is.

veeman

Quote from: 2o6 on June 08, 2018, 12:56:27 AM

....The GLE looks like ass in person. There's no glasshouse, and the proportions are fucked. Out of these SUV Coupes, (X6, GLE, Q8), the GLE is by far the worst.

Aside from an awkward front fascia, I am having a hard time seeing the "ugly" factor of this. It's got good proportions, and it looks smaller than it really is.

I gotta disagree with you sir. 

https://goo.gl/images/que7sM

I've seen a bunch on the road.  Almost always in silver or grey.  Especially from the rear, this beast is beautiful.  Brawny and sporty, especially in AMG guise with the big fat tires.  Among non-exotics this is my current favorite styled car.  30 years ago it was the BMW 7 series (E32).

Galaxy

The only one of these SUV "coupés" which look good imo is this one:

Of course one has to turn on the cash register just a tad more here.

12,000 RPM

Wow, amazing what a difference ~$50 in paint makes:

veeman

It's kind of the same color as the one referenced in the original post though?

Whatever, this last picture makes it look very good.  Q5 room for Q7 price.

Submariner

Quote from: veeman on June 08, 2018, 12:34:29 PM
It's kind of the same color as the one referenced in the original post though?

Whatever, this last picture makes it look very good.  Q5 room for Q7 price.

I think he is referring to the gray fenders/sills.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

12,000 RPM

I was talking about the nose

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 08, 2018, 12:14:10 PM

Looks A LOT better.

Although, is that photoshop to scale?  Cause if so the car is tiny.

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 08, 2018, 12:14:10 PM

Yeah that looks a lot better.

TBR

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 05, 2018, 01:54:38 PM
It's Audi's version of the X6. A smaller, less practical, more "stylish" Q7. Similar to the A4:A5 or A6:A7.
If this is their idea of breaking out Audi needs to reinforce the cages and build higher + thicker walls.

It's like they took the nose of a half ton pickup truck and grafted it onto a Q5. My eyes are itching.

Well... neither the A5 nor the A7 are smaller than their sedan counterparts and both are markedly more practical (albeit not more practical than the estate).

Raza

Quote from: veeman on June 08, 2018, 02:41:14 AM
I gotta disagree with you sir. 

https://goo.gl/images/que7sM

I've seen a bunch on the road.  Almost always in silver or grey.  Especially from the rear, this beast is beautiful.  Brawny and sporty, especially in AMG guise with the big fat tires.  Among non-exotics this is my current favorite styled car.  30 years ago it was the BMW 7 series (E32).

No. He's right. GLE looks terrible.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Xer0 on June 08, 2018, 12:45:38 PM
Looks A LOT better.

Although, is that photoshop to scale?  Cause if so the car is tiny.

The model is 6'8".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on June 09, 2018, 08:01:42 AM
No. He's right. GLE looks terrible.

I drool a little when I see them.  It's speed, agility, grip, and braking are all sports car like yet it looks tank like in its imposing width, height, and stance but it has a smaller footprint than Tahoes and the like.  Backseat is roomy.  The glasshouse is small but I don't mind it here. Also it's grill is simple relative to excess of recent Audis and Lexuses. Polarizing for sure.

When the BMW X5 first came out I drooled a little about them as well even though initially most automags said (what's the point of this again...an expensive SUV that's not designed for off-road use?)

veeman

If Cadillac had any foresight, they would have come up with one of these coupy sporty SUV things years ago.  The Escalade brand has so much potential.  All these Cayenne, GLE, X6, and now Q8 buyers... they want sports car looks and pseudodynamics in a tank like vault of of a giant.

giant_mtb

The GLE looks like an overstuffed toy car.  It does look good from certain angles, but not all.  Never seen one in person though.

93JC

All of these SUVish pseudo-'coupés' are silly. Every single one of them.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on June 09, 2018, 12:53:43 PM

They're kinda fun to drive tho

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 93JC on June 09, 2018, 12:53:43 PM
WORD!!!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on June 09, 2018, 12:25:19 PM
If Cadillac had any foresight, they would have come up with one of these coupy sporty SUV things years ago.  The Escalade brand has so much potential.  All these Cayenne, GLE, X6, and now Q8 buyers... they want sports car looks and pseudodynamics in a tank like vault of of a giant.
Pseudodynamics is a good word.

The GLEs are for people who don't feel the need to take cars so seriously. I saw one with the V8 and an exhaust in Portland. Utterly ridiculous in a good way.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD