Who Will Be the Next To Get a Ticket?

Started by dazzleman, March 25, 2006, 05:28:01 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

RIGHT!!!!! I've been ticket free for the past couple years! Must be the calm before the storm.........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on February 11, 2018, 09:59:18 AM
RIGHT!!!!! I've been ticket free for the past couple years! Must be the calm before the storm.........

You need to step up.your game, man!  Me too.  I'm coming up in 5 years without a ticket.  It's getting embarrassing.  :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

CaminoRacer

I went on a toll road in LA that doesn't allow for cash/card payments - you either have a FastPass or have to pay online. I forgot to pay online, and it took a whole 2 months to get a bill in the mail.

What a ridiculous system, especially for people like me who are from out of town. I would have gladly paid in cash at a toll booth.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

https://www.reddit.com/r/orangecounty/comments/4cfzvn/thetollroadscom_what_a_disgrace_1262_turns_into/

Interesting. The roads should have been toll-free since 2015, but the company has refinanced a bunch and still owes money for their construction.

Hooray incompetency!

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 21, 2018, 12:56:22 PM
I went on a toll road in LA that doesn't allow for cash/card payments - you either have a FastPass or have to pay online. I forgot to pay online, and it took a whole 2 months to get a bill in the mail.

What a ridiculous system, especially for people like me who are from out of town. I would have gladly paid in cash at a toll booth.

Massachusetts has a system on the Massachusetts Turnpike that either scans your EZPass or takes a picture of your license plate and sends a bill.  It only takes a couple of weeks for the bill to be sent.  There are no more toll booths.  I don't have an EZPass so I get a bill.

A few years ago, I missed my exit and did an illegal u-turn in front of one of the (former) toll booths.  I got caught on camera and got a ticket in the mail a few weeks later.  That required paying a fine, rather than a fee for the tolls.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 21, 2018, 01:00:36 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/orangecounty/comments/4cfzvn/thetollroadscom_what_a_disgrace_1262_turns_into/

Interesting. The roads should have been toll-free since 2015, but the company has refinanced a bunch and still owes money for their construction.

Hooray incompetency!

That's inevitable with any "temporary" tax or fee.  They always find a way to make it permanent.

Morris Minor

Quote from: dazzleman on July 21, 2018, 03:35:52 PM
That's inevitable with any "temporary" tax or fee.  They always find a way to make it permanent.
Georgia's first toll road was GA-400. The tolls were to pay for the construction costs of a new section of the road, with the promise that the tollbooths were temporary and would come down when the bonds were paid off.

Well the bonds were paid off but by the state decided to break the promise and the tolls remained. Finally we got a new governor who decided to end it. He ceremonially personally collected the last toll from the same couple that had paid the first toll 20 years earlier.

Now Georgia is rolling out dedicated toll express lanes on several roads.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

FoMoJo

I got a parking ticket today.  Does that count?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 28, 2018, 06:46:25 PM

Lame!!  You can do.better than that.  :devil:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: dazzleman on July 28, 2018, 08:37:50 PM
Lame!!  You can do.better than that.  :devil:

By not paying it and getting the government after him, then going on a wild police chase?

Yes

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 28, 2018, 09:15:44 PM
By not paying it and getting the government after him, then going on a wild police chase?

Yes
The threat is that if it's not paid in 15 days, driver's license will not be renewed.  The car's in my wife's name, so I'm considering not paying it :mask:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 28, 2018, 09:15:44 PM

Yes

That would give Dave some real street cred.... :lol:

93JC

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 28, 2018, 06:46:25 PM

Pfff, I got one Friday. In the middle of frickin' nowhere too: the University of Calgary's Spy Hill Campus. Spy Hill is waaaay out on the northwest edge of the city. The UofC's campus up there hosts the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and the High-Density (archival) Library. There's really not much of note up there.

To the east is "the Spy Hill Jail", actually two separate facilities: the Remand Centre and the Correctional Centre (minimum-medium security prison). To the north is a gravel quarry. To the west is a petting zoo and a brand new recreation centre (that yours truly did a wee bit of work on...). To the south is the province's "forensic psychiatry centre", where they send people accused of crimes who plead insanity to be evaluated.

There's is no reason for aaaaaaanyone to be all the way out there except because they need to be, and there are a shit-ton more parking stalls in the parking lots than there are people who have reason to be there. And despite this the cost of parking is $4/4hr. Not much in the grand scheme of things (it's $4.25 an hour by my office downtown...). I figure "Whatever, I'm here for work reasons, I'm just going to expense the parking anyway." The machine at the Clinical Services Building is broken. I walk allll the way across the other side of the parking lot to go buy a ticket from the machine there.

I get back to my car, and I've got a god-damned parking ticket on the windshield. :facepalm:

dazzleman

Quote from: 93JC on July 29, 2018, 08:24:46 PM
Pfff, I got one Friday. In the middle of frickin' nowhere too: the University of Calgary's Spy Hill Campus. Spy Hill is waaaay out on the northwest edge of the city. The UofC's campus up there hosts the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and the High-Density (archival) Library. There's really not much of note up there.

To the east is "the Spy Hill Jail", actually two separate facilities: the Remand Centre and the Correctional Centre (minimum-medium security prison). To the north is a gravel quarry. To the west is a petting zoo and a brand new recreation centre (that yours truly did a wee bit of work on...). To the south is the province's "forensic psychiatry centre", where they send people accused of crimes who plead insanity to be evaluated.

There's is no reason for aaaaaaanyone to be all the way out there except because they need to be, and there are a shit-ton more parking stalls in the parking lots than there are people who have reason to be there. And despite this the cost of parking is $4/4hr. Not much in the grand scheme of things (it's $4.25 an hour by my office downtown...). I figure "Whatever, I'm here for work reasons, I'm just going to expense the parking anyway." The machine at the Clinical Services Building is broken. I walk allll the way across the other side of the parking lot to go buy a ticket from the machine there.

I get back to my car, and I've got a god-damned parking ticket on the windshield. :facepalm:

Parking tickets are just annoying, and there's no fun in getting them.  I'd much rather get a speeding ticket that was preceded by some fun driving.  At least then you can feel that the ticket was worth it.

93JC

I wouldn't have been so annoyed if not for how remote the place was and how few people were there. One of those situations where it's really, really difficult to empathize with the meter maid who wrote the ticket, where it's very hard to not think "Don't you have anything better to do?"

I have another meeting there today, at the top of the hour. Wish me luck. :lol:

CaminoRacer

Fight it and tell them to fix the machine

93JC

Oh I already had the ticket quashed. The drive back to the office led me right past the University's Parking Services office at the football stadium, so I popped in there to deal with it right away. I explained the situation and they expunged it right then and there.

No ticket today! :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: 93JC on August 02, 2018, 03:32:39 PM
Oh I already had the ticket quashed. The drive back to the office led me right past the University's Parking Services office at the football stadium, so I popped in there to deal with it right away. I explained the situation and they expunged it right then and there.

:ohyeah:  Nice.  That was not a ticket that you could frame and hang on your mantle.

giant_mtb

Move to a town that doesn't have paid parking. :rockon:

jk, that just means nobody wants to be there anyways. 😉

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 03, 2018, 09:07:13 AM
Move to a town that doesn't have paid parking. :rockon:

jk, that just means nobody wants to be there anyways. 😉

My town doesn't have paid parking and it's pretty popular.  I managed to get s ticket anyway once because I parked some place where a permit was required.

dazzleman

I have a good memory for dates, and when I saw the date today, it popped into my head that it was 31 years ago today that I managed to get nailed twice within 10 minutes for speeding.  That was a fun day.... :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: 93JC on August 02, 2018, 03:32:39 PM

https://youtu.be/Tw5d8GwEC2s
Spoofing a UK TV show for kids
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

93JC

I remember Postman Pat (Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his black and white cat...)

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 04, 2018, 07:38:39 PM
https://youtu.be/Tw5d8GwEC2s
Spoofing a UK TV show for kids

That carries a message on so many levels, well beyond the mundane world of parking enforcement.

Klackamas

This guy should get a ticket.... I love the statement...it sounds like someone was "coached" on how to properly phrase and include everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E39dVmh7f1M
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

dazzleman

Quote from: Klackamas on August 14, 2018, 08:36:32 PM
This guy should get a ticket.... I love the statement...it sounds like someone was "coached" on how to properly phrase and include everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E39dVmh7f1M

That reminds me of the 1985 movie "Moving Violations" when a half blind old lady drove her car onto the airport runway and thought the plane was a bus.  It was pretty funny.

CaminoRacer

I got a ticket for an expired license plate tag today. The registration is up to date but the sticker got lost in the mail for 2 whole months. Literally the same day I got a ticket, the sticker was returned to my parent's house by the post office.

I submitted a dispute on the ticket and told them that, we'll see what happens. I doubt they'll waive the fine ($30) but it was worth a shot.

dazzleman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 01, 2018, 06:33:54 PM
I got a ticket for an expired license plate tag today. The registration is up to date but the sticker got lost in the mail for 2 whole months. Literally the same day I got a ticket, the sticker was returned to my parent's house by the post office.

I submitted a dispute on the ticket and told them that, we'll see what happens. I doubt they'll waive the fine ($30) but it was worth a shot.

Were you pulled over and given the ticket, or was it placed on your windshield when the car was parked?

CaminoRacer

Parked outside my apartment. Total bullshit, cop had to stare at the tiny sticker to see it. It's an out of state plate and the color is the same every year