Driven Today!!!

Started by TheIntrepid, September 20, 2007, 01:43:23 PM

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on September 23, 2007, 12:01:35 PM
We're not wealthy, we're not poor, we're well off.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

And when you try and pass off knowing something about something you clearly have NO idea about, it makes you look both arrogant AND ignorant. ;)

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CJ

That's what traction control systems are designed to do.  Apply the brakes to help you regain traction.  It's common sense.

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on September 23, 2007, 11:49:44 AM
Obviously I have not messed with cars that have stability control much.  Are you saying that it's impossible to do parking lot donuts in an LS?

Yeah, for example it's snowy and icey out. You turn onto a sidestreet and floor it. It will cut the throttle and apply the brakes. You may get the car slide a little bit. You can keep the peddle to the floor and it will only allow you to accelerate when there's enough traction to do so without spinning.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Eye of the Tiger

I once had this little red wagon, and I'll be dammed if it wasn't fun to drive! Even though it did handle worse than your average shopping cart, and left red stains all over my right leg after I was done "driving" it. I could beat some scooters on downhill runs!

:rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

I do sense some arrogance in the inflection over the internets.  I've sat in a few Ferraris, grazed a few cars worth more than anyone's house on this forum, and humped a BMW M1 (just kidding about the humping...or am I?).

This is a car forum, kids (I can say that because I'm older than both of you).  Treat it as such.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on September 23, 2007, 12:07:33 PM
I do sense some arrogance in the inflection over the internets.  I've sat in a few Ferraris, grazed a few cars worth more than anyone's house on this forum, and humped a BMW M1 (just kidding about the humping...or am I?).

This is a car forum, kids (I can say that because I'm older than both of you).  Treat it as such.

There is absolutely no shame in humping a BMW M1.  Don't just admit it, be proud of it!

:lol:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 12:07:18 PM
Yeah, for example it's snowy and icey out. You turn onto a sidestreet and floor it. It will cut the throttle and apply the brakes. You may get the car slide a little bit. You can keep the peddle to the floor and it will only allow you to accelerate when there's enough traction to do so without spinning.

I knew there was a reason I liked winter driving in my car versus something newer.

I would say that winter is usually when I drive like Colin McCrae, but I'm going to switch that to Tomi Mackinen now.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CJ

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on September 23, 2007, 12:10:09 PM
I knew there was a reason I liked winter driving in my car versus something newer.

I would say that winter is usually when I drive like Colin McCrae, but I'm going to switch that to Tomi Mackinen now.

I love driving in the snow, especialy with my Z. You can turn off it's stability and tracton control and keep it sideways when and wherever you want.

SaltyDog

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 11:33:08 AM
Do you honestly think an LS430 is a fun car to drive? Have you driven one or its competitors to know? By your line of thinking a Camry can be more fun to drive than an Elise.

A car can be fun even if there are cars out there that are more fun.  I can have fun in ANY car given the opportunity.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Submariner

Quote from: the Teuton on September 23, 2007, 12:07:33 PM

My house is 200000 square feet and made of solid gold.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

JYODER240

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 23, 2007, 02:11:28 PM
A car can be fun even if there are cars out there that are more fun.  I can have fun in ANY car given the opportunity.

You must be easily amused.

the Teuton

Quote from: Submariner on September 23, 2007, 02:35:57 PM
My house is 200000 square feet and made of solid gold.

You might have a shot at being allowed to use arrogance, but I'm not completely satisfied.  Have you ever humped a BMW M1?

SaltyDog

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 02:46:49 PM
You must be easily amused.

There were car enthusiasts back in the 50s and 60s, even though sports cars of that generation would get owned on a track by today's mainstream cars.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SaltyDog on September 23, 2007, 03:07:55 PM
There were car enthusiasts back in the 50s and 60s, even though sports cars of that generation would get owned on a track by today's mainstream cars.

But those cars didn't have near the level of isolation as any car does  today. While large accelerative forces are usually part of the fun equation, it's the entire experience that must be considered while one is bench racing.
Liken it to the difference between driving with one eye open, or both eyes open. With one eye, you can clearly see what is going on, even though you have no depth perception. But with two eyes, you get the full sensory experience.
Is it really much fun when you're going when you're doing 500mph in a 727? I don't think so. Fascinating as it may be, it does not get the adrenaline flowing. What about 35mph in a go-kart? Oh hell yes. Dammit.

Raghavan

Raza

Quote from: CJ on September 23, 2007, 12:06:25 PM
That's what traction control systems are designed to do.  Apply the brakes to help you regain traction.  It's common sense.

That's incorrect.  A pure traction control system only cuts gas.  Stability programs apply brakes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on September 23, 2007, 11:17:07 AM

Sure you can. 

Lexus LS430, Cadillac DTS, Lincoln Town Car: (I'm sure they get cross shopped fairly frequently).  Which would be the most fun to drive?

Lexus LS430, Toyota Prius, Chevy Cobalt, Acura RL:  Same question as above.

I've driven an LS400 and found it quite fun, moreso than any car I've owned sans the Protege and possibly the Civic.  Obviously, an LS430 not going to hold a candle to a 350Z but using your assertion of comparing it to cars in general; it becomes rather easy to find cars that do indeed render the LS430 fun to drive.

Alas, we will be getting into semantics shortly, and I don't care enough to continue. 

DTS

Cobalt

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on September 23, 2007, 04:39:17 PM
That's incorrect.  A pure traction control system only cuts gas.  Stability programs apply brakes.

These days, they are one in the same.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on September 23, 2007, 04:46:26 PM
These days, they are one in the same.

Just because most cars package both doesn't make them the same thing.  The old IS300 stickshift had traction control (which only works on drive wheels) but not ESP (which works on all wheels), whereas the automatic had both.  The Pontiac GTO had only TCS, and not ESP.  My Passat had ESP optional, but is only equipped with TCS.

(And it's "one and the same"...sorry for being a douchebag about it)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on September 23, 2007, 04:54:10 PM
Just because most cars package both doesn't make them the same thing.  The old IS300 stickshift had traction control (which only works on drive wheels) but not ESP (which works on all wheels), whereas the automatic had both.  The Pontiac GTO had only TCS, and not ESP.  My Passat had ESP optional, but is only equipped with TCS.

Are there any current models that have a traction control system that does not apply the brake on the slipping wheel? It only makes sense, if the technology is already in the car. Brake the slipping wheel, and torque goes to the other side of any open differential.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on September 23, 2007, 04:56:09 PM
Are there any current models that have a traction control system that does not apply the brake on the slipping wheel? It only makes sense, if the technology is already in the car. Brake the slipping wheel, and torque goes to the other side of any open differential.

There has to be; I can't think of any off the top of my head, though.  I think ESP may be optional on the GTI, though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

Not sure exactly what you are asking but the GTI I believe uses the brakes on the wheel that is slipping.

The Saab TCS just cuts engine power.

TBR

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 23, 2007, 11:54:55 AM
When have YOU been in an LS?!

Also, you're one to talk about how "boring" these cars are. Didn't you want a Park Avenue?

First of all, you come off as a spoiled little child in that post (an impression left in most of your posts, perhaps there is a reason for it).

Second, I don't see where he said anything about the LS being boring. All he did is comment about how stability control works.

Grow up and quit being a fan boy.

Jordan is right, ignore his opinion if you want, but I have NEVER seen ANY magazine comment positively on the LS430's attitude in high performance driving.

TBR

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 23, 2007, 12:04:41 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

And when you try and pass off knowing something about something you clearly have NO idea about, it makes you look both arrogant AND ignorant. ;)

Tepid made a rhyme, how cute.

JYODER240

Ok guys clearly I was wrong the LS is fun to drive. In fact every car is fun to drive. Camry's, Town Car's, Taurus's, and even a Prius :rolleyes:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 08:20:17 PM
Ok guys clearly I was wrong the LS is fun to drive. In fact every car is fun to drive. Camry's, Town Car's, Taurus's, and even a Prius :rolleyes:

:lol:

TheIntrepid

1995 Civic Coupe Automatic with 206k on it.

Eye of the Tiger

This is what I want to say:

OMG CIVICS ARE T3H SUCK BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GIANT BOATS WITH COUCHES INSIDE THAT WALLOW DOWN THE STREET WITH THE EXCESS POWER THAT I NEEDZ TO MAKE UP FOR MY LACK OF DRIVING SKILLZ. NO, INSTEAD THEY ARE LIGHT AND EFFICIENT AND YOU CAN ACTUALLY FEEL THE ROAD AND THAT IS BAD AND ONLY FOR POOR PEOPLE WITH NO CLASS.

but I won't say that.

TheIntrepid

It didn't have power steering. I thought that was really odd.