Speed Double (aka The Cockroach)

Started by 12,000 RPM, May 17, 2016, 08:07:22 PM

12,000 RPM

OMG proper throttle calibration is God. Bike feels so much more planted and stable now, especially with the new shock. Maybe I can hike up the ass end some more.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Front end choppiness is starting to bother me. I think the spring rate is OK, but the quality of the damping sucks. Every path forward seems like a big PITA though. Upgrading the emulators is the cheapest way, but I don't know that it would make enough of a difference. Next step up would be Traxxion's compression/rebound valves or thier AK20 cartridges.... but for that money, I could just get a ZX6R/10R front end. Though the front ends will be PITAs because I'd need a dirt bar conversion and new springs. I think for now I'm just gonna play with the fork oil and maybe replace + adjust the emulators.

giant_mtb

Seems like quite the rabbit hole. Mod that, this changes. So you mod this, but now that feels different. Just ride the thing.  Conquer the beast before the beast conquers your wallet. Not that mods don't/can't help (obviously there are valuable changes to make), but it's an expensive game.

https://youtu.be/oM1S5OGO5Rc

12,000 RPM

I mostly do, but I get OCD about those kinds of details. I will probably just leave it.

giant_mtb

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 02, 2017, 09:56:17 AM
Seems like quite the rabbit hole. Mod that, this changes. So you mod this, but now that feels different. Just ride the thing.  Conquer the beast before the beast conquers your wallet. Not that mods don't/can't help (obviously there are valuable changes to make), but it's an expensive game.

https://youtu.be/oM1S5OGO5Rc

Ha, reminds me of this kid who qualified for and ran competitively in the B class at the Loretta Lynn Amateur MX Nationals on a 1985 CR250 a couple of years ago.  He actually won the 250B 2-Stroke class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3pOQW_7VMQ
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

80% rider, 20% bike, no'm'sayin.

12,000 RPM

Got to the bottom of my intermittent headlight issues... frayed + shorted HID cable. With 23kV supposedly across the leads.... NOT GOOD. Reinstalled a new one at a better angle with more clearance.

12,000 RPM

I was mulling over selling the bike and just doing the track day thing but I do miss riding. 1-2 days a week isn't enough and I can get home early enough from work to ride, come home and get baby girl from day care. A Street Triple just isn't in the cards right now though, so I said fuck it... let's make a project of it

Went a little ape shit on Ebay....

^^^03 636 forks. Going to rebuild + refill with clean oil and throw some ZX14 brakes on.

^^^Bar end mirrors.

^^^Racetech sprung/valved Yamaha R1 shock.

Ebay 09+ rearsets. Had to get some steel stock and do some sorcery to get it all bolted securely. Frame part #'s are the same but either these things are way off with tolerances or the mounting points are different.

This winter I would like to punch the motor out to 700ccs and get some cams. I'll see how the budget looks. I'd like to do a track day on it... just need to get a damn ride down. Renting a truck and all that is a nightmare. Should be fun

SVT_Power

You you can just go out and buy a used 636 right?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 28, 2018, 02:45:22 PM
If a used Street Triple isn't in the cards, what makes you think a 636 would be? Not to mention for a bike ridden primarily on the street, 636 is awful. Bad ergos, no torque, track gearing. Very stupid suggestion.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 28, 2018, 04:41:33 PM
If a used Street Triple isn't in the cards, what makes you think a 636 would be? Not to mention for a bike ridden primarily on the street, 636 is awful. Bad ergos, no torque, track gearing. Very stupid suggestion.

And throwing $$$ and parts onto a relatively old and worthless bike/car isn't a very stupid idea right?  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 28, 2018, 05:34:22 PM
And throwing $$$ and parts onto a relatively old and worthless bike/car isn't a very stupid idea right?  :huh:
A 636 is at least as old as my bike, and I'd have to throw parts at it after buying it to get it how I want. So no, at worst my idea isn't anywhere near as stupid as yours.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

SVT_Power

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 28, 2018, 05:57:58 PM
A 636 is at least as old as my bike, and I'd have to throw parts at it after buying it to get it how I want. So no, at worst my idea isn't anywhere near as stupid as yours.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

My idea of buying a bike that's designed to do what you're trying to get yours to emulate is more stupid? Dude did you move to Ohio and start smoking crack or something?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 28, 2018, 06:10:53 PM
My idea of buying a bike that's designed to do what you're trying to get yours to emulate is more stupid? Dude did you move to Ohio and start smoking crack or something?
What do you think I am trying to get my bike to do exactly?

giant_mtb

Hard to say. Stop spending money and ride the damn thing. ffs.

12,000 RPM

I will once it's done. I haven't ridden since the #TrackDay

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 28, 2018, 02:45:22 PM
I know of a well kept 750 Gixxer he could get for cheap and it wouldn't need half the work as the roach! LOL!!!

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT_Power

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on April 29, 2018, 01:12:47 AM
I know of a well kept 750 Gixxer he could get for cheap and it wouldn't need half the work as the roach! LOL!!!

What are you stupid?

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 28, 2018, 08:03:35 PM
I will once it's done. I haven't ridden since the #TrackDay

Dude I live in the UP and I've ridden more than you since your "track day."  You're way too focused on treating your bike like it's a video game. Throw a bunch of parts at it and it'll make me fast, rite?  lol

SVT_Power

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 29, 2018, 09:26:29 AM
Dude I live in the UP and I've ridden more than you since your "track day."  You're way too focused on treating your bike like it's a video game. Throw a bunch of parts at it and it'll make me fast, rite?  lol

What are you stupid?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 29, 2018, 09:01:35 AM
What are you stupid?

:lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 29, 2018, 09:27:03 AM
What are you stupid?

It's funny because he speaks about it all the time. :huh:

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 28, 2018, 04:41:33 PM

I've seen a guy put a 636 drive train in a 4 wheeler. He never complained about ergos, torque, or track gearing.  It ripped and he knew how to ride.  Hilarious that the guy who says he wants to ride the track lists "track gearing" as a complaint. :nutty:

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Let it all out guys. This feels like it's been brewing for some time.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 29, 2018, 12:08:45 PM
Let it all out guys. This feels like it's been brewing for some time.

Winners, prove me right. Losers, prove me wrong. - Robert California

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 29, 2018, 09:26:29 AM
Lol. Actually, I was focused on my pregnant wife and newborn child. I only ride on the street on my commute. And please post where I said this was a track build or that I got these parts to drop my lap times. I don't even know my lap times lmao.

giant I did not take you for the butthurt emotional type. I'm honestly surprised. Where is this coming from?

giant_mtb

I dunno. I'm kinda hung over and crabby today. :facepalm:

12,000 RPM

The energy was off. Didn't fit your pattern. See why I don't like drinking? Anyway let me enjoy my nonsense :lol: