EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on May 06, 2021, 07:10:40 AM
Every review I've seen has basically been "wow, Ford actually put in the effort to make a Tesla competitor instead of half-assing it to satisfy emissions regs and this is really good".
Considering that Mustang is now their sole "car" division, they likely have a lot of design expertise available from the now defunct other models.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Or maybe a lot of pent-up ideas from designers who have been relegated to working in two-box SUV hell for years.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 06, 2021, 11:00:45 AM
Considering that Mustang is now their sole "car" division, they likely have a lot of design expertise available from the now defunct other models.

They still sell cars in other markets.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on May 06, 2021, 07:10:40 AM
Every review I've seen has basically been "wow, Ford actually put in the effort to make a Tesla competitor instead of half-assing it to satisfy emissions regs and this is really good".

This makes me happy! My family was a Ford family and I still have a sweet spot for them.
Will

AutobahnSHO

I've honestly wanted a Volt for a while now.
We have Miata for fun and commuting. But when it's rainy I take Impreza. We have Odyssey for family duty and bigger stuff hauling. Wife likes to drive it more than Impreza though. :facepalm: (She bought it new and was resistant to first minivan.)

This week had me a tiny bit worried about gas issues going on longer- and I've thought often about the fact that my 40mile commute could be easily done by an EV or hybrid, and we have garage for charging. I don't know why I like the volt more than so many other hybrids (I love the "use it as an emergency generator mod" people have done).

But we just don't "need" to spend around $15k now to swap out Impreza for one.

BTW the android auto is working MUCH MUCH better now! Hasn't disconnected in a couple weeks. I guess I'll order a trailer hitch for Impreza so I can turn it into bike hauler....... (maybe next year we'll turn it into kayak hauler, too?)   
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 15, 2021, 07:14:04 PM
I've honestly wanted a Volt for a while now.
We have Miata for fun and commuting. But when it's rainy I take Impreza. We have Odyssey for family duty and bigger stuff hauling. Wife likes to drive it more than Impreza though. :facepalm: (She bought it new and was resistant to first minivan.)

This week had me a tiny bit worried about gas issues going on longer- and I've thought often about the fact that my 40mile commute could be easily done by an EV or hybrid, and we have garage for charging. I don't know why I like the volt more than so many other hybrids (I love the "use it as an emergency generator mod" people have done).

But we just don't "need" to spend around $15k now to swap out Impreza for one.

BTW the android auto is working MUCH MUCH better now! Hasn't disconnected in a couple weeks. I guess I'll order a trailer hitch for Impreza so I can turn it into bike hauler....... (maybe next year we'll turn it into kayak hauler, too?)   
I only have experience of a Prius. Just a regular hybrid. I drove it for about eight months to commute from the exurbs into the city. It was the best, most relaxing car I've ever used for sitting in traffic. Everything just worked: great a/c, comfortable, easy & super reliable.

I am sure gas taxes will go up, dramatically... iron fist to tip the balance to EVs.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

afty

https://www.gm-trucks.com/2022-gmc-hummer-ev-will-weight-more-than-9000lbs/

"The 2022 GMC HUMMER EV will be a big launch for General Motors. Both figuratively and physically. GM-Trucks.com has learned the company's very first all-electric truck will tip the scales at 9,046 lbs." :frown:

Galaxy

Quote from: afty on May 17, 2021, 09:52:15 PM

"The 2022 GMC HUMMER EV will be a big launch for General Motors. Both figuratively and physically. GM-Trucks.com has learned the company's very first all-electric truck will tip the scales at 9,046 lbs." :frown:

Holy fuck!

SJ_GTI

Jesus. I'd be worried that heavy of a vehicle wouldn't be allowed on some residential roads...not to mention it might destroy your driveway.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 18, 2021, 06:06:31 AM
Jesus. I'd be worried that heavy of a vehicle wouldn't be allowed on some residential roads...not to mention it might destroy your driveway.

Its very close to the curb weight of my 30' motor home.  Its fucking ridiculous.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

WTF is it made of - lead?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

I'm also sure that offroading parks are going to be thrilled with these things destroying trails
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

By driving "diagonally" it can likely occupy 2 lanes of the freeway.  King of the road! :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

RomanChariot

It's a lot of weight but it has 3 motors and enough battery power to haul its mass over 300 miles. It also has a ton of complexity (removable panels, adjustable ride height, etc.) that adds up to a lot of extra pounds. When you consider that a Tesla Model S can weigh in close to 5000 pounds and a Ford F-250 can tilt the scales at over 7500 pounds and neither of them have the complexity of the Hummer, I am not surprised this thing is the weight of a small elephant.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on May 18, 2021, 09:57:34 AM
It's a lot of weight but it has 3 motors and enough battery power to haul its mass over 300 miles. It also has a ton of complexity (removable panels, adjustable ride height, etc.) that adds up to a lot of extra pounds. When you consider that a Tesla Model S can weigh in close to 5000 pounds and a Ford F-250 can tilt the scales at over 7500 pounds and neither of them have the complexity of the Hummer, I am not surprised this thing is the weight of a small elephant.

Yeah, I'm not surprised at all.

The next batch of EV hype is big trucks, and they are excessive in a similar way that the current batch of $100k pickups are excessive.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Quote from: afty on May 17, 2021, 09:52:15 PM

Haha - and so it begins.

Morris Minor

The EPA will need to set some efficiency standards.
Watt's your car's kWh/100 miles?

ahaha I'm dying here.

Laconian

It's a neverending cycle. Scientists and engineers inventing new efficient ways to do something, and capitalism finds creative ways to abuse that efficiency to deliver BIGGER and BETTER.

GoCougs

Nothing is a brighter signpost of the non-viability of EVs as resurrecting literally the worst vehicle ever produced by Detroit (Hummer H2).

Galaxy

Ford just knocked it out of the ballpark with the F150 Lightning. $40,000  base (before credits), AWD, 426hp for the base, 10,000lbs towing, it can provide over 9kw of electrical power to consumers, and when plugged in at home it can act as a back up power bank.  :clap:

We will have to wait about the weight, it won't be pretty, but it should not be a 9000lbs behemoth like the Hummer H1.

Laconian

You're not kidding! That is one devastating spec sheet. Ho lee shit.

afty

I would love that home power backup feature. F-150 Lightning looks great.

r0tor

Lol... It's actually cheaper to buy a Lightening truck then an equivalent stack of Tesla powerwalls by a large margin

ChrisV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-SjpxcGyjE

This thing is going to be a fleet buyer's dream. Very low TCO and more than enough capability for most day to day use even while towing the typical landscape trailer. And Ford, like GM, has been under-reporting their EV range lately, so in real world, short run stop and go suburban use (where most fleet trucks are used) it'll most likely go farther than the stated range. And so much more useful than that ugly Cybertruck, especially with the easier loading bedsides and more usable frunk.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FoMoJo

And, again, the perfect name.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 20, 2021, 06:06:31 AM
And, again, the perfect name.

Agreed, they got this one right for sure.

SJ_GTI

Another great name: Mega Power Frunk

Morris Minor

I went to a mall yesterday. There was one sad EV charge station stuck in a lonely bleak remote corner of the parking lot. Perfect location for skells, predators & rapists to operate.

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on May 19, 2021, 09:45:50 PM
Ford just knocked it out of the ballpark with the F150 Lightning. $40,000  base (before credits), AWD, 426hp for the base, 10,000lbs towing, it can provide over 9kw of electrical power to consumers, and when plugged in at home it can act as a back up power bank.  :clap:

We will have to wait about the weight, it won't be pretty, but it should not be a 9000lbs behemoth like the Hummer H1.

$40k is for the fleet model - the "customer facing" model starts at $52k.

Best case range is 300 miles, so normal driving is more like 225-250 miles, when taking into account temperature extremes, real freeway speeds, and being mindful of not running the battery to 0%. Towing at 10,000 lbs is bound to be 125 miles or less.

Sorta interesting, but yet another EV that 90+% of people can't legit afford and that is WAY less usable than an IC-powered F-150. I predict that like the Bolt, Mustang EV, and any other EV that isn't a Tesla, few will actually be sold.

The stripper gasoline V6 F-150 is the better option, including probably environmentally.

Kudos are in order however for the IRS - WAY long overdue.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 20, 2021, 06:29:32 AM
I went to a mall yesterday. There was one sad EV charge station stuck in a lonely bleak remote corner of the parking lot. Perfect location for skells, predators & rapists to operate.

I'd rather have the charging station at the back of the lot than in a prime spot, where it's likely to be ICE'd.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV