Impreza

Started by AutobahnSHO, July 16, 2019, 11:45:21 AM

AutobahnSHO

IT's really really hard to shift the auto transmission in/out of gear. Seems worse now that we're driving it less.

I'll take it to shop tomorrow, what should I be checking??...    :hammerhead:
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 16, 2019, 11:45:21 AM
IT's really really hard to shift the auto transmission in/out of gear. Seems worse now that we're driving it less.

I'll take it to shop tomorrow, what should I be checking??...    :hammerhead:

Is it just getting out of park, or is it any gear change?

It might be the little switch that prevents you from moving out of park if your foot isn't on the brake. I need to replace that on the Explorer, but it only fails some of the time, so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 16, 2019, 11:48:14 AM
Is it just getting out of park, or is it any gear change?

It might be the little switch that prevents you from moving out of park if your foot isn't on the brake. I need to replace that on the Explorer, but it only fails some of the time, so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Interlock seems fine, it's hard to push the lever up and down to any gears. Gets worse trying to go past D to little-used 3, 2 & 1.
Will

93JC

Don't know how an Impreza gear selector switch is linked up to the shift lever itself, but it's a good bet that's what's binding up.

AutobahnSHO

Thanks, I'll put it on the lift tomorrow and ask the mechanic there.

Nothing like $5 shop charge + $3/hr and free advice/ access to shop manuals.
Will

AutobahnSHO

So mechanic thinks the cable is bad- poked a hole in the boot around the end of the cable where it meets the transmission, spray some PB blaster in, worked it some, it got better, so he thinks that's the entire problem. Car does have a lot of years on it..

Cable is $55 from Subaru. Lot cheaper than I thought it would be- and it's funny they say it goes on "50 variants (vehicles) between 2005-2014". That's some cost savings there!?!?!

Subarus must truly be like Lego cars, mix and match whatever.... !
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 17, 2019, 06:36:39 PM
So mechanic thinks the cable is bad- poked a hole in the boot around the end of the cable where it meets the transmission, spray some PB blaster in, worked it some, it got better, so he thinks that's the entire problem. Car does have a lot of years on it..

Cable is $55 from Subaru. Lot cheaper than I thought it would be- and it's funny they say it goes on "50 variants (vehicles) between 2005-2014". That's some cost savings there!?!?!

Subarus must truly be like Lego cars, mix and match whatever.... !

Heh, yeah, everything they make (minus the BR-Z) is on one of two platforms, so I guess it makes sense that there are a lot of interchangeable parts.

The newest models will even be down to a single platform once everything gets updated - the "Subaru Global Platform". Once the new Outback comes out in a few months, I think it'll just be the WRX and STi that are left on old platforms (they tend to lag a few years behind Impreza updates).

AutobahnSHO

Transmission is still ok, didn't replace the shifter cable yet.

NEW PROBLEM THOUGH-
A few times under hard acceleration got loss of power, CEL, #2 and #4 misfire.  Then it did it bad with cruise light flashing as well.

I replaced coil pack today, it drives ok except for hard acceleration, #4 misfire. Forums seem to indicate "burnt valve" on the STIs etc...

I'll have to take it to garage, sigh.   
Will

AutobahnSHO

Took it in to garage and got coilpack, wires, & plugs changed.

In the meantime, Last Monday (MLK day) it was chilly but I had made appt to play disc golf with a work friend. Get in Miata, get charger, phone mount etc...  situated (I don't leave anything in the car cuz I always leave it unlocked) and drop the parking brake but the car won't budge. Try the handle a few times, no change. I figure it was just frozen.

I take Odyssey (40min drive) and play. Then I turn Odyssey on and the belt(s) were SQUEALING as loud as they ever go. I open the hood and don't see anything seized up. So I hope and pray and drive home. Lucky Miata parking brake that afternoon let up so I put a brick behind the downhill wheel and didn't set the brake overnight.

Get Impreza back and take Odyssey in. It turned out the bracket holding the alternator broke so the belt was sometimes barely turning because the tensioner wasn't able to keep it tight. They welded it.

Get Odyssey back and take Miata in. They say it's the caliper and not just parking cable. They put calipers and pads on. Go to pick it up is and CEL comes on in Impreza. So left Impreza there Saturday, on the way home I pull p-brake to check it, and brakes seize up some. I play with it and the car will move SOME, I was just a couple blocks from home so drove slow with hazards on, get out and one side is hot and smells like crazy.  The-pbrake doesn't hold the car on a hill so it's got a brick again.

SIGH ARGH   :rage:

Getting groceries in Odyssey (Sandy) Saturday we saw a "gloss black pearl" 2012 Odyssey with 76k miles for sale for $12,500. 

We had been looking online from time to time, and that's a decent price. Has all the options we really want: backup cam (wife), sunroof (me), dual A/C (both), Bluetooth, rear DVD, leather, 8seats. We're going to look at it tomorrow. We'd pay cash and then need to sort out the other problems with Sandy and  Impreza, and figure which one to sell. I would prefer to keep Impreza, Sandy has almost quarter million miles and is just too big. But we've had issues with Impreza on and off, so for pure reliability Sandy might be better option.

We'll see!
Will

MrH

You're a patient man.  I would have burned it all down and bought a bus pass.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on January 27, 2020, 08:30:18 AM
You're a patient man.  I would have burned it all down and bought a bus pass.

:lol:

Will

AutobahnSHO

They said Impreza issue is cat converter code. I'll swap Miata after work so they can look at brakes.

We have to register Impreza in October, VA safety inspection won't pass if the code doesn't go away. But we might be in a different state by then.... It's a double cat on one pipe so expensive!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Belts are squealing sometimes- at startup and while still cold if you turn the wheel.

I haven't actually looked at the belts, I'll do that tomorrow. But could it be steering pump or something else??.... 
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 27, 2020, 09:10:22 AM
They said Impreza issue is cat converter code. I'll swap Miata after work so they can look at brakes.

We have to register Impreza in October, VA safety inspection won't pass if the code doesn't go away. But we might be in a different state by then.... It's a double cat on one pipe so expensive!

And replaced sensor and reset computer and issues didn't come back.
Will

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 12, 2021, 09:01:00 PM
Belts are squealing sometimes- at startup and while still cold if you turn the wheel.

I haven't actually looked at the belts, I'll do that tomorrow. But could it be steering pump or something else??.... 
Sounds like the Power Steering Pump.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

Check the fluid level in the pump
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 27, 2020, 09:10:22 AM

Good chance its just a sensor. Also, the low efficiency cat codes can be made to go away long enough to get the inspection done just by disconnecting the battery for a few seconds.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

So the Steering reservoir has marks for "coldmin" and "coldmax" about half inch apart. It's about 40deg right now and it's apparently been 1/2" above "coldmax" for at least a year or two. :huh:
Cuz we haven't added or removed any fluid in forever and ever.

Belts look good.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 13, 2021, 10:34:41 AM
So the Steering reservoir has marks for "coldmin" and "coldmax" about half inch apart. It's about 40deg right now and it's apparently been 1/2" above "coldmax" for at least a year or two. :huh:
Cuz we haven't added or removed any fluid in forever and ever.

Belts look good.

Odysseus? Is it a belt squeal or a power steering pump whine?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 13, 2021, 04:38:01 PM
Odysseus? Is it a belt squeal or a power steering pump whine?

Impreza, definitely belt squealing.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 14, 2021, 05:20:16 AM
Impreza, definitely belt squealing.

It has a manual belt tensioner, right?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 14, 2021, 10:18:24 AM
It has a manual belt tensioner, right?

yes, 2 belts, 2 tensioners.
Will

RomanChariot

My daughter drives a Mazda Protege with a similar setup. It turns out that the main belt on the Protege doesn't have very much wrap around on one of the pulleys so it will slip and squeal if it doesn't have a lot of tension. I bought new belts and tightened them to the point that you could only twist the belt about 90 degrees between your fingers on its longest run and that has kept it from squealing. Once the belt starts slipping it will glaze the belt and you will likely need to replace it.

Eye of the Tiger

Yep, try more tension. If not, try a new belt and more tension. My Cherokee has a metric fuck ton of tension on the belt in order to drive my heavy duty fan clutch without slipping.

AutobahnSHO

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Tension it a little at a time, then tighten it down and see if the squeal stops. Then go another full turn-ish on the tensioner bolt.

AutobahnSHO

So there are two belts- one is just A/C.

The other goes around the power steering, water pump and the tension comes from adjusting the alternator position. Can't go any more tension because then the belt touches the bolt which holds the tensioner tight. :mask: :huh: 

Oil changed though.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 23, 2021, 06:31:59 PM
So there are two belts- one is just A/C.

The other goes around the power steering, water pump and the tension comes from adjusting the alternator position. Can't go any more tension because then the belt touches the bolt which holds the tensioner tight. :mask: :huh: 

Oil changed though.

Sounds like it needs a new belt. That one is probably worn and stretched.

AutobahnSHO

No cracks at all. :huh: doesn't look glazed :huh:
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 25, 2021, 06:16:01 PM
No cracks at all. :huh: doesn't look glazed :huh:
Do belts crack or look glazed these days?  Thought they looked good until they stretched or snapped.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."