Nissan teases a buttload of new cars, including Z

Started by 565, May 28, 2020, 11:33:51 PM

MX793

I've been reading "modern with nods to past models".  The tail lamps look to be a throwback to the Z32 generation of the 90s.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Twin turbo V6? Goddamn it, this is going to be another overkill and overpriced GT-R.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on September 13, 2020, 12:18:53 AM
Twin turbo V6 and a manual? Now I'm interested.

+1

As long as it's not a porker weight wise.
Will

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 13, 2020, 09:07:17 AM
+1

As long as it's not a porker weight wise.

You know it will be, though. Lightweight cars are a thing of the past. Technology, crash regs, modular platforms. The only way to build a lightweight car is to go out of your way to build a lightweight car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on September 15, 2020, 06:55:05 AM
You know it will be, though. Lightweight cars are a thing of the past. Technology, crash regs, modular platforms. The only way to build a lightweight car is to go out of your way to build a lightweight car.

It's platform sharing, more than safety regs, that resulted in the last Z being such a porker.  When you build your small, 2 seat sports car on the same platform that is also intended to underpin a full size sedan and/or midsize SUV, you don't end up with a particularly weight-optimized package.

Power is the other part of it.  If you have a powerful, 400 hp / 400 lb-ft motor, everything in the driveline needs to be beefier than a 300 hp, 280 lb-ft motor.  Transmission gears, clutch, driveshaft, half-shafts, u-joints, differential...  All of it gets heavier.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Xer0

The 370Z was like 3300 lbs and had 350hp.  Not exactly a porker and its lighter than most things this side of a 86/Miata/718.  Not sure why people keep calling it a porker when it was pretty light considering the age it was built in.

Raza

Quote from: Xer0 on September 15, 2020, 08:41:08 AM
The 370Z was like 3300 lbs and had 350hp.  Not exactly a porker and its lighter than most things this side of a 86/Miata/718.  Not sure why people keep calling it a porker when it was pretty light considering the age it was built in.

Really? That's not bad at all. Thought it was much heavier than that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Xer0 on September 15, 2020, 08:41:08 AM

It's not as heavy as a Mustang or Camaro, but it was still quite heavy for what was a small car.  A Z4M coupe of that era was 3100 lbs.  987 Cayman was just under 3000.  Both offered similarly powerful, 6 cylinder engines and neither were constructed from exotic materials like carbon composites and unicorn farts.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Xer0

Quote from: MX793 on September 15, 2020, 09:02:34 AM
It's not as heavy as a Mustang or Camaro, but it was still quite heavy for what was a small car.  A Z4M coupe of that era was 3100 lbs.  987 Cayman was just under 3000.  Both offered similarly powerful, 6 cylinder engines and neither were constructed from exotic materials like carbon composites and unicorn farts.

Both Germans were also twice as expensive to start and went up from there.  The Mustang didn't have an independent rear and the Camaro was like 150lbs heavier still.  At the end of the day, the 370Z was really not that heavy for what it was; a 350hp, RWD performance car that cost about 30K to start.

Payman

The 350-370Z were bulky, heavy looking designs. I find the previous Supra looked porky too. In contrast, the RX-8 looked like a lightweight.

SJ_GTI

I dig the 370z, its not practical but I am sure it is fun to drive (compared to the Camaro/Mustang, not necessarily the Miata).

That being said I think the last time I drove one was more than a decade ago (and it was a 350z). For me though, if I am getting something that small I either want it to be a convertible (or more practical, like my Golf).

veeman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B6zkx4xEQ6M

I remember watching this commercial in a movie theater before the movie back right before it came out.  Too ballsy to shoot something like this today.  They "shut down" the streets of Prague but it doesn't really look shut down.  I wanted one. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on September 15, 2020, 01:08:25 PM
For me though, if I am getting something that small I either want it to be a convertible (or more practical, like my Golf).

I've never really cared for convertibles. They're OK, but coupes are just as good IMO.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rich

They just reskinned the 370.  The A pillars and windshield are the same.  The dash and doors have the same structure.  Hard pass as they say
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 15, 2020, 07:44:29 PM
The profile looks good, but they might've put a little more thought into the grille.

It looks like a generic starter car from a second rate video game
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 15, 2020, 08:06:42 PM
It looks like a generic starter car from a second rate video game

It's one of those free games that looks like shit and sucks to play, and makes you think about how much of your life has been wasted so far.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

I like the profile.  Adding a bit of front and rear overhang makes it seem less stubby.  The rear deck appears lower than the 370.  The new rear fascia and tail lamps are very 90s.  Reminds me of the S14 Silvia/240SX.  I dig it.

The front fascia, woof.  The grille is a sorry attempt at evoking the original 240Z, but comes off as looking unfinished.  The whole front end seems kind of unfinished.  The headlamps just look odd.  Very bland and they don't seem to fit the rest of the design.  You have a very rectangular grille, the wide, vertically narrow, rectangular tail lamp bar, and then these round, upward-swept, doe-eye headlamps.  I feel like a more circular headlamp would have looked better.  Or a vertically stacked oval like the Panoz Esperante.  I also feel like it needs a set of driving lamps or turn signals or something to break up those large, body-color expanses to either side of the grille.

I'm kind of disappointed that this is, from what I can tell, a heavy face lift rather than an all new car.  Maybe there's more changes under the skin besides the power train.  I quite like everything from the front axle back.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on September 15, 2020, 08:52:23 PM
I like the profile.  Adding a bit of front and rear overhang makes it seem less stubby.  The rear deck appears lower than the 370.  The new rear fascia and tail lamps are very 90s.  Reminds me of the S14 Silvia/240SX.  I dig it.

The front fascia, woof.  The grille is a sorry attempt at evoking the original 240Z, but comes off as looking unfinished.  The whole front end seems kind of unfinished.  The headlamps just look odd.  Very bland and they don't seem to fit the rest of the design.  You have a very rectangular grille, the wide, vertically narrow, rectangular tail lamp bar, and then these round, upward-swept, doe-eye headlamps.  I feel like a more circular headlamp would have looked better.  Or a vertically stacked oval like the Panoz Esperante.  I also feel like it needs a set of driving lamps or turn signals or something to break up those large, body-color expanses to either side of the grille.

I'm kind of disappointed that this is, from what I can tell, a heavy face lift rather than an all new car.  Maybe there's more changes under the skin besides the power train.  I quite like everything from the front axle back.

Bang on assessment, 100% agreement.

Xer0

This isn't the official car but rather a "proto Z", and these photos look like renderings, so there is still hope that Nissan puts a couple more little touches here and there to bring it all together.  The rear looks retro and kinda cool, the side profile looks about as good as a hatch will ever look, while the front headlights look nice and modern but the front grill is....well, its missing.  I've warmed up to the Vantage, but it had an actual shape and design to its front, this is literally just a rectangle cut out in front.  I don't think the chrome outline of the roof is a good design decision either. 

Its a little disappointing honestly, hopefully Nissan doesn't get too ambitious with pricing and keeps it closer to the outgoing 370Z and not the Supra.

Laconian

The exterior is just too incongruous. It feels like they ran out of money when evolving the 370Z. Are they trying to reuse existing tooling, perhaps?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on September 15, 2020, 08:52:23 PM

I can't disagree with any of the points you've made, but to me it looks good.

MrH

Profile is nice.  But yeah, that front end is a disaster.  Looks like an unfinished punch out for the grill.

Awful color to debut it with too.

Quote from: Rich on September 15, 2020, 07:23:00 PM
They just reskinned the 370.  The A pillars and windshield are the same.  The dash and doors have the same structure.  Hard pass as they say

Wait, is this really just another FM platform car?! 
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Quote from: MrH on September 16, 2020, 07:53:59 AM
Profile is nice.  But yeah, that front end is a disaster.  Looks like an unfinished punch out for the grill.

Awful color to debut it with too.

Wait, is this really just another FM platform car?! 

Compare the vent locations, overall dash form, and the side windows/windshield/a pillar to the 370.  They don't have another front engine rwd platform I don't think?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

MrH

Ugh.  This is dead on arrival to me then.  The FM platform is outdated, heavy, and feels like garbage compared to its competitors.  It's impossible to drive a miata, BRZ, or S2000 back to back with a 350 or 370Z, and choose the Nissan.  All the controls are really heavy, the car feels heavy.  It feels like you're sitting in a massive plastic bin.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV