Tire Repair - Kits? Tools?

Started by SJ_GTI, November 12, 2020, 06:08:32 AM

SJ_GTI

Hey folks, I was getting my winter wheels/tires ready this weekend and noticed one of them has a big screw in it. I was going to take it to the shop my dad used to work at (he's retired now) but I am thinking...shouldn't I be able to fix this myself? It doesn't seem like it would be that complicated if I had the right tools. I am not mechanically inclined but I can do basic maintenance stuff (oil changes, filter changes, wheel/tire rotations, etc...). I would say I tend to average about one nail/screw per year so if it would be nice to just do this myself from now on.

I see on amazon and autozone type places they sell tire repair kits. Is it as simple as getting one of these kits and just doing it? Anything I need to look out for?

r0tor

If you take the tire to a tire place they will dismount the tire and use a plug/patch from the inside of the tire that is certified to be a permanent fix.

The best you can do yourself is to use a plug from the outside.  I've had some mixed results just plugging tires.  Sometimes they hold well and sometimes they had a slow leak.

I would recommend always carrying a plug kit and a small air compressor in the trunk.  Plugging a tire iand blowing it up is infinitely easier they putting on a spare tire.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Those DIY plug kits are garbage.  The proper way to fix a puncture is to remove the tire from the rim and patch from the inside (supplemented by a plug if the puncture is large enough).  The process isn't particularly difficult, but not something I'd recommend a newbie tackle without someone experienced looking over their shoulder.  Patching requires some grinding of the tire lining and done incorrectly can destroy the tire.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

RomanChariot

Plugging a tire is not all that difficult. I have done it several times and I have not had a problem with any of the plugs that I have installed. My preference would be to have the tire patched from the inside but I have taken a tire to a tire shop before and had them just plug it from the outside. My brother-in-law got a flat outside of a small town in a remote part of Utah after all of the tire shops were closed. We found a store that was open that had a plug kit and my brother-in-law had a small compressor. We plugged the tire and put air in it and we were able to finish out our trip without any problems.

CaminoRacer

I always figured the DIY kits are just temporary - enough to get you home/to a tire shop so they can fix it from the inside or get you a new tire.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 12, 2020, 10:03:46 AM
I always figured the DIY kits are just temporary - enough to get you home/to a tire shop so they can fix it from the inside or get you a new tire.

That's how I view them.  If you're in the middle of Death Valley and that's all the service station has, it will get you where you need to go.  It may even hold up for the remaining life of the tire.  But if you have the option, a proper patch is the way to go.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

There's a big chain of tire shops here which will fix flats for free.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on November 12, 2020, 11:58:08 AM
There's a big chain of tire shops here which will fix flats for free.

My shop does free flat repairs. Inside patch and a rebalance. FREEEE!!!!!

The rope plugs are okay if you do it right, but I wouldn't drive over 70-ish on one.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

So the biggest issue with the kit is I always get screws close to the sidewall and the safety inspectors said you can't plug them within x inches away from the sidewall. (2? 1?)

Will

SJ_GTI

Appreciate the feedback guys. I am getting it patched.

Still think I will get a plug kit though. I have portable air compressor in my car already so at least I have that covered.  :lol: I've used my portable air compressor more often at home than anywhere else though. Usually will top off all the tires when I doing anything else with the car (switching wheels, oil change, etc...).

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on November 17, 2020, 09:32:56 AM
I've used my portable air compressor more often at home than anywhere else though. Usually will top off all the tires when I doing anything else with the car (switching wheels, oil change, etc...).

+1
Will

AutobahnSHO

So we had a screw in minivan tire, luckily they were able to patch it.  Along with balance and replacing TPMS sensor for $30.
Will

Payman

I've had a plug kit for over 30 years, and must have externally plugged a dozen tires in that time without ever having an issue. In some cases 3 or 4 more years on that tire and an extra 50,000 kms.

Morris Minor

Evoking memories here. 1990 or so, living in the UK. Vacation in France. Volvo 245 at the side of the road with a puncture, wife looking on with baby on her hip as I frantically change the wheel after having emptied the trunk to get to the spare, while thanking the gods that my dad had shown me how to change a wheel.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși