Did You Know Lincoln Made A Givenchy Edition Of The Continental Mark V?

Started by cawimmer430, January 25, 2021, 04:17:57 AM

cawimmer430

Eco Wackos be like: "HOW DARE YOU!"  :praise:

Did You Know Lincoln Made A Givenchy Edition Of The Continental Mark V?

Most of us are already familiar with Lincoln's massive flagship Continental Mark V, which, in some configurations, measured just shy of 20 feet long. What you might not have known about this luxo-barge, however, is that Lincoln once offered a Givenchy Designer Edition of it.

One of a series of Designer Editions that also included Bill Blass, Cartier, and Emilio Pucci, the Givenchy Edition was actually quite rare. Of the roughly 228,000 Continental Mark Vs produced from 1977 to 1979, a small number of Givenchy Designer Editions were made: 917 for 1978 and 2,262 for 1979. There appears to have been some sold for 1977, although that number is not known.

The Mark V was the epitome of malaise-era American luxury at its time, and the Givenchy Edition only took that further. The option package consisted of designer-coordinated exterior paint colors, interior upholstery and trim, vinyl roof, and body moldings. It also distinguished itself from the regular Mark V with a designer's logo on the trunk, the designer's signature embedded in the opera window glass, and a 22-karat gold-plated nameplate plaque to be mounted on the instrument panel, which buyers would receive shortly after taking delivery of their new Mark V Designer Edition.

Along with each Designer Edition series differing from each other, all four were changed in colors and trim each year. In 1979, the Bill Blass, Cartier, and Givenchy also adopted color-keyed alloy wheels.

Aside from the appearance, the rest of the car was identical to the regular Mark V. It was powered by either a 6.6- or 7.5-liter V8 delivering 166 hp or 212 hp to the rear wheels respectively via a 3-speed automatic transmission. Not exactly something to write home about, but its main focus was on luxury and comfort.

Despite the Givenchy Designer Edition's rarity, one is currently up for sale in the Netherland by Gallery Aaldering, with a listed price of €26,950 ($32,803).

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/did-you-know-lincoln-made-a-givenchy-edition-of-the-continental-mark-v/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Yes, this was part of the designer series- other ones included the Bill Blass and Cartier editions.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

Bill Blass seemed to be the most popular. I still see those on the road.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

cawimmer430

What was the fuel economy on these things? I've heard of 9 mpg on a good day...  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

I've always been obsessed with those tacky headlights. And yeah, low MPG and no power at the same time.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Raza

212hp from 7.5L. Wow. If you want to see proof of progress, just compare that to modern engines.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2021, 07:37:51 AM
212hp from 7.5L. Wow. If you want to see proof of progress, just compare that to modern engines.

Yeah, but it probably had 400 torx at idle. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on January 27, 2021, 07:37:51 AM

Only a few years prior, those numbers were much better.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Emissions testing cut off year in California is 1975. So in theory, if you could find a nice, clean 1975 Continental, it would be possible to restore the HP with aftermarket parts. Heads, intake, exhaust and ignition mods.  Keep the smog low compression pistons so you could run regular,
The 460 would deliver about 350-400 HP.

It would be cool to do that to one of those mid '70's 440 Mopar sedans.    500+HP pretty easy.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 27, 2021, 10:58:39 AM
Only a few years prior, those numbers were much better.
Also, a few years later, once catalytic converters were perfected as well as carburetors replaced with various forms of fuel injection.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

In 1980 I rented a 1979 Thunderbird in Los Angeles, and drove it all the way up the West coast, then inland (ID, UT, AZ,) then back via Las Vegas to LA. I think it must have had the California-smogged carbureted 351W. Whatever it was it was appalling and horribly underpowered. I remember the headlights were super weak, so I took a look. Because they were concealed, they'd never been cleaned & were nearly opaque with grime. A quick wash helped a bit.

The Thunderbird was pretty bleak, but then there was that Chevy Chevette I rented a year later.
Malaise Era engineering.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 31, 2021, 05:59:44 AM
In 1980 I rented a 1979 Thunderbird in Los Angeles, and drove it all the way up the West coast, then inland (ID, UT, AZ,) then back via Las Vegas to LA. I think it must have had the California-smogged carbureted 351W. Whatever it was it was appalling and horribly underpowered. I remember the headlights were super weak, so I took a look. Because they were concealed, they'd never been cleaned & were nearly opaque with grime. A quick wash helped a bit.

The Thunderbird was pretty bleak, but then there was that Chevy Chevette I rented a year later.
Malaise Era engineering.

A rental T-Bird was almost certainly the 302, and in full smog trim produced a whopping 140 HP.

r0tor

My grandmother had a 1970s era Ford LTD with either the 428 or 460 cubic inch V8.  She use to talk about how fast it was... But I remember was it massively twisting the chassis when she would hub it and it being only slightly faster than walking.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Beyond 1970 until the early '80s, cars were shit, and not much good until the 2000s.

The '60s were entirely different, and truly the "Golden Era."  Maybe they didn't handle all that well, but they did go fast by the standards of the time.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 31, 2021, 07:46:06 AM
A rental T-Bird was almost certainly the 302, and in full smog trim produced a whopping 140 HP.
I was assuming that - but the Wikipedia article said California Thunderbirds had the 351W. I drove it up the Pacific Coast Highway. Probably the worst type of road for that car - I remember wishing I'd had an Alfasud.