Switching to EVs will benefit.......you guessed it. China.

Started by shp4man, April 05, 2021, 10:14:52 AM

Morris Minor

This will be China's century, without question. They're lean & mean, intelligent, patient & ambitious. And they're graduating engineers from their schools and ours, not experts in LGBTQ underwater basketweaving.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Char

Instead of wasting resources and energy on selling another 'product' to correct an issue that was caused by cars in the first place, why don't we move to mass transit? I know it's not as sexy but...buying a 50k car isn't really helping the environment.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Laconian

Quote from: Char on May 01, 2021, 03:18:52 PM
Instead of wasting resources and energy on selling another 'product' to correct an issue that was caused by cars in the first place, why don't we move to mass transit? I know it's not as sexy but...buying a 50k car isn't really helping the environment.

Agreed, but those 50k cars have spurred on a heck of a lot of R&D in technologies which are essential for clean and cost effective mass transit. We have to play the hand we're dealt too, which involves a lot of sprawl. The economics of mass transit don't work for everyone.

Personally I want to see more people on ebikes. The amount of range and utility you can get from half a horsepower is astonishing. And you can commute faster than cars can at rush hour. Bike lanes don't gum up like car lanes do.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Char on May 01, 2021, 03:18:52 PM

Have you ever tried it?

In many cities which have busses/trains you have to do a transfer, making a 20min drive a 90min public transportation adventure.
Will

GoCougs

IMO EVs (and autonomous driving) are still DOA from a mass adoption standpoint, for all sorts of reasons, including simple logic as presented by Char.

Mass transit is probably worse however - see the damage done to Japan, the world's most transit'd society on the planet by probably an order of magnitude.

Galaxy

And in other news US company QuantumScape will this year deliver the fist production ready solid state battery cells to Ford, and VW, they are targeting 2023 as the year where the first cars with this technology might hit the market. VW and QuantumScape also announced that they are building a cell plant in Salzgitter, Germany.

Looks like VW is spreading the risk they are also cooperating with Skandinavien company NorthVolt, who are also building a cell plant in Salzgitter.   

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Galaxy on May 14, 2021, 10:58:39 AM
And in other news US company QuantumScape will this year deliver the fist production ready solid state battery cells to Ford, and VW, they are targeting 2023 as the year where the first cars with this technology might hit the market. VW and QuantumScape also announced that they are building a cell plant in Salzgitter, Germany.

Looks like VW is spreading the risk they are also cooperating with Skandinavien company NorthVolt, who are also building a cell plant in Salzgitter.   

With these innovations it actually makes me hesitant to buy an EV again (or trade in our Bolt), because there are massive advancements on the way and I'd be better off waiting longer.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Awwww shit, yeah! Solid state batteries are my trigger to get an EV. Plus a major failure for the Subaru - it's well broken in, it's had its dings and its upholestery scratches, and it's kind of liberating to have a useful car I don't give a shit about.

SJ_GTI

Knowing that advancements in battery tech (even big ones) wouldn't specifically hold me back from getting an EV that met all my needs at the time I was shopping.

That being said if this stuff actually works out it will be a huge step forward and, I suspect, a point of no return for ICE cars.

Laconian

We'll take pains to prolong the life of the Subie until an acceptable EV comes out. I think we are there now in most regards, but I think we're right on the cusp of having a much better product, so it's better to wait. It's better for the environment to get a good full life out a car vs. replacing one prematurely anyway.

Miata will remain the garage queen fun car.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on May 14, 2021, 12:16:06 PM
We'll take pains to prolong the life of the Subie until an acceptable EV comes out. I think we are there now in most regards, but I think we're right on the cusp of having a much better product, so it's better to wait. It's better for the environment to get a good full life out a car vs. replacing one prematurely anyway.

Yeah no real downside to that approach.

There is a good chance that my current car (the Golf) is also the last new ICE car I own. I'm still a couple years from buying anything new anyway so I am just gonna wait and see where things are at.

FoMoJo

What is the rate of degradation on EV batteries?

Any battery tool or appliance I've ever had starts to degrade after only months.  The Dyson vacuum cleaner that used to last about 40 minutes on a charge is now down to about 10-15 minutes.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 14, 2021, 12:21:50 PM
What is the rate of degradation on EV batteries?

Incredibly low. Car charge controllers give the batteries a lot of buffer so they generally live unstressed lives.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on May 14, 2021, 12:16:06 PM

We bought a Bolt since we needed another commuting car, so it made complete sense at the time. There's a bit of temptation to upgrade every time a new EV comes out, but it would be smarter to hold onto the current car until it's actually in need of replacement. It'll be a nice jump from a Bolt to something with an 800v solid state battery system.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Meh, battery tech has been advancing for 125+ years, and still no dice, esp. that batteries with each new "evolution" become ever more expensive.

As has been the case for ~125 years, EVs have a place, but it is extremely narrow scope, and fairly narrow in scale. Just keep doing that.