An update on my friend's I-Pace

Started by Laconian, April 29, 2021, 11:12:11 AM

Laconian

My friend bought a very sexy looking Jaguar I-Pace a little over a year ago. Beautiful, fast, sophisticated. Well, it's gone now. Spent four months in the shop and lemon law'd. When he was about to buy the car I bit my tongue because I REALLY wanted to joke about Jaguar's (well, Lucas)'s reputation with electrical systems. I should've made the joke and dissuaded him from buying the car.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

It's a joke that in 2021 Jaguar & Land Rover STILL haven't figured out initial and long-term quality.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on April 29, 2021, 11:18:21 AM
It's a joke that in 2021 Jaguar & Land Rover STILL haven't figured out initial and long-term quality.
Hit and miss it seems.  Our Discovery Sport is now four-and-a-half years with absolutely nothing wrong...fingers crossed though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

That's a shame. I really like the way it looked.

Laconian

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 29, 2021, 11:58:24 AM
That's a shame. I really like the way it looked.

It makes a great first impression. :huh:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on April 29, 2021, 11:12:11 AM
My friend bought a very sexy looking Jaguar I-Pace a little over a year ago. Beautiful, fast, sophisticated. Well, it's gone now. Spent four months in the shop and lemon law'd. When he was about to buy the car I bit my tongue because I REALLY wanted to joke about Jaguar's (well, Lucas)'s reputation with electrical systems. I should've made the joke and dissuaded him from buying the car.
You can still get him one of these...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

I remember watching a Harry Metcalfe video where he'd lived with an I-Pace for a week or so. He had a horrible time with the rate it depleted its battery: woeful miles/watt-hour or whatever the measure is.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

r0tor

Ahhh... A few years ago this thing marked the end of Tesla
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Are Tesla Stans the automotive equivalent of Vegans? As in the old joke; how do you find a vegan in a crowd? Don't worry, they'll tell you.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 29, 2021, 06:38:43 PM
Are Tesla Stans the automotive equivalent of Vegans? As in the old joke; how do you find a vegan in a crowd? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Crossfitters.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 29, 2021, 06:38:43 PM

Quote from: Laconian on April 29, 2021, 07:59:49 PM
Crossfitters.

:lol:

Laconian

LOL! Apparently the service manager from Jaguar was the one that recommended that the lemon law be invoked. After three months his car was still something like number 35 in line to be fixed. Jaguar did not engineer the car right in the first place, and their supply chain was totally unprepared to deal with the failures.

GoCougs

Oh, the white one! Bummer. And how miserable.

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on May 24, 2021, 07:01:31 PM
Oh, the white one! Bummer. And how miserable.

Yup, you know the one. And it was such a good looking car, too.

Submariner

My dads new-in-86 XJ6 seized up 180 miles after delivery. Looks like not much has changed.

The recent crop of non-EV jags seem to have been quite reliable (by contrast at least).  Damn shame about the I-pace.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Laconian

After an entire year of use he is only $1500 out of pocket.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on May 24, 2021, 11:44:17 PM
After an entire year of use he is only $1500 out of pocket.

Well that's good though!
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 25, 2021, 07:10:29 PM
Well that's good though!

He was without a car for almost 3 months though. And apparently the failure mode was "car would not accelerate while turning left", so it was too scary to drive sometimes.

AutobahnSHO

Will

CaminoRacer

That really sucks for Jaguar (and your friend)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 26, 2021, 09:48:27 PM
That really sucks for Jaguar (and your friend)

And it was a cool car, too. One of the coolest rear ends of any car right now.

cawimmer430

What a POS! He should have gone for the Toyota Camry EV! So reliable! :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 27, 2021, 02:59:31 AM
What a POS! He should have gone for the Toyota Camry EV! So reliable! :lol:

Any Toyota would have been a better car. The Jag is truly a piece of badly engineered shit, in spite of the nice sheet metal.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on May 27, 2021, 11:44:38 AM
Any Toyota would have been a better car. The Jag is truly a piece of badly engineered shit, in spite of the nice sheet metal.

That's how I pretty much view all of Jaguar and Land Rover.  A poorly designed, beautiful piece of shit :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on May 27, 2021, 11:46:54 AM
That's how I pretty much view all of Jaguar and Land Rover.  A poorly designed, beautiful piece of shit :lol:

One of the families that owns a waterfront property on my hill is totally JLR for life. They get a new one every year. I can't decide if it's because their tastes are fickle and they feel a need to buy whatever new limited edition Rangie that comes out (previous one was matte gray; their new one is  blue and gold two-toned)... or if they're just replacing them as soon as they break.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on May 27, 2021, 12:12:42 PM
One of the families that owns a waterfront property on my hill is totally JLR for life. They get a new one every year. I can't decide if it's because their tastes are fickle and they feel a need to buy whatever new limited edition Rangie that comes out (previous one was matte gray; their new one is  blue and gold two-toned)... or if they're just replacing them as soon as they break.
That's the stereotypic approach to German car ownership. Buy new, enjoy for a year (two at the absolute max) then trade it in for another.
The original is sold CPO, the gremlins emerge, and the new owners raid their retirement savings to get the gremlins fixed.

That's why German cars have such great initial quality and owner satisfaction ratings, but such horrible reliability records.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Laconian

I'm not sure what thread I posted it in, but I think the thing which killed the matte gray Rangie was a light dusting of snow on our hill. Not even an eighth of an inch. It clobbered a curb and hit a big tree behind it.

I'd expect better from a Land Rover!

EDIT: here you go. The crash happened when the snowfall had barely started.

SJ_GTI

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 27, 2021, 12:25:35 PM
That's the stereotypic approach to German car ownership. Buy new, enjoy for a year (two at the absolute max) then trade it in for another.
The original is sold CPO, the gremlins emerge, and the new owners raid their retirement savings to get the gremlins fixed.

That's why German cars have such great initial quality and owner satisfaction ratings, but such horrible reliability records.

Lease disposables in effect, which has been the case for a while. Would be nice if the Japanese could sustain beyond the rare hits (NSX, Supra, LS400, G35/G37, Skyline/GTR, Z, etc.).

I imagine Kevin's neighbors are on some sort of automatic 1-year lease program that makes the cars basically rentals - after 12 months just drop off the "old" one and pick up a new whatever from the lot.

Laconian

The funny thing is that the 9's in the license plate are auspicious in Chinese numerology. The word for nine is jiu which is homophonous with another word for "forever". An ironic choice for a JLR product.