2021 Volkswagen T7 Multivan Due In June With MQB Underpinnings

Started by cawimmer430, May 06, 2021, 08:02:27 AM

cawimmer430

2021 Volkswagen T7 Multivan Due In June With MQB Underpinnings, More Smart Features

Volkswagen has released a sketch that gives us a better look of the new-gen T7 Multivan and announced that it will premiere in mid-June.

The people carrier features a more advanced design with certain aspects inspired by some of its predecessors. For instance, the horizontal character line running across the body is a nod to the T3, whereas the bonnet stretched under the windscreen reminds us of the T4.

"Taking a major step forward, we have further enhanced the unmistakable character of this iconic vehicle, while still remaining loyal to the typical Bulli line", said chief designer Albert Kirzinger. "We consciously invoke, for example, the horizontal character line that runs around the body of a T3. The DNA of the T's multifaceted story lives on. In a completely new Multivan, which is nevertheless a typical Bulli at first sight."

The front end of the T7 looks somewhat similar to some of VW's newer models, such as the Golf Mk8. And for good reason, because it is underpinned by the MQB platform, as the automaker has confirmed. As a result, it will be compatible with a wider number of powertrains, and if the recent reports turn out to be true, then it should launch with the usual petrol and diesel engines, likely joined by plug-in hybrid powertrains.

As far as the interior is concerned, the 2021 T7 Multivan promises enhanced practicality and improved space. It will feature a 10-inch infotainment system, 360-degee cameras, shift-by-wire gear selector, and a multi-function table that doubles as a console for the front-seat occupants.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/05/2021-volkswagen-t7-multivan-due-in-june-with-mqb-underpinnings-more-smart-features/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

The two "real" pictures of it on the link the OP posted don't look that good unfortunately. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on May 09, 2021, 03:58:17 PM
The two "real" pictures of it on the link the OP posted don't look that good unfortunately. 

Sadly that's always the case.  :cry:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

veeman

Yeah the Volkswagen Type 2 (T3) or Vanagon as known in the U.S. had a lot of charm and was a lifestyle vehicle.  This is no more interesting than a Ford Transit Van. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on May 12, 2021, 09:16:37 AM
Yeah the Volkswagen Type 2 (T3) or Vanagon as known in the U.S. had a lot of charm and was a lifestyle vehicle.  This is no more interesting than a Ford Transit Van. 

The current model looks quite nice. I like the boxy and angular shape it has. I'm just not in the market for a van.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

It looks good, but it did lose something. I am glad that they kept the vis-à-vis seaing.

Interesting: The seats get their power through the tracks, so they still keep all of their functionality no matter how they are positioned.

cawimmer430

2022 VW T7 Multivan: Forget Flower Power, It's All About Hybrid Power

The world's longest running people mover is moving into the electric age. The big news for the T7 version of Volkswagen's Type 2 (confusing, we know) is the appearance of plug-in hybrid power for the first time.

That's been made possible by the luxury people-carrier version of the T7 moving to the same MQB platform found under numerous VW Group family cars, from the Audi A3 to the small Volkswagen Caddy van. Plumbers, builders, mountain bikers and other buyers looking for a panel van will have to make do with the older T6, which continues in parallel.

Visually, though, and despite being wider and lower than the outgoing model, the T7 doesn't depart radically from the styling template laid out by the T6 introduced back in 2015, or its predecessor, 2003's T5. But this time the base of the windshield is pushed so much further forward there's now an extra window between the door and the A-pillar, giving more of a classic MPV look.

The hood is flatter, too, and the full-width grille and headlamps give the T7 a more dynamic, contemporary look, while also, Volkswagen says, tipping a hat to the classic boxy T3-generation bus built between 1979 and 1991. VW's designers have opted to paint the air intakes in body color, another retro reference to the old air-cooled Kombis that also happens to hint at the electric part of the PHEV drivetrain.

LED headlights are standard (in the UK, at least), while the trick IQ.Light matrix adaptive lamps now common on European cars but still outlawed in the US, are optional. Tick that box and you also get an illuminated LED bar across the grille.

VW has also been hard at work on the interior of the T7, whose seven seats are now 25 per cent lighter, making them much easier to slide or remove. The second row of seats can be swivelled 180-degrees so you can actually see your teenage kids ignoring you when you stop for lunch on a long trip, and the third row, previously a bench, now consists of individual removable seats.

The smartest feature though, is the new adjustable height table, which can be moved between any of the seating rows, or slid right through to the front where it becomes a center console.

Up front, there's more pace than before because an electric parking brake and shift-by-wire DSG twin-clutch transmission are standard, leaving a completely flat floor. And things get more tech-focused from there, thanks to the 'Digital Cockpit' instrument pack, wireless smartphone charging tray and an optional head-up display.

You can even order a panoramic sunroof, IQ.Drive Travel Assist, which combines Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist for semi-autonomous driving, or a 14-speaker, 640-watt Harmon Kardon sound system. And We Connect Plus allows you to unlock your T7, or set its optional auxiliary heater remotely via your smartphone. In short there's more luxury and technology here than even the most LSD-addled brain of an original VW bus-driving hippy could possibly hallucinate.

Hybridization

More power, too. The T7 launches with a choice of 134 hp 1.5-liter TSI or 201 hp 2.0-liter TSi gasoline fours, while a 148 hp diesel joins the line up next year. All three drive the front wheels through a seven-speed DSG.

But the headline grabber is that PHEV option. Called the eHybrid, it mates a 148 hp 1.4-liter four with an 85 kW electric motor for a total of 215 hp and the ability to cover 'short, urban trips' in EV mode, though exactly how short, VW hasn't yet specified. Interestingly, the hybrid makes do with a six-speed DSG.

Commercial versions of the old T6 panel van were available with full electric power, though an 82-mile range and 17.4-second zero to 62mph time would hardly impress a Chevy Bolt driver, let alone a Tesla owner. But this one won't get a full EV option. That's the job of the ID.Buzz that's due to be unveiled in late 2022.

And finally, the Multivan gets a new name, or at least it does in the UK, where it was previously known as the Caravelle. Other markets are already familiar with the Multivan badge, but not the US, which hasn't received a VW bus since the T4 'EuroVan' was retired in 2003. North America isn't likely to get the T7 either, but the fact that the electric ID.Buzz has been confirmed for the US for 2023, more than makes amends.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/06/2022-vw-t7-multivan-forget-flower-power-its-all-about-hybrid-power/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

I really like it.  I'd get it over any other minivan I think.  It offers something unique.  It's probably VW's most compelling product?  And of course, it isn't coming to the US.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cawimmer430

Quote from: MrH on June 11, 2021, 07:45:32 AM
I really like it.  I'd get it over any other minivan I think.  It offers something unique.  It's probably VW's most compelling product?  And of course, it isn't coming to the US.

Looks like VW will only sell the full EV version of their van (I think it's called the "Buzz") in the US and not this one.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

I'm kinda waiting for the EV Bus. Won't launch until 2023/2024 last I heard
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Galaxy

It is kinda amazing that this is on the same platform as the Golf, and Polo are on. Although MQB has, quite literally, been stretched to the limits here. The long wheel base version is shorter then on the commercial based T6 (the short wheelbase version is longer though) and the towing and loading is lower. Hence, the California will remain on the commercial platform.