El Camino project car

Started by hotrodalex, October 04, 2008, 12:49:56 PM

hotrodalex

I finally picked up my El Camino yesterday. Like I said in the chat thread, I bought it on ebay for $3300. I planned to drive it home, but the engine has a rod knock problem and probably shouldn't be driven 50 miles on the highway (I confirmed the sellers worry about that, I took a little test drive before putting it on the trailer and I wouldn't trust it on the highway very long)

Anyways, here it is.

1969 Chevrolet El Camino

305 engine (not stock) with a rod knocking
Saginaw 4 speed
10 bolt open rear end
15' inch wheels
New tires
Black interior with bench seat
Needs new floors
Could use a new bed (it's banged up)
The rear bumper is in so-so shape. I got a new one from the seller for $100 and will put it on eventually.
Door locks need to be fixed
Parking brake needs to be fixed
Needs a new tie rod up front

And various other things. I have about a page long list of things to do.

Driving it home.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

:rockon:

are you gonna fix that 305, or just drop your camaro motor in?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

That Saturn...are you too embarrassed to mention it?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on October 04, 2008, 01:09:49 PM
That Saturn...are you too embarrassed to mention it?

It's my brother's car.

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on October 04, 2008, 01:00:25 PM
:rockon:

are you gonna fix that 305, or just drop your camaro motor in?

Swapping the 350 in. I'll probably rebuild the 305 anyways, but I don't know what I'll do with it after that. Might sell it or just keep it in the garage.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 04, 2008, 01:16:19 PM
It's my brother's car.

I'd rock it.  It better be 5-speed, though.  Saturn automatics are anemic.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Pommes-T

Gorgeous!!!!!  :ohyeah:

I love El Caminos, especially that age. Congratulations. Oh, and I also love the wheels..

Please keep us posted about what you do to that car!  :rockon:
'00 BMW 523i

Eye of the Tiger

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on October 04, 2008, 01:37:49 PM
I'd rock it.  It better be 5-speed, though.  Saturn automatics are anemic.

Automatic.  :cry:

hotrodalex

Quote from: Pommes-T on October 04, 2008, 01:41:46 PM
Gorgeous!!!!!  :ohyeah:

I love El Caminos, especially that age. Congratulations. Oh, and I also love the wheels..

Please keep us posted about what you do to that car!  :rockon:

I'm in love with the wheels too.  :ohyeah:

Quote from: NACar on October 04, 2008, 01:43:38 PM
T-56?

I'm not going to get a new tranny until I get a big block or something in it.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 04, 2008, 01:47:50 PM
Automatic.  :cry:

At least it's the DOHC model. 

My bro has the SOHC stick, and it actually feels fairly peppy.

ChrisV

Excellent project! Love those. And not too terribly bad condition, either.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

hotrodalex

Got to know the car a bit better today, kinda messed around with things (found bondo spots, looked at the floor more, looked at the underbody, messed with the engine to try to solve the knock, etc.) Got the parking brake fixed too.  :praise:

Eye of the Tiger

Are you going to paint it?

The Pirate

Badass, I love it!  Should be a fun project, too.  Have you ever post pics of the Camaro (I don't recall seeing any, but I very well might have missed that thread)?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on October 04, 2008, 03:59:11 PM
Are you going to paint it?

Eventually, after I get most of it finished. Right now it's black primer, which is what I would've done if it needed body work.

Quote from: The Pirate on October 04, 2008, 04:35:21 PM
Badass, I love it!  Should be a fun project, too.  Have you ever post pics of the Camaro (I don't recall seeing any, but I very well might have missed that thread)?

I've posted some of the Camaro. I can send you a PM or something if you want.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 04, 2008, 05:16:56 PM
Eventually, after I get most of it finished. Right now it's black primer, which is what I would've done if it needed body work.

Fire engine red! :wub:

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on October 04, 2008, 05:30:20 PM

Fire engine red! :wub:

I was thinking metallic orange or a nice, bright blue. Preferably with carbon fiber rally stripes (and that would be REAL carbon fiber)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 04, 2008, 08:26:47 PM
I was thinking metallic orange or a nice, bright blue. Preferably with carbon fiber rally stripes (and that would be REAL carbon fiber)

Metallic orange! How in in the heck do you make stripes out of carbon fiber? Wouldn't they stick up?

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on October 04, 2008, 08:28:02 PM
Metallic orange! How in in the heck do you make stripes out of carbon fiber? Wouldn't they stick up?

I would have to find someone to make me a carbon fiber hood and tailgate skin, then paint them leaving just the stripes exposed.

S204STi

Congrats!  Should be a fun project.  That's one of the nice El Camino body styles.

S204STi

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 04, 2008, 08:41:04 PM
I would have to find someone to make me a carbon fiber hood and tailgate skin, then paint them leaving just the stripes exposed.

That would be very cool.  I got to take a good look at the new Challenger with "CF" racing stripes, and it looked very cool. It would be even better with the real thing.

hotrodalex

Quote from: R-inge on October 04, 2008, 08:47:22 PM
That would be very cool.  I got to take a good look at the new Challenger with "CF" racing stripes, and it looked very cool. It would be even better with the real thing.

Yeah. I love those stripes. I saw a 'Cuda with carbon fiber bodywork (not sure if it was real or not) and was absolutely in love with it.

My first plan was for bare metal stripes, but I think those are going to become more and more common in the next 5-10 years. I want something fairly tame, but at the same time I want it to be unique and absolutely sweet.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 04, 2008, 08:26:47 PM

This blue is nice:

Chevelle of that same year, SS 396 four-speed (!), was parked across from my high school the whole time I went there. Idiots that owned it put 1980s Firebird seats in it.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

the Teuton

This car has the potential as a project to be greater than awesome.  I've always liked the El Caminos that looked like a Chevelle with the back chopped off.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Nice! My boy has a '69 Chevelle 396 in bright red that looks real nice. Yours would look good in black with th CF stripes 'tho. Does it have the in bed trunk or was that just an option on the 1970?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on October 05, 2008, 12:06:41 PM
Nice! My boy has a '69 Chevelle 396 in bright red that looks real nice. Yours would look good in black with th CF stripes 'tho. Does it have the in bed trunk or was that just an option on the 1970?

You know I did more research on the in bed trunk and it's not a factory option. It's a custom job. Though I think some dealerships did make them in house, which is why some people have thought it's from the factory. So mine doesn't have one but I plan on putting it in. I can keep my sound equipment (amps and other various electrical equipment) in it.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on October 04, 2008, 01:17:12 PM
Swapping the 350 in. I'll probably rebuild the 305 anyways, but I don't know what I'll do with it after that. Might sell it or just keep it in the garage.

I wouldn't bother with the Chevy 305. It is the worst small block Detroit V8 ever built owing to its tiny bore (can't use 350 heads). Any $$ spent on it will be wasted in that it will always be gutless and no one will buy it in the aftermarket for more than ~$200.

As a replacement engine, I'd personally opt for an economy-minded big-inch small block (~400 cubic inches) which you could have built at a local shop for ~ $2,000, and then opt for an Edelbrock Performer package, including roller cam and rockers, AL heads and intake, and carb for ~ $3,000. Should be good for a very steetable 1 hp/cubic inch.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on October 05, 2008, 01:23:23 PM
I wouldn't bother with the Chevy 305. It is the worst small block Detroit V8 ever built owing to its tiny bore (can't use 350 heads). Any $$ spent on it will be wasted in that it will always be gutless and no one will buy it in the aftermarket for more than ~$200.

As a replacement engine, I'd personally opt for an economy-minded big-inch small block (~400 cubic inches) which you could have built at a local shop for ~ $2,000, and then opt for an Edelbrock Performer package, including roller cam and rockers, AL heads and intake, and carb for ~ $3,000. Should be good for a very steetable 1 hp/cubic inch.

The 305 isn't a factory engine, I believe it's a crate motor. It sure is strong enough to be one. Plus I wouldn't be rebuilding it just to make a buck, it would be for fun.

Anyways, today I took off the door panels so I could look at the locks and found that I have two different doors. I'm pretty sure the drivers side is a '68 door while the passenger door is a '69. So that's two things to add to the list - new locks and a new drivers door.