Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: dazzleman on September 14, 2019, 01:34:24 PM
I like the Mercedes convertibles but I'm not crazy about their regular cars.

Get an A-Class Sedan - Polar White, Night Package and these wheels in either black or silver. ;)

It's a regular car, but it's worth it. I am loving mine (hatchback) and it finally feels like a proper premium product, something that was lacking on the last generation (and the CLA sold in the US).

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

Saw a Volvo C70 with the vanity plate "C70."

Just in case you didn't see the badge.

Galaxy

Just read on article about the Mercedes W140 S class, and they quote the former head of Design Bruno Sacco as stating that the proportions of the car were perfection... except that the Mercedes CEO of the time asked him to raise the roof to make more headroom, which ruined the design.

I can't unsee that...

Soup DeVille

Yeah, well designers are often miffed that their designs need to accommodate people, let them see out, and have the car have actual tires and enough ground clearance to get over a cigarette butt.

They don't even want to hear about such travesties as usable door handles or antennas.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on September 16, 2019, 03:24:34 PM
Just read on article about the Mercedes W140 S class, and they quote the former head of Design Bruno Sacco as stating that the proportions of the car were perfection... except that the Mercedes CEO of the time asked him to raise the roof to make more headroom, which ruined the design.

I can't unsee that...

Now that you mention it. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Never liked the W140, still don't.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

Totally wrote off the idea of getting a new outback.

Then drove to red river gorge this weekend. 3 hours on the way home. After an hour, stopped for gas. Drove the final 2 hours without stopping. Got home and could barely move my back was so stiff.

Drove to work this morning and had back issues all day. I might be test driving an outback and mazda3 this weekend. Going to get a new mattress from amazon too I think. I can't deal with these back issues. I'll gladly pay for a few thousand to resolve it with a car with better seats.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on September 16, 2019, 07:48:36 PM

Then drove to red river gorge this weekend. 3 hours on the way home. After an hour, stopped for gas. Drove the final 2 hours without stopping. Got home and could barely move my back was so stiff.

Drove to work this morning and had back issues all day. I might be test driving an outback and mazda3 this weekend. Going to get a new mattress from amazon too I think. I can't deal with these back issues. I'll gladly pay for a few thousand to resolve it with a car with better seats.

I have some lower back pain from time to time, Impreza totally exacerbates it, unless I use this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DRS4C9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I feel like an old man though.....)
Will

giant_mtb

Meh, don't feel bad.  I've been using seat cushions of various varieties in Taco for the last ~2 years and I'm only 29.  I like a cushy seat...no shame.  15 year old seats ain't the best.

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on September 16, 2019, 07:48:36 PM

Low back pain is the worst! When my back was bad, what I found really distressing was just the huge market for low-back pain remedies. My pain made me feel like such easy prey for hucksters. Even chiropractic medicine was starting to seem interesting, I was desperate.

You're stretching and staying active, I hope?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Rip out the driver's seat and install a Recaro.

I'm tempted to install a seat in the Bolt. The stock seat isn't great and sits higher than I like. But a Corbeau could fix that and give better support for autocross...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

How do electric cars do at autocross?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

afty

Quote from: Laconian on September 16, 2019, 10:38:58 PM
A Model 3 just won an SCCA autocross national championship:

QuoteAlmost as quickly as it began, the 47th running of the Tire Rack SCCA Solo National Championship came to a close, with the final 37 autocross classes concluding competition on Friday, Sept 6. The winners of these classes join the 35 champions who were crowned earlier this week on Wednesday, Sept. 4.

Notable among Friday's 37 provisional champions is David Marcus, who drove his Tesla Model 3 to the B Street win, marking the first title at the storied event for an EV.
https://racer.com/2019/09/06/scca-solo-nationals-electrifying-friday/

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 16, 2019, 10:12:09 PM
Rip out the driver's seat and install a Recaro.

I'm tempted to install a seat in the Bolt. The stock seat isn't great and sits higher than I like. But a Corbeau could fix that and give better support for autocross...
Do these things work?  I thought they were the rage among taxi drivers at one time.  Maybe still are.  A lot of tiny fingers massaging your back and buttock.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on September 16, 2019, 08:54:33 PM
Low back pain is the worst! When my back was bad, what I found really distressing was just the huge market for low-back pain remedies. My pain made me feel like such easy prey for hucksters. Even chiropractic medicine was starting to seem interesting, I was desperate.

You're stretching and staying active, I hope?

I'm not, that's part of the problem.  I feel much better when I'm deadlifting and squatting.  My core and back get a lot stronger and my posture gets better.

School + work + hellish commute these days makes working out really difficult.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Dropped my Crosstrek (75 thousand on the odometer) off at the dealership for oil change.  Takes synthetic.  Rear brakes and rotors have to be replaced.  I knew that going in.  Found out differential fluid also needs to be changed.  >$800 total.   :lockedup:

More and more I'm thinking to switch to an electric car next go around for my daily commuter. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on September 17, 2019, 08:11:36 AM
More and more I'm thinking to switch to an electric car next go around for my daily commuter. 

Do ittttttt

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 17, 2019, 09:35:44 AM
Do ittttttt

You saying the Bolt seats are so bad you want to put racing seats in is not a strong argument for it :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on September 17, 2019, 09:40:25 AM
You saying the Bolt seats are so bad you want to put racing seats in is not a strong argument for it :lol:

Most Corbeaus are more like touring seats.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 17, 2019, 09:51:42 AM
Most Corbeaus are more like touring seats.

Yeah, it'd be a mild seat with some bolsters but not full on racing bolsters or anything. And not a bare metal Kirkey. I'm actually looking at getting Corbeaus for the El Camino first, because the current bucket seats sit too high and my helmet rubs the headliner. I don't want anything too hard/uncomfortable though, since I still drive it long distances.

The Bolt seems like it would be amazing at autocross so a sport seat wouldn't be a bad upgrade.

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on September 16, 2019, 10:38:58 PM

Well, at least with the Bolt, it's suppose to be a great autocrosser.  But as far as I can see, they're better at that than at the track, something like the Tesla, you can only go all out with 1-2 laps and the battery overheats, so I wouldn't race one. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on September 17, 2019, 11:34:57 AM
Well, at least with the Bolt, it's suppose to be a great autocrosser.  But as far as I can see, they're better at that than at the track, something like the Tesla, you can only go all out with 1-2 laps and the battery overheats, so I wouldn't race one. 

Aren't Bolts limited to 90-something mph too? So not a great track day car. But it's got tons of torque, low center of gravity, and a small footprint. All the makings of a good autox car.

cawimmer430

Whoa, Brabus factory tour with Mr. AMG. Interesting stuff.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHs2IqEdxwA

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 17, 2019, 12:41:32 PM
Whoa, Brabus factory tour with Mr. AMG. Interesting stuff.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHs2IqEdxwA
I saw a behemoth with the Brabus name and logo on the back the other day.  I struck me as one of the ugliest SUVs on the road.  I believe it might've have been a GLE 850.  Sounded great though.

giant_mtb

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

There's a FB group called "underappreciated survivors" where that Tempo was posted. Pretty neat page...based on where I live and the fact that cars basically don't last (in good condition) more than 10 years, I get pretty hot and bothered when I see something from my childhood that's in excellent shape.

r0tor

Just imagine if it was a Lumina with a combo luggage rack/spoiler  :wub: :wub:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed