Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 09, 2022, 03:14:26 PM
Yikes. That sounds like a lot of work. I'm surprised the guy was using a truck in that good of condition to plow snow.

I don't think it has actually plowed anything in a long time.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 09, 2022, 06:05:42 PM

Same.  :shakesfist:  :partyon:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 09, 2022, 06:05:42 PM

Join the club.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Man, I've been working on this same truck. I finally got the front pipes and mufflers installed. I would be proud if I could have done it all in one day, but there have been so many hang ups. At least the customer is a cool guy who understands you can't rush art.

Eye of the Tiger

Today I got to drive a JDM RHD Suzuki Jimny 3 cyl turbo. Brings back memories of my Samurais. I love those things.

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Do you make vroomy noises while being an engine?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 28, 2023, 04:50:24 PM
Do you make vroomy noises while being an engine?

Mostly just groaning and creaking from my joints

MrH

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 28, 2023, 05:09:38 PM
Mostly just groaning and creaking from my joints

You're a real BMW.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MrH on January 30, 2023, 11:01:45 AM
You're a real BMW.

Thanks, I feel like one. Probably a 318ti autotragic that drove off a cliff.

r0tor

You got an inline 6" to put in dat?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

My big expensive OBD scanner recently bricked itself with an update exactly one month out of warranty, so I just ordered one of the Blue Driver bluetooth things that uses my iPhone. $90 on Amazon. It promises to do almost everything that my chonky brick used to do. Let's find out.
As a bonus, it is bluetooth, so I don't have to be tethered to the dash of a vehicle.
I also don't plan on doing mechanic stuff much longer, so no point in dropping $$$$$ on a new brick.

Eye of the Tiger

I failed at one of my last big mechanic jobs. I could not get the BMW running after replacing the engine. The computer system went haywire.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 29, 2023, 04:24:05 PMI failed at one of my last big mechanic jobs. I could not get the BMW running after replacing the engine. The computer system went haywire.

Eek!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Son and I changed oil and rotated tires on Odyssey in our garage. Only took an hour.... :lol:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Oh, BMW update. The BMW dealer found one of the ECM connectors not completely seated. Easy fix, but FML. I quit mechanicing.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 08, 2023, 03:27:09 PMSon and I changed oil and rotated tires on Odyssey in our garage. Only took an hour.... :lol:

Those always take me much longer than at a shop. I let the oil drain for a long time. And rotating tires takes forever if you don't have a lift! At least on the El Camino and Miata I can just rotate the tires when I swap autocross tires and all-seasons.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 08, 2023, 03:31:43 PMThose always take me much longer than at a shop. I let the oil drain for a long time. And rotating tires takes forever if you don't have a lift! At least on the El Camino and Miata I can just rotate the tires when I swap autocross tires and all-seasons.

Yup. Just letting the oil drain is a 2-beer job by itself. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

I need to set up a mechanic shop area in my stupid tiny driveway yard.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 08, 2023, 06:25:00 PMI need to set up a mechanic shop area in my stupid tiny driveway yard.

Do you have a tree with lots of shade?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 08, 2023, 07:32:45 PMDo you have a tree with lots of shade?

I have mega huge trees on the corners of the property. A yoooooge oak and maple.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 08, 2023, 03:31:43 PMThose always take me much longer than at a shop. I let the oil drain for a long time. And rotating tires takes forever if you don't have a lift! At least on the El Camino and Miata I can just rotate the tires when I swap autocross tires and all-seasons.

Two jackstands and finally bought a better jack than the silly bottle jack I had forever (wheels w/ bigger handle). Plus I was showing son how to do things and triple-checking my work....
Will

Morris Minor

The mobile mechanic who does my maintenance has one of these. The pump plugs into the 110v.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

A/C in the G37 was stinky so I changed the cabin air filter, can't remember when this was last done. With most cars there's an easy to reach little air box under the glove box. In the Infiniti it involves disassembly, extra-long screwdriver extensions, and much cursing.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

That's why I never did the cabin filters on Nissan/Infiniti. :lol: