EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 22, 2023, 12:28:19 PM
I'd like to get a closer look at some Chinese engineering. I am not impressed with American or German. Can it be worse? They just copy stuff.

I should share some YT review videos. The Chinese EVs are astonishingly good
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Ford also licensed Toyota's hybrid technology for most (all?) of their hybrid cars.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 22, 2023, 04:28:28 PM
Ford also licensed Toyota's hybrid technology for most (all?) of their hybrid cars.

the ecvt tranny is a magic worth licensing
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Yeesh... Doesn't sound like "Tesla superchargers for all" is going to solve much

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/27/charging-a-non-tesla-on-a-tesla-supercharger-long-term-kia-ev6/
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on March 27, 2023, 10:18:12 AM
Yeesh... Doesn't sound like "Tesla superchargers for all" is going to solve much

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/27/charging-a-non-tesla-on-a-tesla-supercharger-long-term-kia-ev6/

Until the are universal voltage and charging standards, it's going to be a mess.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 27, 2023, 05:46:35 PM
Until the are universal voltage and charging standards, it's going to be a mess.

Pretty wild how the government is basically forcing/enticing brands to spend $billions on developing EVs, but they haven't come out with a standardization for charging infrastructure to support it in any way/shape/form in the same sense of current gas stations.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 27, 2023, 05:52:47 PM
Pretty wild how the government is basically forcing/enticing brands to spend $billions on developing EVs, but they haven't come out with a standardization for charging infrastructure to support it in any way/shape/form in the same sense of current gas stations.

Yup.

Sometimes the market figures it out- Blu-ray vs HD-DVD. Railroad gauges.

Other times a standard needs to be set by a group: USB.

Yet other times gubment has stepped in to set a standard, which is hit or miss. But in this case, I think gubment should bring the players all together and hash it out.
Will

CaminoRacer

CCS is already the standard. It's just Tesla that doesn't conform. Nissan used CHAdeMO for the Leaf but is switching to CCS for new cars
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

The problem is that Superchargers rely on relatively low voltage and really high amps, relying on thermal monitoring protocols to exceed the conventional limits for the SC wire gauge. CCS cars don't have the capability so the SC delivers current at spec, nothing more. Also, higher-voltage cars need to internally boost the SC voltage to match their native voltage, which also is a ding on efficiency.

Supposedly the V4 superchargers will support much higher voltages and be able to send big power to 800-900V cars just fine.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 27, 2023, 07:15:55 PM
CCS is already the standard. It's just Tesla that doesn't conform. Nissan used CHAdeMO for the Leaf but is switching to CCS for new cars

I don't think there was a carrot or a stick beforehand, but as of a month ago the Biden administration's infrastructure bill made CCS compatibility a requirement for charging network stimulus $.

CaminoRacer

Looks like Chevy's electric crate engine package might come out in mid-2023. They've been talking about it since 2020.

I'm kinda tempted to EV swap my El Camino. EV Camino! The 200 hp Bolt motor is a bit smaller than I'd like, though. 300-400 hp & torque would sell me faster.

Laconian

El[ectron] Camino

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on March 28, 2023, 10:51:32 AM
El[ectron] Camino

I believe you now qualify to run GM's marketing department.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 28, 2023, 09:56:21 AM
Looks like Chevy's electric crate engine package might come out in mid-2023. They've been talking about it since 2020.

I'm kinda tempted to EV swap my El Camino. EV Camino! The 200 hp Bolt motor is a bit smaller than I'd like, though. 300-400 hp & torque would sell me faster.

TWO motors?......
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 28, 2023, 08:22:11 PM
TWO motors?......

If I were more adventurous, it could be done with two motors for an AWD Camino. But I'd have to rip out the whole front and rear suspension.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 28, 2023, 10:52:37 PM
If I were more adventurous, it could be done with two motors for an AWD Camino. But I'd have to rip out the whole front and rear suspension.

I would prefer you be adventurous with something else, like an old Jaguar.

Eye of the Tiger

I didn't even realize Kia had an EV6 GT, and how disgustingly fast it is.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 28, 2023, 10:52:37 PM

One motor per rear wheel?.....
Will

AutobahnSHO

Yesterday on the way home my favorite cloverleaf entrance was FULL of cars but light turned green right as I was still rolling up and in 3rd gear, so I floored it in the left lane knowing I could cut in to right lane without making anyone brake.

I did NOT see that the lead car starting from the red light was an "eMustang" who also floored it and whooped me so I fell in behind him but we were still both 5+ car lengths in front of the car which had been right behind him at the red light. He braked for the sharp right curve, I downshifted to 3rd and hugged his rear bumper around the curve and got ready to see how fast he would dust me. Sure enough max acceleration in Scrappy was absolutely no hope of keeping up as he blasted to the 65mph speed limit and I was 5-6 car lengths behind when I finally got there and merged.

Next car behind me was a good 1/8mile behind when they finally merged (probably at 50mph cuz everyone is scared to accelerate).
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 29, 2023, 03:57:31 PM
One motor per rear wheel?.....

I think all of the mainstream EVs are using 1 motor per axle not hub/wheel motors.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 29, 2023, 04:53:11 PM
I think all of the mainstream EVs are using 1 motor per axle not hub/wheel motors.

IIRC the Model S Plaid uses one motor per wheel in the rear.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 29, 2023, 04:02:30 PM
Yesterday on the way home my favorite cloverleaf entrance was FULL of cars but light turned green right as I was still rolling up and in 3rd gear, so I floored it in the left lane knowing I could cut in to right lane without making anyone brake.

I did NOT see that the lead car starting from the red light was an "eMustang" who also floored it and whooped me so I fell in behind him but we were still both 5+ car lengths in front of the car which had been right behind him at the red light. He braked for the sharp right curve, I downshifted to 3rd and hugged his rear bumper around the curve and got ready to see how fast he would dust me. Sure enough max acceleration in Scrappy was absolutely no hope of keeping up as he blasted to the 65mph speed limit and I was 5-6 car lengths behind when I finally got there and merged.

Next car behind me was a good 1/8mile behind when they finally merged (probably at 50mph cuz everyone is scared to accelerate).

LOL, EVs are like cheat mode for enthusiasts.

Laconian

The instant and explosive acceleration is amazing for squirting out from lumbering semi truck blindspots. If you see them start to veer into your lane, just plant your foot and BOOM. 30mph over the limit in a couple seconds. Oops. But at least the truck's safely receding into the distance.

And it's not just the power, it's also the total lack of transmission latency.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on March 29, 2023, 07:42:44 PM
The instant and explosive acceleration is amazing for squirting out from lumbering semi truck blindspots. If you see them start to veer into your lane, just plant your foot and BOOM. 30mph over the limit in a couple seconds. Oops. But at least the truck's safely receding into the distance.

I believe it, but I can't really BELIEVE it until I drive one.

Laconian

It's always good entertainment to let my EV-virgin friends take the wheel. I remember my first time.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 29, 2023, 07:42:44 PM.

And it's not just the power, it's also the total lack of transmission latency.

Totally!
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on March 29, 2023, 07:55:05 PM
It's always good entertainment to let my EV-virgin friends take the wheel. I remember my first time.

The only EVs I've driven are golf carts and go karts. I'm tempted to dress up like a fancy yuppie and try to test drive an EV6 or similar. Showing up in TUNDRA will add to the illusion.

Laconian

EV6es are still pretty scarce. I had to find a used one for my test drive and it was an accompanied test drive, bleh. A used Model 3 Performance might be a good pick for a joyride since they are relatively more plentiful and priced low enough that they won't be the pride and joy of the dealership.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on March 29, 2023, 07:55:05 PM
I lost my EV virginity in a Model 3 LR. My bookish, withdrawn, retired CDC scientist neighbor bought it. He took me out and let me drive, told me to switch it from Chill Mode to Standard, & then put my foot down. The thing went from the 50s into the 80s instantly - banging your head into the headrest. I was like "Holy Fuck!" This was just the vin ordinaire Model 3 - not the Performance.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Soup DeVille

A friend I have who works in GM says there was one version of the EV that while in development could do full throttle launches in crab walk mode.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator