New favorite YouTube channel - "Rare Classic Cars"

Started by GoCougs, September 18, 2021, 07:45:42 PM

Morris Minor

If you were shooting a movie set in the late-60s/early-70s, this is where you'd go to rent the cars for the sets.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Morris Minor

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 19, 2022, 05:57:02 AM
Was this peak GM? I'm in love with this.

The '63 Pontiac was always my favourite, mainly because of the taillight (rear end) design.

vs. 1965

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 19, 2022, 05:57:02 AM
Was this peak GM? I'm in love with this.

https://youtu.be/IdqzifXRBJw

Absolutely. I used to see one every year at the big car show in Columbus Ohio. Gorgeous cars.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

Another feature on his '72 Lebaron. Oh, boy, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. Interesting provenance on this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vGWaSvVMuM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on July 19, 2022, 01:08:06 PM
Another feature on his '72 Lebaron. Oh, boy, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. Interesting provenance on this one:
Just one of the all time great-looking cars.

GoCougs

Jesus, he bought another one. He gushes, stating it's GM's best styled car ever. Look at that red interior!

His last number of videos has shown his real house - a rather nice McMansion affair. Makes sense, as his car count now has to be 50. The (exceedingly modest) house featured in the earlier videos must be a second home, which appears to be where he does car work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O2TyPigiCI

Morris Minor

I contacted an automobile museum near here suggesting they might host an exhibit of some of his collection. They rotate a lot of stuff through, so crossed fingers.
https://savoymuseum.org/

GoCougs

Super cool - his channel's doing well - up to almost 60k subscribers.

Here's another FoMoCo product he gushes about -the most comfortable car he's ever driven - plus 460 V8 and 3.25:1 limited slip differential, so she scoots good I'm sure. Bought it for $5,500 three years ago WTF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbOIWXvcbak

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Morris Minor

The LTD cleanup begins:
https://youtu.be/mT3Q1DzclWM

GoCougs

Watched the vids on that car - amazing how much came back. Fantastic styling on these full size cars from 1965 till about 1970.

Morris Minor

Saw several comments that he should have claybarred before hitting it with the rubbing compound.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 13, 2022, 11:44:55 AM
Saw several comments that he should have claybarred before hitting it with the rubbing compound.

Not always necessary, but typically recommended. But on old school, heavily oxidized paint like that...meh, I probably wouldn't bother claybarring unless there were very obvious 3D contaminants like tar or sap or what have you.

GoCougs

Look at these FoMoCo (Mercury) beauties (yes, they're all his - by my figuring, at this point, he owns some 40 cars), and AFAIK they all have the then-largest available engine (390, 410 or 460) which is the case with most of his cars.

Morris Minor

His encyclopedic knowledge and flawless delivery are also impressive.

GoCougs

Not from his channel, but inspired by it. BaT has up for auction a 1965 Buick Riviera GS. The first gen Riviera was the beginning (1963) of GM's design dominance that carried on throughout the '60s, and this is peak of the marque. Dual quad 425, 3.42:1 posi and top notch shape (don't think those wheels are stock so I would axe those): 1965 Buick Riviera Gran Sport

FoMoJo

GoCougs

He has another Mercury. He says this is new to the channel:

FoMoJo

Morris Minor

A rare talent: going on camera and, with no script, no stumbles and no hesitations, convey an amazing wealth of knowledge.

One of the keys to good public speaking is knowing your subject backwards, forwards & sideways: this guy definitely has the chops.

GoCougs

His sometimes-guest, Mark/Marc, is no slouch either (he does go sorta too-deep on the design stuff IMO):

FoMoJo

Interesting video.  While the car was really not that impressive, the engine was.  As mentioned by the guy, the engine was extensively used in the UK by Rover.  What was not mentioned was that the engine, when modified, became a very serious racing engine, primarily the version by Repco Brabham which managed to win the 1966 Formula 1 championship.

Interesting article...'RB620' V8: Building The 1966 World F1 Champion Engine

GoCougs

Yep, there was nothing inherently wrong with the engine. The engine, and the cars it was in, were just way too far ahead (like 20+ years ahead) of the times. Americans were simply not ready for efficiency in weight, size and packaging. Such market changes wouldn't come till the early '80s with the GM A-body (Celebrity, etc.).

Morris Minor

The Brits first dropped that engine into the Rover P5, replacing an ancient wheezy heavy iron F-head 3-litre straight-six.
It was a revelation.
Then they put it in the new & smaller Rover P6, where it became a police force favorite (equivalent now to the Scat Pack Chargers used by state troopers in some jurisdictions)

Then, in 1970, it went into the Range Rover, which had been originally intended for farmers wanting something less bone-shaking then their beaten up Land Rovers, but rapidly became a phenomenal hit with in-town yummy mummies delivering the kids to their private schools.

Submariner2

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 26, 2023, 07:20:46 PMInteresting video.  While the car was really not that impressive, the engine was.  As mentioned by the guy, the engine was extensively used in the UK by Rover.  What was not mentioned was that the engine, when modified, became a very serious racing engine, primarily the version by Repco Brabham which managed to win the 1966 Formula 1 championship.

Interesting article...'RB620' V8: Building The 1966 World F1 Champion Engine

It survived in one form or another all the way up to the introduction of the L322 Range Rover in 2003, if memory serves me correct.
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550