Entering a divided highway from a Stop sign...

Started by Morris Minor, September 10, 2022, 08:04:25 PM

Morris Minor

... to make an unprotected left turn, do you have to make it a single-step maneuver, i.e. wait for traffic to clear from both directions?
or can you make a two-step maneuver: wait for traffic to clear from the left, enter & pause in the protection of the median while traffic from the right clears, then go?

Asking because someone in the neighborhood allegedly got a ticket for making a two-step left fm a stop sign. Cop told her you have to wait for traffic to clear from both directions.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

I've seen cops do it. It probably varies greatly by state.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 10, 2022, 08:04:25 PM
... to make an unprotected left turn, do you have to make it a single-step maneuver, i.e. wait for traffic to clear from both directions?
or can you make a two-step maneuver: wait for traffic to clear from the left, enter & pause in the protection of the median while traffic from the right clears, then go?

Asking because someone in the neighborhood allegedly got a ticket for making a two-step left fm a stop sign. Cop told her you have to wait for traffic to clear from both directions.

Depends greatly on how the turn lane is structured to go from the divided two lane to the side road.  Know the exact intersection you can share on google maps or something?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Depends on the amount of traffic for me.  I tend toward waiting for both to be clear and avoiding the suicide lane if I can, but if traffic is heavy, I'll use the suicide lane to play frogger.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on September 11, 2022, 11:31:48 AM
Depends greatly on how the turn lane is structured to go from the divided two lane to the side road.  Know the exact intersection you can share on google maps or something?
Here you go - Turning left fm Worley Crossroads to go south on GA 515.
https://goo.gl/maps/AdxXyuhBVXi3tho88
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

2-step is safer half the time. Trying to do 1-step can be too much for most people's brains to process fast enough.

Obviously waiting for the all-clear is the best, but in heavy traffic I'd rather do 2-step if the suicide lane is suitable for it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 11, 2022, 03:26:19 PM

That should be a roundabout or a freeway style entrance/exit...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

That looks like a terrible intersection. It should probably be a rotary.

Eye of the Tiger

MrH

Thanks.  I'd probably do that in 2 turns too.  Depends on how the traffic looked for each direction and how many were turning off the main road.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

That really doesn't look like a suicide lane to sit in to 2 step it since there is some strange u-turn lane you would be parking in
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

dazzleman

If there is a divided highway with 3 lanes in each direction, and no traffic light governing the intersection, it would be nearly impossible to execute a left turn in one step.  In that case, the only alternatives would be to either turn right and then later use a turnaround lane, or utilize a lane in the center divider between the two directions of roadway, assuming that lane is big enough that the car doesn't protrude onto the road in either direction.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

If you do a good burnout, traffic will slow down so you can pull out.

AutobahnSHO

So "Gordon Highway" on my way to work has at least a half dozen intersections like that. Although "technically" the legal thing is probably do a one-step, traffic would never flow if people didn't do the two-step I see people doing very frequently. MANY of the ones here are not even cross-streets, but a "T" intersection from/into a housing development, so the danger of a car sitting in the middle goes way way down.
Will